Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Noisy T&C grinder head

I have a particular tool and cutter grinder. Its head is noisy, in
fact, its noise resembles the sound of a rotary siren (though not as
loud). Would you say that the most likely cause of it is bad bearings?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 5:52:21 PM UTC-7, Ignoramus22345 wrote:
I have a particular tool and cutter grinder. Its head is noisy, in

fact, its noise resembles the sound of a rotary siren (though not as

loud). Would you say that the most likely cause of it is bad bearings?

As per usual iggy leaves out the name of the tool and cutter grinder he's talking about.

Has iggy made any effort to use a dial indicator to check it for run out?

Has iggy made any effort to spin it and feel for flat or hard spots?

Does anyone else besides myself get sick and tired of this cocksucker not providing enough information over and over for years on end leading many of us on wild goose chases.

Lets all keep jumping to provide help to this lazy, non-mechanical, inconsiderate, **** bag who can't be bothered to provide basic information or make any effort to figure out anything for himself.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 19:52:21 -0500, Ignoramus22345
wrote:

I have a particular tool and cutter grinder. Its head is noisy, in
fact, its noise resembles the sound of a rotary siren (though not as
loud). Would you say that the most likely cause of it is bad bearings?

Either in the head or in the motor

Gunner

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jon_banquer" wrote in message
[...]

Mark my words, someday he'll win a Darwin award.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a particular tool and cutter grinder. Its head is noisy, in
fact, its noise resembles the sound of a rotary siren (though not as
loud). Would you say that the most likely cause of it is bad bearings?

Either in the head or in the motor

Makes a lot of sense

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a particular tool and cutter grinder. Its head is noisy, in
fact, its noise resembles the sound of a rotary siren (though not as
loud). Would you say that the most likely cause of it is bad bearings?

Either in the head or in the motor

Makes a lot of sense

If the motor is tied directly to the spindle..remove the motor and
run. If you still hear the squealing..check the sheetmetal around the
fan and see if it got dented. If it still squeals...hold a long screw
driver to the bearing areas on each end and put the screw driver
handle in your ear for a stethescope.

If it comes from the spindle...pull the bearings AND MAKE A DRAWING of
it being disassembled (or take photos as you remove each part) and
order and install new bearings

Gunner

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;
*window licker on the short bus*"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

If the motor is tied directly to the spindle..remove the motor and
run. If you still hear the squealing..check the sheetmetal around the
fan and see if it got dented. If it still squeals...hold a long screw
driver to the bearing areas on each end and put the screw driver
handle in your ear for a stethescope.

Um... why not just use the _almost_new_ Snap-On Mechanic's Stethoscope he
bought for $2.00?

Seriously... It must've been over 40 years ago that I learned the value
of having an _actual_ professional stethoscope with interchangable probe
tips in the kit.

Especially for machines with big tin bodies around them, they're
invaluable for finding where the real noise is coming from.

Further, unless you stick it into a running fan, or light it on fire, a
good stethoscope is a one-time purchase.

There are inexpensive electronic versions with contact microphones, too.
I dunno if they'd last forever like mechanical ones do, but if you keep
the batteries stored separate from the tool, one should last many
decades.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Banquer wrote:
leading many
of us on wild goose chases.

Jon, one cannot be led on a wild goose chase unless one is _willing_ to
be led.

Ig may not ask the questions you approve of, but he also isn't demanding
that you, personally, spend your time to answer them. You _could_ just
ignore them... no?

You put more energy into complaining about them than many legitimate
answerers put into their answers!

That last question was one of those "well... DUH!" ones to me, too. But
at least when someone gives Ig an answer, he considers it, might use it,
tries to understand it. (FWIW, he GIVES answers to folks, too... about
higher math. No... polar trigonometry is not higher math. I mean
h.i.g.h.e.r. math...)

Ig's not like that dope who keeps coming back around asking things like
how to wire a welding circuit using steel wool for wiring, or why, just
because a drill bit is right-handed, couldn't he go ahead and use it in a
left-hand direction anyway!

