Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default Strength of aircraft grade versus 6061 aluminum?

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
The boss got me a ten foot sheet of aluminum to make some odd shaped cargo
boxes for his 61 Land Rover. I laid out a nice pattern to make them with
as few riveted seams as possible, thought it seemed a bit tough to cut but
has no grade markings on it. I test bent a piece and it cracked. I called
the office and asked what was on the receipt. He got 1/8 6061 T6 on sale.
I guess I will be annealing all the bend seams in the morning with a
rosebud.
--
Stupendous Man,

It will bend across the grain, but likes to crack with the grain.

Harold