Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Reloading Automation

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 01:18:33 -0500, Richard
wrote:

On 3/31/2013 12:40 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 18:23:23 -0500,
wrote:

On 3/30/2013 2:53 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

I hear that.

For what it's worth, this ammo came from my late father-in-law's
collection.

I went through all of that last night.
Factory loads (Winchester and Remington) were exactly 50 mm long.
Some of the handloads were 1 to 1.5 mm longer. So maybe...

But the real difference, and I'm guessing the reason these rounds (six
of then) wouldn't load is that the necks were bigger; fatter.
4 or 5 thousanths? Could that make such a difference?

Yes indeed. And they could..could have been reloaded as 32
Winchester..a cartridge that is identical to the 3030..but uses a
slightly larger diameter bullet.

I need to go back to school reading inch micrometers.
My large frame ones are all metric, but he small ones are inch.
I confuse easily these days...

A cheap digital caliper is a very good tool for the handloader. HF
sells em for under $15 and its all you need.

Gunner

Huh! I've checked them against the 32Win dimensions, and I do believe
you are right!

3030 = .308
32 Win =.321

would go into the chamber..but would hang up in the throat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.32_Winchester_Special

Gunner

From the obvious department of the obvious...
When in doubt, check the head stamp.

Well....Sometimes that works..others...not so well.

Ive made a considerable amount of 32 WS out of 3030 cases. When one
looks at the headstamp..it says 3030..and looks like 3030..

My Contender in both 30 and 357 Herret are also made from 3030
cases...and dont even look anywhere close,.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mop Handle Rape Automation

On Mar 27, 8:45*pm, "RogerN" wrote:
Possible metalworking content!

Ammo's difficult to find and usually expensive so any thoughts on taking a
progressive press and making it as automatic as practical?

I saw some interesting videos online of presses, some homemade case feeders,
bullet feeders, etc. *Some you only had to pull the handle, some had the
handle attached to a gear motor crank.

Any thoughts on suitable presses to start with?

I've been looking at Lee load masters, they are cheaper but maybe fore a
reason. *Can you use a better quality powder measure with the Lee load
master?

Or would I be better off starting with the Hornady Lock N Load or a Dillon?

My goal is to reload for now and further automate (case & bullet
feeders(homemade?)) later.

RogerN

I understand that some conservatives use mop handles to rape men and
women...maybe you would automate that with yourself.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/30/2013 1:01 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 11:55:08 -0500
wrote:

snip
But the real difference, and I'm guessing the reason these rounds (six
of then) wouldn't load is that the necks were bigger; fatter.
4 or 5 thousanths? Could that make such a difference?

Something to keep in mind is that the 30-30 case can be resized and
used as a 32 Special case. If your late father-in-law happened to have
a 32 Special around be very careful...

Here is a forum entry with some discussion on this:

http://www.shootersforum.com/levergu...r-special.html

Thanks Leon.
I'm learning - rapidly!

One of these four odd rounds was marked 32-20.
The others were marked 30-30.

And yes, he had a large collection of firearms.

I somehow managed to get home with 20 round of .45-70.
Wish I knew what those were for...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-30, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 21:36:56 -0500, Richard
wrote:

It IS an interesting question for any shooter, tho.

I have my new cowboy assault rifle to feed. (Eddie Likes!)
So I'm interested in rifle rounds (of the 30.30 Winchester flavor)

How does one get started reloading?
What is the basic equipment requirement?
Obvious mistakes not to make?

Assuming a minimum cost startup.
Buy bullets vs cast?
Gas seals?
Metal work on brass?
Primers?
Assembly?
Lube?

All that stuff?

1. Put the word out that you are looking for a reloading press. Just
about any reloading press...even...cringe..a Lee. (more on this later)

What I currently have

RCBS (check Ebay for examples)

Pacific
Lyman

I started with this

C&H

Never even heard of the one below. :-)

Hollywood

and way down at the bottom...Lee

Yep!

