Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Noisy T&C grinder head

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 09:35:40 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Stormin Mormon fired this volley in
:

Thanks for telling us what does NOT work. Now....

Ok... Stormy, usually you 'get it' even if you don't have any experience
with something.

Let me ask YOU. If you had some precision bearings, and they were
galled, pitted, corroded, or just stuck... and you confirmed that
lubrication would not fix the problem... What would you do next?

Would you pump them full of valve grinding compound, and let them run a
few hours?

C'mon!

Lloyd

The OP wants to know what to do with bearings that havn't
been tested, dissembled, and relubricated. At this point,
we're not to the relube point, yet. So, you're changing the
question.

There are bearings..and then there are high precision bearings.

Motor beariings may or may not be medium precison bearings

Spindle bearings ARE high precison bearings

Yes..Iggy could probably stuff oatmeal in the bearings of either one
and make it quiet enough to sell. And when the new owner gets it back
to his shop and it starts to squeal within an hour..they are going to
pull it down, check the bearings..descover the "oatmeal" used to
camoflage the squeal..and be less than comfortable buying the next
item Iggy has for sale.

Bearings of this nature are cheap enough. Motor bearings can be had
for $5 for the pair if you want to run Chinese bearings (I
dont..but..they work well enough for motors) However..spindle
bearings are High Precision bearings..and they might cost him $50 for
the pair. And when he sells it..he tells them he put brand new
NSK/SKS etc etc bearings in the spindle and they are very happy with
him and they buy other machinery from him with full confidence at his
asking price.

You dont work in the manufacturing/machinery repair industry...so you
really dont have a clue how the thinking works.

People who buy used machinery..know full well that they are not buying
a brand new machine...but they expect it to do what they are buying it
For..and unless they are told up front that bearings are bad...they
expect them to be "adequate". Bearings can be a pain in the ass to
replace in metalworking machinery. Seriously....

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...pressorRebuild

This (below) was a simple bearing repair..that required a forklift
just to remove the assembly..and the bearings themselves were $600 (5
bearings total)

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...aTurretRebuild

the photos above were just a sampling of the 50 (of each projec)t or
more I took while I was disassembling the turret..so I would know how
to put each back together again. As you will notice..the crack in the
casting was the issue with the turret..but because of the expense of
repairing the crack ($1800 for labor)...putting in new bearings was
indicated and the client agreed) Now they dont ever have to worry
about spending another $1800 just to remove the ******* again when a
bearing goes out..and it would have)

Its not...always like swapping out wheel bearings on your Chevy
Luv......

Gunner

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;

---