Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default Reloading Automation

On 4/5/2013 2:33 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 16:36:12 -0500
wrote:

snip
So maybe a storage box/reloading station on a Workmate would be
worth thinking about? Thanks.

A Lee Loader:

http://leeprecision.com/reloading-ki...loader-pistol/

that came with a used gun purchase wet my appetite years
ago. I didn't realize reloading could be done so easily. But I didn't
care at all for the hammering needed to work a Lee Loader. Started
using a large vise to manipulate the Lee Loader, that was a lot better.
Then I decided that a Lee Turret Press:

http://leeprecision.com/classic-turret-press/

wasn't all that expensive and I moved on to that. I had the press
mounted to a narrow piece of plywood which in turn could be C-clamped
to the kitchen table (when the boss wasn't looking Lee sells extra
turrets which you can leave your dies set up in and they used to come
with a plastic case to enclose them when not in use.

I have a worktable similar to one of these now:

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...03-c-10164.htm

that always has another piece of plywood clamped in it via a 2x4 piece
screwed to the latter (table clamps to the 2x4). I would probably
do the same as Stanley nowadays and clamp the press to that table
somehow.

Lee may not be the best stuff but I haven't had any trouble with it.
But I haven't loaded thousands of rounds either. Just oddball
combinations that you couldn't buy commercially back then. Like .44 mag
shot shells:

http://www.speer-bullets.com/product..._capsules.aspx

or 180 gr SP for the .44 mag...

Onlyest problem now - is finding the dies.

No 30.30 tools to be had anywhere...