Dies are readily available

Very. I've gotten extras to upgrade my setup from hamfests and
eBay. (In particular, going for the carbide sizing dies for revolver
rounds.

If you are going to be reloading thousands of rounds per
sitting...then a progressive such as a Dillion are indicated. But they
really arent necessary for average reloaders and are not for beginners

Agreed. I've never felt the need for that, actually.

The 3030 Winchester shoots cast bullets just fine. Cast bullets can
be shot at speeds up to 2000 FPS or a little faster, given a good
clean and crisp rifle barrel and are dirt cheap to make, to prepare
and to keep on hand. Marlins...not so good for cast bullets...if you
have the "microgroove" barrel. The new Ballard barrels shoot cast just
fine.

In fact..the 3030 can be fired with lead bullets at speeds matching
factory jacketed ammo, with some knowledge of what you are doing.

Gas checks..the little bit of metal added to the base of "some"
bullets have gone up in price over the last couple years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_check

And -- somewhere between factory jacketed bullets and ones with
gas checks are the ones made with a swaging press. A top-end RCBS could
handle both that and the normal reloading tasks.

For cast bullets -- you want an alloy which is harder than plain
lead. Find things like old linotype metal or used wheel weights --
though I understand that they are now lead-free thanks to the
worry-warts. :-)

For swaged bullets, you start with soft plain lead.

I don't remember seeing swaging tools being pushed these days.

However..there are a number of really good tools out there today that
use aluminum flashing that make your own gas checks with. Figure $100
for a unit in one caliber, or look at one, and then machine your very
own.
http://www.freechex.net/

http://www.patmarlins.com/

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/37...aker_Dies.html

Interesting.

I tend to prefer (for revolvers) half jacketed semi-wadcutters.
And soft-point 3/4 jacketed bullets for the .22 Jet (no semi-wadcutters
for that caliber, and I'm n to sure how they would like the velocity
from the .22 Jet anyway. :-)

Gas checks are used on bullets that are going to be fired at speeds
over 1600 fps (in general in rifles) and the bullet has to be a gas
check type

Many of us out there dont bother using gas checks until we are up to
2000 fps, but it does take some knowledge of what works and what
doesnt work...got an experienced friend around and they can help you.

Now here is a caviat. You MAY get cast bullets to shoot just as
accurately as jacketed bullets. And in fact..you probably will. But it
does take a bit more "fiddly" to get them to shoot as well.

Including tuning the alloy.

There is
a trade off...some big money involved to shoot jacketed bullets..or
little money and a bit more time to get cast to shoot properly.

My RCBS Jr was purchased by me, new in 1977.

Hmm ... my RCBS A2 was closer to 1970 or so.

Its cranked out somewhere
over 2 million rnds since then. No issues. My RockChucker was
purchased in 1980ish..and its cranked out at least that many rounds.
No issues.

*Very* good tools.

My C&H AutoChamp III was used when I bought it in the early
1980s...and its approaching a million rounds. No issues.
My Lyman turret tool has done at least that many rounds. No issues.

I passed mine on to a friend who was getting started.

Ive had a number of Lee tools and the only ones that are still
around..are the "auto primes"..and Ive broken at least 3 of the
toggles in them over the years. Cost a couple bucks to replace..but
they broke. So I ordered extras the last time.

:-)

Figure if you buy new setup..it will cost $450 with a mold, Lee
melting pot, press, RCBS/Lyman lubricator and die, powder measure,
reloading press, shell holder and trays etc etc.

Or -- for swaged bullets, you need the swaging dies, a more
powerful and rigid press, but you don't need the mold, melting pot, and
lubricator.

[ ... ]

Now..if you want to simply try your hand at reloading ..buy a Lee
Loader and a hammer. Order bullets ..jacketed or cast online.
Powder, primers etc etc and you will be set to load your own for well
under $100, total.