So... Jon (seriously), if you don't like his questions, why burn so many
calories on telling him and us why you won't answer them? Just ignore
him!

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/30/2013 8:52 PM, Ignoramus22345 wrote:
I have a particular tool and cutter grinder. Its head is noisy, in
fact, its noise resembles the sound of a rotary siren (though not as
loud). Would you say that the most likely cause of it is bad bearings?

That's one theory. Second thought, is that
Gunner might have caught a couple volunteer
firemen looking around his back lot, and stuffed
them head first into the grease cap.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-10-31, Gunner Asch wrote:

Either in the head or in the motor

Makes a lot of sense

Is it possible to detach the two, scrape the
firemen out of the grease cup, and run the
motor alone? Put the firemen and the cutting
head back one at a time.

Is the tool big enough for zerks, or is it
perma lube? Some spray oil here or there, may
give you a quick diagnosis.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/31/2013 12:49 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

If the motor is tied directly to the spindle..remove the motor and
run. If you still hear the squealing..check the sheetmetal around the
fan and see if it got dented. If it still squeals...hold a long screw
driver to the bearing areas on each end and put the screw driver
handle in your ear for a stethescope.

If it comes from the spindle...pull the bearings AND MAKE A DRAWING of
it being disassembled (or take photos as you remove each part) and
order and install new bearings

Gunner

As an old man who grew up in the shadow of The Great
Depression, I'd use solvent of some kind, and clean
out the old bearings. Regrease them, and see if that
helped. I do think the drawings and photos are
excellent idea.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon fired this volley in
:

As an old man who grew up in the shadow of The Great
Depression, I'd use solvent of some kind, and clean
out the old bearings. Regrease them, and see if that
helped. I do think the drawings and photos are
excellent idea.

Stormy, grease (ner oil) never helps a screaming bearing. It might help
deaden the noise for a few minutes, but doesn't aid in the underlying
cause, at all.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon fired this volley in
:

As an old man who grew up in the shadow of The Great
Depression, I'd use solvent of some kind, and clean
out the old bearings. Regrease them, and see if that
helped. I do think the drawings and photos are
excellent idea.

Stormy, grease (ner oil) never helps a screaming bearing. It might help
deaden the noise for a few minutes, but doesn't aid in the underlying
cause, at all.

LLoyd

Thanks for telling us what does NOT work. Now....

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 05:56:59 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

If the motor is tied directly to the spindle..remove the motor and
run. If you still hear the squealing..check the sheetmetal around the
fan and see if it got dented. If it still squeals...hold a long screw
driver to the bearing areas on each end and put the screw driver
handle in your ear for a stethescope.

Um... why not just use the _almost_new_ Snap-On Mechanic's Stethoscope he
bought for $2.00?

Seriously... It must've been over 40 years ago that I learned the value
of having an _actual_ professional stethoscope with interchangable probe
tips in the kit.

Especially for machines with big tin bodies around them, they're
invaluable for finding where the real noise is coming from.

+1

Further, unless you stick it into a running fan, or light it on fire, a
good stethoscope is a one-time purchase.

So is the $3.99 HF stethoscope. frugal grinne

--
The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed
until they try to take it. --Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon fired this volley in
:

Thanks for telling us what does NOT work. Now....

Ok... Stormy, usually you 'get it' even if you don't have any experience
with something.

Let me ask YOU. If you had some precision bearings, and they were
galled, pitted, corroded, or just stuck... and you confirmed that
lubrication would not fix the problem... What would you do next?

Would you pump them full of valve grinding compound, and let them run a
few hours?

C'mon!

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon fired this volley in
:

Thanks for telling us what does NOT work. Now....

Ok... Stormy, usually you 'get it' even if you don't have any experience
with something.

Let me ask YOU. If you had some precision bearings, and they were
galled, pitted, corroded, or just stuck... and you confirmed that
lubrication would not fix the problem... What would you do next?

