Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Noisy T&C grinder head

On 2013-10-31, Jon Elson wrote:

Ignoramus22345 wrote:

I have a particular tool and cutter grinder. Its head is noisy, in

fact, its noise resembles the sound of a rotary siren (though not as

loud). Would you say that the most likely cause of it is bad bearings?

Depends on the construction. If a standard 60 Hz motor with belts,

then definitely has to be bearings. If a universal motor or other

direct-drive high speed motor, then it may actually be designed that

way (although annoying). I have an air bearing PCB drill spindle

that can run up to 80K RPM or so. It has a "spurt" hole when the spindle

lines up with a hole in the housing that lets a burst of air out of

the bearings. It definitely sounds like a siren, and also uses a lot of

air.

Jon

It is a motor plus belt plus spindle.

That's it, **** bag. Only let a few of the necessary details out when directly asked / cornered.