However -- if you use this, be *sure* to wear safety glasses. I
started with one of these (.38 Special, FWIW). Fine-tuning the force
generated by the hammer is tricky, and you will pop a certain number of
primers. (Maybe having just the right weight hammer would help, but I
did not have a variety to try back then. :-) My eyes never got hit, but
I got primer blast on my forehead a few times, and a lot more often on
my fingers holding the rod. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeEl9wZyabc

Its not rocket science at the consumer level.

Agreed.

Good Luck,
DoN.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/30/2013 4:08 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 05:52:42 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Roger,
The most hazardous thing is the squib or ammo loaded with no powder.
The primer will give just enough pop to push the bullet down the
barrel a bit. Next round will chamber. if you pull the trigger, the
weapon will explode.
Karl

It Can explode. Or simply bulge the barrel

Gunner, with a nearly perfect 38/44 Outdoorsman that had (5) 158gr
JHPs lodged in the barrel and forcing cone when he got it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...22083 4900578

Tell me what you know of the story and what did you do with it? I've
been looking for one of those for YEARS! Want to part with it?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard on Sun, 31 Mar 2013 01:18:33 -0500
wrote:

[...]

From the obvious department of the obvious...
When in doubt, check the head stamp.

That reminds me of a story. Once a bunch of us gathered to do
some shooting. And on of the fellers was having so failure to feed
issues. Which in a bolt action rifle is just down right peculiar.
Now I had a dial caliper in my kit, and checked the bullet sizes.
Yep .30, near enough as never mind. Then for some reason, looked at
the other end. I don't remember if he was trying to load Enfield .303
into a 7.9mm Mauser, or vice versa, but - the cartridges were hanging
up in the magazine.
So head stamp is not the only issue. B-)
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 20:42:41 -0500, Richard
wrote:

On 3/30/2013 1:01 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 11:55:08 -0500
wrote:

snip
But the real difference, and I'm guessing the reason these rounds (six
of then) wouldn't load is that the necks were bigger; fatter.
4 or 5 thousanths? Could that make such a difference?

Something to keep in mind is that the 30-30 case can be resized and
used as a 32 Special case. If your late father-in-law happened to have
a 32 Special around be very careful...

Here is a forum entry with some discussion on this:

http://www.shootersforum.com/levergu...r-special.html

Thanks Leon.
I'm learning - rapidly!

One of these four odd rounds was marked 32-20.
The others were marked 30-30.

32-20 will fall into that rifle.

And yes, he had a large collection of firearms.

I somehow managed to get home with 20 round of .45-70.
Wish I knew what those were for...

Find his 45-70!! Its a marvelous firearm!

Gunner, serious 45-70 devotee!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 3/30/2013 1:01 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 11:55:08 -0500
wrote:

snip
[...]

The original rifle shooting that cartridge was the Trapdoor
Springfield. The NRA used to sell them surplus for around $5 or $10,
IIRC. That was before my time but there were still a few of the
originals around in the hands of Pennsylvania deer hunters when I was
a kid. It supposedly was the best "brush-buster" for Eastern hunting
in thick woods. Later comparisons showed that really wasn't true, but
it made a good story.

Gunner will tell you this but just in case you get ahead of him: the
original cartridges had pretty thin walls and are notorious for
head-separation problems if you overload them with modern powder. It's
tempting to do so because a smokeless load equivalent to the original
BP load produces a trajectory like a rainbow.

But the brass was thickened sometime late in its regular production
life, and a guy in my old rifle club, who had a Ruger #1 chambered for
it, told me that the recent brass is thicker still. He really souped
them up.

The old Trapdoors are fun, but they weren't the greatest shooters.
They could be pretty loose if they were old military rifles.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Roger,
The most hazardous thing is the squib or ammo loaded with no powder.
The primer will give just enough pop to push the bullet down the
barrel a bit. Next round will chamber. if you pull the trigger, the
weapon will explode.
Karl

It Can explode. Or simply bulge the barrel

Gunner, with a nearly perfect 38/44 Outdoorsman that had (5) 158gr
JHPs lodged in the barrel and forcing cone when he got it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...22083 4900578

Tell me what you know of the story and what did you do with it? I've
been looking for one of those for YEARS! Want to part with it?