Would you pump them full of valve grinding compound, and let them run a
few hours?

C'mon!

Lloyd

The OP wants to know what to do with bearings that havn't
been tested, dissembled, and relubricated. At this point,
we're not to the relube point, yet. So, you're changing the
question.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Good point.

I bought a stethescope a few years ago for just this need..and found
out it works very well...but a screw driver works Almost as well and
doesnt need any special care in my tool box.

Shrug

Gunner

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;
*window licker on the short bus*"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 07:22:28 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 10/31/2013 12:49 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

If the motor is tied directly to the spindle..remove the motor and
run. If you still hear the squealing..check the sheetmetal around the
fan and see if it got dented. If it still squeals...hold a long screw
driver to the bearing areas on each end and put the screw driver
handle in your ear for a stethescope.

If it comes from the spindle...pull the bearings AND MAKE A DRAWING of
it being disassembled (or take photos as you remove each part) and
order and install new bearings

Gunner

As an old man who grew up in the shadow of The Great
Depression, I'd use solvent of some kind, and clean
out the old bearings. Regrease them, and see if that
helped. I do think the drawings and photos are
excellent idea.

True indeed. However...if it was surplus machinery..it probably had a
hard life..and more than likely cleaning and greasing old bearings
will increase the lifespan a small amount..but not really "fix" the
propblem. Shrug...When I fix a clients machine...I avoid putting
bandaids on them..I fix them properly so it has a much much longer
life span.

For a hobby shop..your method will probably be viable.

Gunner

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;
*window licker on the short bus*"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 06:08:57 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

Jon Banquer wrote:
[...]

Jon boi is a mentally ill disturbed whining bitch who is living his
miserable life in Section 8 housing and trying to grab onto the "good
old days"...though even in the Shining Times...he was a worthless
****.

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;
*window licker on the short bus*"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 09:35:40 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Stormin Mormon fired this volley in
:

Thanks for telling us what does NOT work. Now....

Ok... Stormy, usually you 'get it' even if you don't have any experience
with something.

Let me ask YOU. If you had some precision bearings, and they were
galled, pitted, corroded, or just stuck... and you confirmed that
lubrication would not fix the problem... What would you do next?

Would you pump them full of valve grinding compound, and let them run a
few hours?

C'mon!

Lloyd

The OP wants to know what to do with bearings that havn't
been tested, dissembled, and relubricated. At this point,
we're not to the relube point, yet. So, you're changing the
question.

There are bearings..and then there are high precision bearings.

Motor beariings may or may not be medium precison bearings

Spindle bearings ARE high precison bearings

Yes..Iggy could probably stuff oatmeal in the bearings of either one
and make it quiet enough to sell. And when the new owner gets it back
to his shop and it starts to squeal within an hour..they are going to
pull it down, check the bearings..descover the "oatmeal" used to
camoflage the squeal..and be less than comfortable buying the next
item Iggy has for sale.

Bearings of this nature are cheap enough. Motor bearings can be had
for $5 for the pair if you want to run Chinese bearings (I
dont..but..they work well enough for motors) However..spindle
bearings are High Precision bearings..and they might cost him $50 for
the pair. And when he sells it..he tells them he put brand new
NSK/SKS etc etc bearings in the spindle and they are very happy with
him and they buy other machinery from him with full confidence at his
asking price.

You dont work in the manufacturing/machinery repair industry...so you
really dont have a clue how the thinking works.

People who buy used machinery..know full well that they are not buying
a brand new machine...but they expect it to do what they are buying it
For..and unless they are told up front that bearings are bad...they
expect them to be "adequate". Bearings can be a pain in the ass to
replace in metalworking machinery. Seriously....

