Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Reloading Automation

On 4/1/2013 4:31 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 00:42:38 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 3/30/2013 4:08 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 05:52:42 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Roger,
The most hazardous thing is the squib or ammo loaded with no powder.
The primer will give just enough pop to push the bullet down the
barrel a bit. Next round will chamber. if you pull the trigger, the
weapon will explode.
Karl

It Can explode. Or simply bulge the barrel

Gunner, with a nearly perfect 38/44 Outdoorsman that had (5) 158gr
JHPs lodged in the barrel and forcing cone when he got it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...22083 4900578

Tell me what you know of the story and what did you do with it? I've
been looking for one of those for YEARS! Want to part with it?

That particular weapon is one of my pride and joys and will likely be
buried with me. Naw..tell you what..if I go first..Ill have the next
of kin send it to you, gratis. Just save this message for that day.
Now if YOU go first...I get what?

Did you browse around? That link should have taken you to some of my
goodies. If not..Ill send you via email to a link to my little
collection of boys toys.

As for the revolver in question..I wound up making a "mill" and
"milling" out all 5 slugs, a slug at a time. When I could get the
cylinder open, I then turned a rod to right at bore diameter and put
in a bit of linotype as a nose punch...., then using that to push out
the remaining jackets with a hammer. There is a small bulge in the
middle of the ejector rod housing, about .005 deep (measured from the
inside of the barrel), about .5 long which doesnt seem to harm
anything when shooting lead or jacketed slugs.

When I questioned the owner about it after I got the slugs out and
showed him the "bulge" ..he shrugged..said its not perfect anymore and
I could have it for the labor. I READILY agreed, shook his hand,
ushered him to the door and suggested that perhaps buying storebought
ammo would be a better choice for him.

I did take off the Ivory grips, sold them for a rather nice amount of
money and put on a set of Pachmeyers. Much nicer to shoot.

I actually sold it to him when I was running the pawn shop. It was
brought in by a widow who was selling off her dead husbands Stuff and
buying diamonds and gold. So she got a rather nice deal as the weapon
was virtually NOS..mint. She did mention she had tossed the
box...cringe.

As you can tell from the photos..its pretty nearly mint..probably 98%
and very very low time.

He got out of shooting shortly after that and I managed to buy a very
very nice P17 (you will see it in the listings) from him for very very
little money. Its now my "social" rifle and sports a nice coat of
desert camo and probably the most expensive scope Ive ever bought.
When the need is there to reach out..reach out and touch someone.....

I also got all of his reloading gear..thanks be....

Gunner

I DID show Roger your pics and he actually teared up and I had to remind
him to close his mouth. I'll counter, you can have my 19, my oldest. I
bought him in '73 for $300 and has been my go-to tack driver since.
He's Nickle plated without a single flaw. I've already amended my will.

I like to buy Nickle plated Smiths. Most people photograph them
horribly and they get avoided in auctions. Then to my surprise, they
always arrive in beautiful shape. A few coats of hard wax and they look
like new. I doubt if my .41 had 100 rounds through it.