That particular weapon is one of my pride and joys and will likely be
buried with me. Naw..tell you what..if I go first..Ill have the next
of kin send it to you, gratis. Just save this message for that day.
Now if YOU go first...I get what?

Did you browse around? That link should have taken you to some of my
goodies. If not..Ill send you via email to a link to my little
collection of boys toys.

As for the revolver in question..I wound up making a "mill" and
"milling" out all 5 slugs, a slug at a time. When I could get the
cylinder open, I then turned a rod to right at bore diameter and put
in a bit of linotype as a nose punch...., then using that to push out
the remaining jackets with a hammer. There is a small bulge in the
middle of the ejector rod housing, about .005 deep (measured from the
inside of the barrel), about .5 long which doesnt seem to harm
anything when shooting lead or jacketed slugs.

When I questioned the owner about it after I got the slugs out and
showed him the "bulge" ..he shrugged..said its not perfect anymore and
I could have it for the labor. I READILY agreed, shook his hand,
ushered him to the door and suggested that perhaps buying storebought
ammo would be a better choice for him.

I did take off the Ivory grips, sold them for a rather nice amount of
money and put on a set of Pachmeyers. Much nicer to shoot.

I actually sold it to him when I was running the pawn shop. It was
brought in by a widow who was selling off her dead husbands Stuff and
buying diamonds and gold. So she got a rather nice deal as the weapon
was virtually NOS..mint. She did mention she had tossed the
box...cringe.

As you can tell from the photos..its pretty nearly mint..probably 98%
and very very low time.

He got out of shooting shortly after that and I managed to buy a very
very nice P17 (you will see it in the listings) from him for very very
little money. Its now my "social" rifle and sports a nice coat of
desert camo and probably the most expensive scope Ive ever bought.
When the need is there to reach out..reach out and touch someone.....

I also got all of his reloading gear..thanks be....

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 3/30/2013 1:01 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 11:55:08 -0500
wrote:

snip
[...]

I have 2 rifles in 45-70 currently..and a Contender barrel.

Ive owned some 10 or more in my lifetime. Sold or swapped em off as
the stupid often do when something flashier or cooler turns up.
Sigh...the 1873 Springfields..those now are worth some real money.
Trapdoors are fun to shoot with the right light loads and modern
brass. I could slap myself for selling the 50-70 trapdoor..and do it
hard!!!

Sigh again.

Gunner, pondering on the 1871 Mauser he converted to 45-70... and then
traded off for something flashy and shiney..the Ruger Redhawk in
stainless

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 20:42:41 -0500
Richard wrote:

snip
I somehow managed to get home with 20 round of .45-70.
Wish I knew what those were for...

Ooooo! Why another "cowboy gun" what else!

Marlin built a 336 lever for .45-70. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_Model_336

There are a few pistols chambered for it too. I've heard that they are
more for bragging rights though than practical use. A .45-70 load is
usually slow burning and doesn't get up to speed very well with a short
barrel typical of most pistols (shrug).

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 13:59:07 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 20:42:41 -0500
Richard wrote:

snip
I somehow managed to get home with 20 round of .45-70.
Wish I knew what those were for...

Ooooo! Why another "cowboy gun" what else!

Marlin built a 336 lever for .45-70. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_Model_336

Its actually the Model 1985. Its considerably bigger than the standard
336.

There are a few pistols chambered for it too. I've heard that they are
more for bragging rights though than practical use. A .45-70 load is
usually slow burning and doesn't get up to speed very well with a short
barrel typical of most pistols (shrug).

Unless you handload.