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...pressorRebuild

This (below) was a simple bearing repair..that required a forklift
just to remove the assembly..and the bearings themselves were $600 (5
bearings total)

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...aTurretRebuild

the photos above were just a sampling of the 50 (of each projec)t or
more I took while I was disassembling the turret..so I would know how
to put each back together again. As you will notice..the crack in the
casting was the issue with the turret..but because of the expense of
repairing the crack ($1800 for labor)...putting in new bearings was
indicated and the client agreed) Now they dont ever have to worry
about spending another $1800 just to remove the ******* again when a
bearing goes out..and it would have)

Its not...always like swapping out wheel bearings on your Chevy
Luv......

Gunner

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;
*window licker on the short bus*"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-10-31, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Stormin Mormon fired this volley in
:

Stormy, grease (ner oil) never helps a screaming bearing. It might help
deaden the noise for a few minutes, but doesn't aid in the underlying
cause, at all.

Bearings for these are $100 per pair, you need two pairs for the
spindle. It is not that big of a deal. Grease would not help bearings
with bad geometry.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Banquer wrote:
[...]

Only good for fertiliser.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-10-31, Gunner Asch wrote:

Either in the head or in the motor

Makes a lot of sense

Is it possible to detach the two, scrape the
firemen out of the grease cup, and run the
motor alone? Put the firemen and the cutting
head back one at a time.

Is the tool big enough for zerks, or is it
perma lube? Some spray oil here or there, may
give you a quick diagnosis.

I tried turning the spindle by hand, and I did feel some un-evenness
in the bearings.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/31/2013 10:13 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

You dont work in the manufacturing/machinery repair industry...so you
really dont have a clue how the thinking works.

Its not...always like swapping out wheel bearings on your Chevy
Luv......

Gunner

You know, that's both mistaken, and a bit
insulting. I'll have you know that I do
repair machinery.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 09:18:11 -0500, Ignoramus17776

On 2013-10-31, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Stormin Mormon fired this volley in
:

Stormy, grease (ner oil) never helps a screaming bearing. It might help
deaden the noise for a few minutes, but doesn't aid in the underlying
cause, at all.

Bearings for these are $100 per pair, you need two pairs for the
spindle. It is not that big of a deal. Grease would not help bearings
with bad geometry.

Often times you can get by with Grade 9s on the front and Grade 8s on
the rear. Just a heads up. Might save you $50-60 if you want to go
there...shrug.

Gunner

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;
*window licker on the short bus*"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Banquer wrote:
[...]

A true "Govnosos" of the worst sort

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;
*window licker on the short bus*"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-10-31, Gunner Asch wrote:

Either in the head or in the motor

Makes a lot of sense

Is it possible to detach the two, scrape the
firemen out of the grease cup, and run the
motor alone? Put the firemen and the cutting
head back one at a time.

Is the tool big enough for zerks, or is it
perma lube? Some spray oil here or there, may
give you a quick diagnosis.

I tried turning the spindle by hand, and I did feel some un-evenness
in the bearings.

If you can feel it..time to replace the bearings. Shrug

Gunner

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;
*window licker on the short bus*"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 10:29:05 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 10/31/2013 10:13 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

You dont work in the manufacturing/machinery repair industry...so you
really dont have a clue how the thinking works.

Its not...always like swapping out wheel bearings on your Chevy
Luv......

Gunner

You know, that's both mistaken, and a bit
insulting. I'll have you know that I do
repair machinery.

So what was the last "machinery" you replaced Grade 9 bearings in?

Gunner, who replaced the spindle bearings in his HLV-H last week,, and
is now replacing the threading gear box bearings (19 of them)

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;
*window licker on the short bus*"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:53:15 PM UTC-7, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
[...]

I can't think of anyone more deserving.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 31, 2013 4:08:57 AM UTC-7, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Jon Banquer wrote:

[...]

What I object to is the tone that Mark Wieber's clique of idiots now set in this newsgroup. It wasn't always this way until Wieber destroyed this newsgroup with his crossposting.

The focus of this newsgroup has shifted away from learning to be mechanical and learning how to think on your own to who can do the best job of getting on their knees and sucking Wieber's cock.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Banquer wrote:

[...]

