Default Face Frame: Modified Pan Head or Round Washer head screws

When building face frames is their an advantage to one or the type of
screws, Modified Pan Head or Round Washer head screws? Local lumber
store carries both and I don't know or see the reason for a
difference. Thanks

Keith
Chuck Hoffman

That's a little hard to answer without knowing how you intend to use the
screws.

Are you going to fasten the face frame to the carcase with screws? Are you
going to use the screws in pocket joinery to assemble the face frame? Or do
you have something else in mind?

wrote in message
When building face frames is their an advantage to one or the type of
screws, Modified Pan Head or Round Washer head screws? Local lumber
store carries both and I don't know or see the reason for a
difference. Thanks

Keith

keith

I am building an entertainment center and was using the screws for
pocket joinery in building the face frame and using screws to fasten
the face frame to the carcass. So I am going to be using them in both
instances, is one better than the other for either application.

Keith

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 00:57:15 GMT, "Chuck Hoffman"
wrote:

That's a little hard to answer without knowing how you intend to use the
screws.

Are you going to fasten the face frame to the carcase with screws? Are you
going to use the screws in pocket joinery to assemble the face frame? Or do
you have something else in mind?

wrote in message
.. .
When building face frames is their an advantage to one or the type of
screws, Modified Pan Head or Round Washer head screws? Local lumber
store carries both and I don't know or see the reason for a
difference. Thanks

Keith

Chuck Hoffman

For pocket joinery, use the round head washer type screws (Kreg supplies
screws specifically for this purpose). They tend to draw the joints tightly
together.

For fastening the face frame to the carcase, I'd use wood screws set into a
3/8 - 1/2" deep counterbore and plug the holes with wooden dowel that is of
the same or similar material as your face frame. The "bungs," if they're
visible at all, will look like a design element. You could even make them
of a contrasting material like black walnut.

wrote:

That's a little hard to answer without knowing how you intend to use the
screws.

Are you going to fasten the face frame to the carcase with screws? Are
you
going to use the screws in pocket joinery to assemble the face frame? Or
do
you have something else in mind?

wrote in message
. ..
When building face frames is their an advantage to one or the type of
screws, Modified Pan Head or Round Washer head screws? Local lumber
store carries both and I don't know or see the reason for a
difference. Thanks

Keith

Upscale

"Chuck Hoffman" wrote in message news:
For fastening the face frame to the carcase, I'd use wood screws set into

3/8 - 1/2" deep counterbore and plug the holes with wooden dowel that is

of
the same or similar material as your face frame.

That's one way to go. I prefer invisible nailing for attaching my face
frames.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...83&cat=1,41182

Leon

wrote in message
When building face frames is their an advantage to one or the type of
screws, Modified Pan Head or Round Washer head screws? Local lumber
store carries both and I don't know or see the reason for a
difference. Thanks

Keith

Tipically if the piece of wood with the pocket hole is a soft wood a larger
head screw is preferable to help prevent crushing the wood when tightening
the screw. Small head screws work fine on Hard woods.

Framing Nailer - Round or Clipped Head? JHeyen Woodworking 7 October 3rd 04 02:36 PM
Cleaning VCR - need help and a diagram Mike Electronics Repair 8 September 15th 04 03:54 PM
BP Round Ram J Head Adapter? dka Metalworking 1 March 17th 04 04:40 AM
Printer Reestit Mutton UK diy 16 October 31st 03 10:06 AM
Fisher cassette heads bg Electronics Repair 5 July 30th 03 05:04 AM