I punch a 350gr JHP out of a 14" Contender at about 1300 FPS, and I
could go higher...but Im getting old and my wrists ....shrug

"When commenting on the 45/70 Contender loads they tested, Sierra
said, "At no place within the data section is recoil not
objectionable."

"That is probably one of my favorite all-time quotes, from a reloading
manual."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 11:40:44 -0700
Gunner Asch wrote:

snip
Unless you handload.

I punch a 350gr JHP out of a 14" Contender at about 1300 FPS, and I
could go higher...but Im getting old and my wrists ....shrug

Ya but... that is what I would call a "novelty" pistol. They kind of
abuse the whole purpose of a pistol like convenient carry and quick
deployment. Reminds me of the old Burt Reynolds and Clint Eastwood
movie "City Heat". Every time Burt gets a bigger gun Clint has one even
bigger yet. By the end of the movie he is lugging out a huge pistol
with a similar length barrel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Heat

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087062/

Lots of fun seeing what you can do with them though, just not very
practical...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 20:42:41 -0500
wrote:

snip
[...]

Ouch!
Yep, gun control.
Use both hands - and boxing gloves!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 20:42:41 -0500
Richard wrote:

snip
I somehow managed to get home with 20 round of .45-70.
Wish I knew what those were for...

Ooooo! Why another "cowboy gun" what else!

Marlin built a 336 lever for .45-70. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_Model_336

Its actually the Model 1985. Its considerably bigger than the standard
336.

Sigh...1895. My typo...sorry. Dislexia or something....

There are a few pistols chambered for it too. I've heard that they are
more for bragging rights though than practical use. A .45-70 load is
usually slow burning and doesn't get up to speed very well with a short
barrel typical of most pistols (shrug).

Unless you handload.

I punch a 350gr JHP out of a 14" Contender at about 1300 FPS, and I
could go higher...but Im getting old and my wrists ....shrug

"When commenting on the 45/70 Contender loads they tested, Sierra
said, "At no place within the data section is recoil not
objectionable."

"That is probably one of my favorite all-time quotes, from a reloading
manual."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

snip
Unless you handload.

I punch a 350gr JHP out of a 14" Contender at about 1300 FPS, and I
could go higher...but Im getting old and my wrists ....shrug

Ya but... that is what I would call a "novelty" pistol. They kind of
abuse the whole purpose of a pistol like convenient carry and quick
deployment. Reminds me of the old Burt Reynolds and Clint Eastwood
movie "City Heat". Every time Burt gets a bigger gun Clint has one even
bigger yet. By the end of the movie he is lugging out a huge pistol
with a similar length barrel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Heat

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087062/

Lots of fun seeing what you can do with them though, just not very
practical...

Oh the Contender isnt a novelty pistol in the slightest. But its not a
good concealed weapons permit either.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It will bring down a dear and the poacher as well.

I shoot 6.5mm TC/U in a .223 expanded brass - until I paid for a custom
head stamp and got my own brass. Now the neck is full thickness.

Martin

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I DID show Roger your pics and he actually teared up and I had to remind
him to close his mouth. I'll counter, you can have my 19, my oldest. I
bought him in '73 for $300 and has been my go-to tack driver since.
He's Nickle plated without a single flaw. I've already amended my will.

I like to buy Nickle plated Smiths. Most people photograph them
horribly and they get avoided in auctions. Then to my surprise, they
always arrive in beautiful shape. A few coats of hard wax and they look
like new. I doubt if my .41 had 100 rounds through it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Anyone have or use one of those electronic automatic powder weighing
systems? The ones I've seen have something like a motorized powder
dispenser that dispenses powder on the scale until the set weight is
reached.

I have heard these things work good but are slow, I was wondering if they
would work in addition to a regular powder measure. Say for example if you
wanted 50 grains, you could set your powder measure to throw maybe 48 grains
and let the automatic dispenser finish to the correct weight. Just
wondering if it would work that way, thought it might compensate for powder
errors.

