Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Strength of aircraft grade versus 6061 aluminum?

It's thrown around pretty loosely these days, but the term originally
referred to the aluminum-copper alloys developed in Germany around WWI,
which were given the name Duralumin. They were similar to today's 2024.
Then other precipitation-hardening grades were developed, and the term
today usually refers to 2024, 7075, and maybe a couple of other grades in
the 2000- and 7000 Series.

But it's become a marketing term, like "billet," so you can't count on it
referring to a particular grade anymore.

Ed
My son had a project where he built jet engine hangers for a new, more
powerful C7 military transport jet engine. The billets for this project were
4" thick by 48" by 144". "The Kid" only knew it was a special military grade
AL alloy. He brought home a pile of scrap from this job. Any way to guess
what this stuff is and its properties? I've got a few hundred lbs.

Karl