Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Noisy T&C grinder head

On 2013-10-31, Jon Elson wrote:

Ignoramus22345 wrote:

I have a particular tool and cutter grinder. Its head is noisy, in

fact, its noise resembles the sound of a rotary siren (though not as

loud). Would you say that the most likely cause of it is bad bearings?

Depends on the construction. If a standard 60 Hz motor with belts,

then definitely has to be bearings. If a universal motor or other

direct-drive high speed motor, then it may actually be designed that

way (although annoying). I have an air bearing PCB drill spindle

that can run up to 80K RPM or so. It has a "spurt" hole when the spindle

lines up with a hole in the housing that lets a burst of air out of

the bearings. It definitely sounds like a siren, and also uses a lot of

air.

Jon

It is a motor plus belt plus spindle.

That's it, **** bag. Only let a few of the necessary details out when directly asked / cornered.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-10-31, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 05:56:59 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

[ ... ]

Further, unless you stick it into a running fan, or light it on fire, a
good stethoscope is a one-time purchase.

There are inexpensive electronic versions with contact microphones, too.
I dunno if they'd last forever like mechanical ones do, but if you keep
the batteries stored separate from the tool, one should last many
decades.

Lloyd

Good point.

I bought a stethescope a few years ago for just this need..and found
out it works very well...but a screw driver works Almost as well and
doesnt need any special care in my tool box.

I have one (if I could just find it again) which I bought back
in the 1960s which has both a 'Y' to join both ears to a single pickup,
or dual pickups so you can place one in one location and the other in
another location, and tell by the balance of sound which is closer to
the source of the noise you are tracking.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John B. fired this volley in
:

Gets grease marks on you ear though :-)

Heh! So does the good KD tools one, if you don't keep it in its bag, and
just let it roam around loose in the toolbox!

(PS... the Snap-On kit is good, comfortable to use, and expensive. The KD
Tools version is good, VERY UNcomfortable, and not expensive, at all).

I have not tried the Chinkalloy versions.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1 Nov 2013 03:31:50 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

On 2013-10-31, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Those were invented in New Mexico by Air Force doctors in July of
1947, northwest of Roswell. The APs would use them to distinguish,
um, 'illegal' aliens from humans for processing.

--
The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed
until they try to take it. --Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 06:20:26 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

John B. fired this volley in
:

Gets grease marks on you ear though :-)

Heh! So does the good KD tools one, if you don't keep it in its bag, and
just let it roam around loose in the toolbox!

(PS... the Snap-On kit is good, comfortable to use, and expensive. The KD
Tools version is good, VERY UNcomfortable, and not expensive, at all).

I have not tried the Chinkalloy versions.

I think KD and HF had the same mfgr. Good but quite uncomfortable,
with the hard plastic earpieces. Silicone rubber covers would really
help them.

Then again, they're used for only 3 minutes, and once a decade, so...