I'm thinking a little on automating the reloading process, my progressive
press should be here tomorrow. I have an Allen Bradley PLC5 with a high
resolution card that can work with load cells. I could weigh powder out to
a specified tolerance and "Out of tolerance" charges could go back to the
powder supply. The PLC could also be used to monitor for mistakes that an
operator might not catch. Maybe someday we'll get ammo back on store
shelves, until then....

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 1, 11:02*pm, "RogerN" wrote:
[...]

Hey Roger...did the Easter Bunny bring you a new mop handle for
Easter?

God would disapprove...She thinks you are going to burn in Hell.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 22:14:18 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

It will bring down a dear and the poacher as well.

Indeed it will. A few years back I let a 475lb Russian Boar hold one
from about 65 yrds, quartering towards me. Went through the front left
shoulder, took out the heart and lungs, busted the right front
shoulder and I never did find the slug..but the exit wound was big
enough to stand a soda can in..and at least half the can was deep in
the wound. The poor ******* fell in his own hoof prints. He didnt
stagger around..he went THUMP into the ground right Now!

I shoot 6.5mm TC/U in a .223 expanded brass - until I paid for a custom
head stamp and got my own brass. Now the neck is full thickness.

Martin

Cool! Ive got a 7 TC/U Ive been fooling around with, but my favorite
is the 357 Herret with a 180gr spitzer. While recoil isnt anywhere as
stiff as the 45-70..range and tragjectory is much better.

Ive got a few other barrels as well.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...60970 7972930

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Its a deal. Ive made a note and put it inside the vault with a few
other directives and told the wife and penciled it in the notes
section of my will.

Only 100 rds? Geeeze dude..I shoot that out of my 57 about 2x a month
and have for a couple years. Got the molds and plenty of brass.

Now..no fair cheating, ok? I do plan on living to at least 300.

(VBG

Show Roger this

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...CMeUu5PErfKiRA

And let him browse these

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...MvEzuePweT9-AE

As for nickle plating..I take it you have never heard of Armaloy?

http://www.armoloyftworth.com/Armolo...plications.htm

As you may have noticed..I have had a few done with this treatment.

Ill leave the links open for a couple days, then Ill close them again.
As this isnt being cross posted into "no mans land", its safe enough.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 23:02:55 -0500, "RogerN" wrote:

[...]

The automated dispensing systems are indeed slow...and as far as Im
concerned..unnecessary. Ive handloaded hummm probably 1-3 million
rounds over the past 40 yrs and really found no need to automate
beyond something like a progressive press with a bushing in the powder
dispenser.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 1, 10:02*pm, "RogerN" wrote:
[...]

The automated scale bit is a solution in search of a problem. Just
not needed. The benchrest guys use measures and they're looking for
caliber-hole-sized groups. So minor weight variations in powder isn't
the main cause of group expansion. But if you've got the money to
blow, the equipment guys will thank you for your donation. All
factory ammo is made using powder measured by volume as well.

The other, really big, problem with those progressive presses is the
primer feed. All I've seen in production right now use stacks of
primers in a tube, anvil to face. If one goes off, you've got a
grenade. The manufacturers usually supply a chunk of pipe to mount on
the feeder so that if that happens, the blast goes up and not out.
Doesn't help at all if you drop the tube or fumble it outside that
shield. Guys have gotten skewered when that happens. The primer dust
needs to be removed from the working parts frequently. Priming is the
most dangerous part of handloading. One reason I like using the RCBS
hand primer is the blast shutter between the priming punch area and
the primer tray. Haven't popped one yet, but have mangled a few. The
trays are light plastic and the primers aren't stacked, not going to
generate a lot of shrapnel if they do go off. You'll be working with
little bits of primary explosive and they CAN bite!

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/3/2013 3:09 PM, Stanley Schaefer wrote:

[...]

Thank you for the note, Stanley.
Sounds like experience talking there.

