Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb himself[_4_] cavelamb himself[_4_] is offline

Default Strength of aircraft grade versus 6061 aluminum?

Stupendous Man wrote:

The boss got me a ten foot sheet of aluminum to make some odd shaped
cargo boxes for his 61 Land Rover. I laid out a nice pattern to make
them with as few riveted seams as possible, thought it seemed a bit
tough to cut but has no grade markings on it. I test bent a piece and it
cracked. I called the office and asked what was on the receipt. He got
1/8 6061 T6 on sale. I guess I will be annealing all the bend seams in
the morning with a rosebud.

Outta work fine, but OA is hot enough to melt the metal rather suddenly.
Amd teh thicker the metal, the more of a problem that seems to be.

I'm a coward and use propane. It's a lot safer.

Also, burning soot off of the surface is traditional, but a magic marker
works just as well - and is a lot easier to apply

How about that,
Metalworking advice from a programmer!
It is a really strange world these days, huh?

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)