Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Strength of aircraft grade versus 6061 aluminum?

"John Doe" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:

As I understand it, 6061 is the strongest alloy that doesn't have
corrosion, brittleness and joining issues requiring extra
engineering analysis.

Sounds like a good general purpose aluminum for making stuff.
I suppose 6063 isn't much different. At McMaster, 6063 comes in a
few additional desirable forms for a non-machinist.

FWIW, 6063 has a little less strength than 6061 and a little less elongation
(ductility). But it's a bit more weldable, having lower zinc and copper
content.

It's basically an extrusion grade, with a little extra corrosion resistance
over 6061. Machineability is rated "fair" by ASM.

--
Ed Huntress