I picked up the new Hornady reload book today.
Read the front section already and learned a lot of new stuff.
The proprietor at the local ammo shop offered to help, and also
suggested finding a local NRA instructor for the personal touch.

I'm ready to get started now.
My biggest concern is where to set up the bench...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/3/2013 4:42 PM, Richard wrote:

Also, just because of TMT, I renewed my NRA membership today.

But of course, he doesn't read any of this...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 03 Apr 2013 16:42:06 -0500
Richard wrote:

snip
I'm ready to get started now.
My biggest concern is where to set up the bench...

This thread got me poking around in reloading stuff again, haven't
messed with it for years... but I came across this portable bench:

http://leeprecision.com/lee-reloading-stand.html

Thought it might give you some ideas, other options to explore...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 3, 3:42*pm, Richard wrote:
[...]

My biggest concern is where to set up the bench...- Hide quoted text -

I worked off a Workmate for years when I had a small apartment, the
press got tee-nutted to a chunk of plywood, that got clamped to the
Workmate. It all broke down and fit in a closet between sessions.
Had both shotshell and metallic presses fitted up that way. When I
built a more permanent bench, I kept the plywood mounts and bolted
those down to the benchtop. Lee has a somewhat similar idea, although
it isn't as fancy as my bench(or as cheap). I have the lubri-sizers,
one powder measure and a case trimmer all set up the same. For
hunting trips, I've got one of the Lee hand presses plus a full outfit
of stuff that fits in an HF tool box, handles .44, .223 and .204 as
currently packed. So you don't HAVE to have a giant loading bench to
get going.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/4/2013 3:57 PM, Stanley Schaefer wrote:
On Apr 3, 3:42 pm, wrote:
[...]

Well, Stan, Leon, you've given me an idea of how to set up.

As a kid I built a model box for my rubber band flyers.
It was a storage box, but opened up to be a work table as well.

So maybe a storage box/reloading station on a Workmate would be
worth thinking about? Thanks.

I'm only doing 30.30 and .380 (Holy Cow - a buck a bang?)
So I won't need a lot of stuff.

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 16:36:12 -0500
Richard wrote:

snip
So maybe a storage box/reloading station on a Workmate would be
worth thinking about? Thanks.

A Lee Loader:

http://leeprecision.com/reloading-ki...loader-pistol/

that came with a used gun purchase wet my appetite years
ago. I didn't realize reloading could be done so easily. But I didn't
care at all for the hammering needed to work a Lee Loader. Started
using a large vise to manipulate the Lee Loader, that was a lot better.
Then I decided that a Lee Turret Press:

http://leeprecision.com/classic-turret-press/

wasn't all that expensive and I moved on to that. I had the press
mounted to a narrow piece of plywood which in turn could be C-clamped
to the kitchen table (when the boss wasn't looking Lee sells extra
turrets which you can leave your dies set up in and they used to come
with a plastic case to enclose them when not in use.

I have a worktable similar to one of these now:

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...03-c-10164.htm

that always has another piece of plywood clamped in it via a 2x4 piece
screwed to the latter (table clamps to the 2x4). I would probably
do the same as Stanley nowadays and clamp the press to that table
somehow.

Lee may not be the best stuff but I haven't had any trouble with it.
But I haven't loaded thousands of rounds either. Just oddball
combinations that you couldn't buy commercially back then. Like .44 mag
shot shells:

http://www.speer-bullets.com/product..._capsules.aspx

or 180 gr SP for the .44 mag...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/5/2013 2:33 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 16:36:12 -0500
wrote:

snip
[...]

Onlyest problem now - is finding the dies.

No 30.30 tools to be had anywhere...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 15:32:36 -0500
Richard wrote:

snip
Onlyest problem now - is finding the dies.

No 30.30 tools to be had anywhere...

