JHeyen

Default Framing Nailer - Round or Clipped Head?

Guys,

I'm getting ready to build a railing on a new deck, and want to get a
framing nailer.
It appears that I have to make a choice between a round head and clipped
head
nailer.

What are the pro's and con's of each style? Is there one that's favored
over the other,
for general nailing. For this project I'll be toe nailing the horizontal
railing members
(2x4) to the 4x4 posts. I'm assuming the clipped head nailer will leave a
smaller
nail hole. Does that also mean it doesn't provide as much holding power?

TIA,

Jeff

mel

Round head claims to have more holding power but clipped head holds more
nails per strip which is important to someone who is making his living with
the gun. Clipped head nails are usually cheaper which is also important.
IMO I would look instead for which gun feels good to you as far as weight
and handling. Also consider the availability of service and parts. Price
tag is also something to consider. If you are just going to be a casual
user just about any gun will be adequate.

Both nails are going to have sufficient holding power for most applications.
As far as installing a rail to a deck I would say that a screw would work
best. Especially if your fastener is going into end grain. Also, a normal
framing nail will corrode away before the wood needs to be replaced.

If you just want a new toy, buy a self feeding screw gun for this
application. If you just want a framing nailer, buy it but still use screws
(stainless or non-corrosive coated) for your deck railing.

Kyle Boatright

"JHeyen" wrote in message
Guys,

I'm getting ready to build a railing on a new deck, and want to get a
framing nailer.
It appears that I have to make a choice between a round head and clipped
head
nailer.

What are the pro's and con's of each style? Is there one that's favored
over the other,
for general nailing. For this project I'll be toe nailing the horizontal
railing members
(2x4) to the 4x4 posts. I'm assuming the clipped head nailer will leave a
smaller
nail hole. Does that also mean it doesn't provide as much holding power?

TIA,

Jeff

I've used both, and when I buy one it'll be the clipped head variety. A
clipped head nailer will hold the same number of nails with a shorter
magazine, which makes it much easier to use. The big plus of the round head
is that the finished product looks a little better (but only to you, because
nobody else will look that close).

KB

Bruce Litherland

I have to agree with a previous post. Why would you use nails?? I have nail
guns but my deck is held together with screws. You can use a corded or
cordless drill with a screw bit or an actual screw gun. Much more holding
power and will last longer.IMHO

Daniel

Not that you're framing a home or something like that, but local
building codes may restrict the use of clipped head nails in residential
construction. (I know, you're building a deck.)

JHeyen wrote:
What are the pro's and con's of each style? Is there one that's favored
over the other,
for general nailing.

I have a clipped head nailer from Senco (Frame Pro 601) that can use round
head nails...even though there is no restrictions in my area about clipped v.
round head. The round head nails I have are, of course, from Senco for the
nailer. They don't cost any more than the clipped nails either.

JHeyen wrote:

Guys,

I'm getting ready to build a railing on a new deck, and want to get a
framing nailer.
It appears that I have to make a choice between a round head and clipped
head
nailer.

What are the pro's and con's of each style? Is there one that's favored
over the other,
for general nailing. For this project I'll be toe nailing the horizontal
railing members
(2x4) to the 4x4 posts. I'm assuming the clipped head nailer will leave a
smaller
nail hole. Does that also mean it doesn't provide as much holding power?

TIA,

Jeff

Greg G.

JHeyen said:

Guys,

I'm getting ready to build a railing on a new deck, and want to get a
framing nailer.
It appears that I have to make a choice between a round head and clipped
head
nailer.

What are the pro's and con's of each style? Is there one that's favored
over the other,
for general nailing. For this project I'll be toe nailing the horizontal
railing members
(2x4) to the 4x4 posts. I'm assuming the clipped head nailer will leave a
smaller
nail hole. Does that also mean it doesn't provide as much holding power?

First, a clipped head nail has the same diameter head as a round head
nail, only the edge is "clipped" - like a letter D. This generally
means the magazine holds more nails for a given length. Although some
building codes, notably California and Florida, restrict the use of
clipped head nails, independent studies have show the heads have
almost the same holding power. It seems the bigger problem is pullout
in high winds - which can be minimized by using coated and/or
ring-shank nails.

This leads to my next question - why on earth would you use nails
anywhere on a deck. Screws are far superior - use galvanized or
stainless steel. Non hot-dipped galvanized steel nails should not be
used on pressure treated lumber or in an exposed location either.

FWIW,

Greg G.