I have spent over 20 years working in CNC machine shops. Mark Wieber has provided nothing but lies and lame excuses about why he never has worked as a machinist.

The **** hole Mark Wieber lives in, his inability to keep medical insurance, his constant excuses for not paying his bills, his reliance on drinking brominated vegetable oil 24/7 - 365, the number of dogs that have died from his neglect, his many phony death treats including his claim that he had something to do with Cliff Huprich's death, etc. show exactly who and what Mark Wieber truly is.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Banquer wrote:

[...]

I own you bitch and you know it. Don't you just hate that.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:19:44 AM UTC-7, Ignoramus17776 wrote:

I tried turning the spindle by hand, and I did feel some un-evenness

in the bearings.

So what does that tell you, numb nuts?

The reason you left this information out of your original post is?

Don't bother to answer because I had it right form the get go.

Suggest you get back on your knees iggy where you belong and keep sucking Weiber's cock. Sucking Weiber's cock is what losers like you and Larry Jackass do best.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:51:00 AM UTC-7, Gunner Asch wrote:

If you can feel it..time to replace the bearings. Shrug

As per usual one of your clique of idiot members can't think for themselves on even the most basic of tasks and needs your continued reassurances. No surprise there, is it, Wieber? You love it! You're the king of idiots! Time to celebrate, kick back and consume another brominated vegetable oil drink..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Thu, 31 Oct 2013 07:13:41 -0700

People who buy used machinery..know full well that they are not buying
a brand new machine...but they expect it to do what they are buying it
For..and unless they are told up front that bearings are bad...they
expect them to be "adequate". Bearings can be a pain in the ass to
replace in metalworking machinery. Seriously....

Also, there is the difference between expectations of what
constitutes "adequate". Which as I think about it, really means "this
machine has 500 hours to go before [e.g., the bearings] go." which,
for a production shop running machines 24/7 is less than a month. but
for a home shop, that may last ten years - and then the bearing will
need replacing because they've been sitting so much B-)

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Thu, 31 Oct 2013 06:42:24 -0700
wrote:

[...]

The general rule of thumb, especially for commercial operations,
is that as you have it "open" now, might as well replace the
'marginal' bits while you can.
I.e., when replacing the throw out bearing on a clutch, it really
doesn't make a lot of sense to decide the old clutch has a few
thousand more miles on it, and put it back in.
You tear a machine apart, you replace bearing/seals putting it
back together. Save having to shut down and do this all over again
"soon."
Of course, some of that is a judgment call. "Can I afford to be
cost effective?"
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus22345 wrote:

I have a particular tool and cutter grinder. Its head is noisy, in
fact, its noise resembles the sound of a rotary siren (though not as
loud). Would you say that the most likely cause of it is bad bearings?

Depends on the construction. If a standard 60 Hz motor with belts,
then definitely has to be bearings. If a universal motor or other
direct-drive high speed motor, then it may actually be designed that
way (although annoying). I have an air bearing PCB drill spindle
that can run up to 80K RPM or so. It has a "spurt" hole when the spindle
lines up with a hole in the housing that lets a burst of air out of
the bearings. It definitely sounds like a siren, and also uses a lot of
air.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 06:39:44 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 05:56:59 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
m:

[...]

Gets grease marks on you ear though :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-10-31, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus22345 wrote:

I have a particular tool and cutter grinder. Its head is noisy, in
fact, its noise resembles the sound of a rotary siren (though not as
loud). Would you say that the most likely cause of it is bad bearings?

Depends on the construction. If a standard 60 Hz motor with belts,
then definitely has to be bearings. If a universal motor or other
direct-drive high speed motor, then it may actually be designed that
way (although annoying). I have an air bearing PCB drill spindle
that can run up to 80K RPM or so. It has a "spurt" hole when the spindle
lines up with a hole in the housing that lets a burst of air out of
the bearings. It definitely sounds like a siren, and also uses a lot of
air.

Jon

It is a motor plus belt plus spindle.