Just looked, Midway had some odds and ends:

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userse...ensionid=11965

Lee Pacesetter 3-Die Set 30-30 Winchester
$30.49 - Available - Add to Cart

I noticed yesterday while looking for/downloading new reloading
catalogs that LOTS of stuff was out-of-stock, back-ordered,
sloow-boat... Good luck finding what your looking for, you need it ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/5/2013 4:21 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 15:32:36 -0500
wrote:

snip
Onlyest problem now - is finding the dies.

No 30.30 tools to be had anywhere...

Just looked, Midway had some odds and ends:

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userse...ensionid=11965

Lee Pacesetter 3-Die Set 30-30 Winchester
$30.49 - Available - Add to Cart

Bless you, Leon!
But you cost me a bunch of money today...

I called and spoke with a very knowledgeable young lady named Britney.
They did indeed have the dies - in stock!
Lee dies, but ok, that's what we'll start off with.

So I ordered those and added a small starter kit (that was also in stock!).
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937051/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-single-stage-press-kit

I think I can get brass, bullets and primers locally.
At least they were on the shelf here yesterday.
500 rounds of brass seems like a reasonable supply to keep on hand?

I read the Hornady book the other day and came to understand that this
really isn't rocket science. Good engineering attitude will pay off,
but it's not all that difficult.

I'm still curious how the necking works out, but have a local guy who
says he'll be glad to help me learn the ropes here.

I want to thank all of you guys who have added your knowledge, and
occasionally wisdom, to this thread. It would have been a lot more
intimidating otherwise.

Thanks

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 17:21:44 -0500, Richard
wrote:

On 4/5/2013 4:21 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 15:32:36 -0500
wrote:

snip
[...]

If you are not loading to get the nth degree of muzzle velocity than
it is a pretty routine procedure. Remember that millions, of "rounds"
were hand loaded routinely before the advent of cartridge weapons :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 4/5/2013 4:21 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 15:32:36 -0500
wrote:

snip
[...]

Might try some of those.
But mostly target plinking and whatnot...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tuesday I received my Lee LoadMaster progressive press for .223 Remington.
Adjusted and tested, weighed several powder charges, etc. I reloaded a few
cartridges last night and ran a small batch tonight, now I have 126 reloaded
cartridges plus 80 purchased. The 126 was the number of brass I had ready
to reload...

Some of my brass has crimped primers, I need to ream or swage them to the
correct shape. I have some other brass that has the Berdan sp primers. I
saw some info on the internet about drilling Berdan primers out to accept
regular primers.

Potential for further automation includes an escapement for case feeding and
a bullet feeder.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard wrote:

snip
I'm ready to get started now.
My biggest concern is where to set up the bench...

This thread got me poking around in reloading stuff again, haven't
messed with it for years... but I came across this portable bench:

http://leeprecision.com/lee-reloading-stand.html

Thought it might give you some ideas, other options to explore...

https://www.google.com/search?q=workmate%20reloading%20stand&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-aurora&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=t_1fUYPy J-rJiwLil4CIDg&biw=1024&bih=635&sei=xv5fUbrmGsH6iwLm q4CwDQ#imgrc=2DzdMoVCUtbTmM%3A%3BI-515GoCm6WmrM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi36.photobucket. com%252Falbums%252Fe3%252Fbuffybr%252FMisc%252FRel oading_bench.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.handload ersbench.com%252Fforum12%252F24512.html%3B1024%3B7 54

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ding_bench.jpg

http://www.ehow.com/how_5221731_make...-portable.html

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...n-bd-workmate/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:33:05 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 16:36:12 -0500
Richard wrote:

snip
[...]

Lee is ok for starter gear..but it wont hold up to thousands of rounds
of ammo

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...29931 0252690

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...36549 9398354

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...42575 0267234

Cast steel...RCBS, Lyman, Pacific etc etc are what will hold up over a
couple million rounds

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 4/5/2013 4:21 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 15:32:36 -0500
wrote:

snip
[...]

Thats a very good setup. Any questions you have about
reloading..call me

805-732.........5308

Gunner