Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interesting machine

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 20:10:32 -0500, Ignoramus13603
wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

And you bought it to make Russian Field Jacket buttons, da?

--
Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice.
-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

Oh, jeez. I hope you're not planning to buy it. That's the kind of
machine you used to see in the automobile industry -- 40 years ago.

Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

Oh, jeez. I hope you're not planning to buy it. That's the kind of
machine you used to see in the automobile industry -- 40 years ago.

I already bought it. I hope that it weighs 50 tons.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

Oh, jeez. I hope you're not planning to buy it. That's the kind of
machine you used to see in the automobile industry -- 40 years ago.

I already bought it. I hope that it weighs 50 tons.

Yikes, that will take a week or two to dismantle and truck. I know you
have a big building, but can you even fit all that in with the other
stuff you have?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

Oh, jeez. I hope you're not planning to buy it. That's the kind of
machine you used to see in the automobile industry -- 40 years ago.

I already bought it. I hope that it weighs 50 tons.

Yikes, that will take a week or two to dismantle and truck. I know you
have a big building, but can you even fit all that in with the other
stuff you have?

That one goes straight to a scrap yard. I may save a few bits and
pieces, though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

Oh, jeez. I hope you're not planning to buy it. That's the kind of
machine you used to see in the automobile industry -- 40 years ago.

I already bought it. I hope that it weighs 50 tons.

For scrap, I assume?

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

Oh, jeez. I hope you're not planning to buy it. That's the kind of
machine you used to see in the automobile industry -- 40 years ago.

I already bought it. I hope that it weighs 50 tons.

For scrap, I assume?

Yes, definitely. A few useful things can be saved from it, but it is a
patently useless machine that no one can figure out, anyway. I hope
that it weighs 50 tons. I did see it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

Oh, jeez. I hope you're not planning to buy it. That's the kind of
machine you used to see in the automobile industry -- 40 years ago.

I already bought it. I hope that it weighs 50 tons.

Yikes, that will take a week or two to dismantle and truck. I know you
have a big building, but can you even fit all that in with the other
stuff you have?

That one goes straight to a scrap yard. I may save a few bits and
pieces, though.

I would think the motors and hydraulic power units would be more
valuable as-is than as-scrap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

Oh, jeez. I hope you're not planning to buy it. That's the kind of
machine you used to see in the automobile industry -- 40 years ago.

I already bought it. I hope that it weighs 50 tons.

Yikes, that will take a week or two to dismantle and truck. I know you
have a big building, but can you even fit all that in with the other
stuff you have?

That one goes straight to a scrap yard. I may save a few bits and
pieces, though.

I would think the motors and hydraulic power units would be more
valuable as-is than as-scrap.

I agree with you, especially about the motors. The power units, I am
not so sure, although I would hate to scrap them. The motors are
great, there is a lot of multiples on them. Good for phase converters
or whatever.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

Oh, jeez. I hope you're not planning to buy it. That's the kind of
machine you used to see in the automobile industry -- 40 years ago.

I already bought it. I hope that it weighs 50 tons.

Well, it should have LOTS of useful parts in it. Lots of
hydraulic valves, maybe even some Moog proportional servo valves.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

Oh, jeez. I hope you're not planning to buy it. That's the kind of
machine you used to see in the automobile industry -- 40 years ago.

I already bought it. I hope that it weighs 50 tons.

Well, it should have LOTS of useful parts in it. Lots of
hydraulic valves, maybe even some Moog proportional servo valves.

He's probably going to kill somebody one of these days soon; he's got zero
formal training and most of his "rigging" is junk that someone else has
discarded for safety issues.

IIRC, he's already come close at least once, while disassembling an overhead
crane.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

Oh, jeez. I hope you're not planning to buy it. That's the kind of
machine you used to see in the automobile industry -- 40 years ago.

I already bought it. I hope that it weighs 50 tons.

Well, it should have LOTS of useful parts in it. Lots of
hydraulic valves, maybe even some Moog proportional servo valves.

He's probably going to kill somebody one of these days soon; he's got zero
formal training and most of his "rigging" is junk that someone else has
discarded for safety issues.

IIRC, he's already come close at least once, while disassembling an overhead
crane.

You recall incorrectly. He witnessed some hacks nearly get killed
disassembling an overhead crane, he had nothing to do with it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-16, Pete C. wrote:

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

wrote:

[...]

You are correct. Someone else was doing the dismantling. Those people
are scrap metal gypsies (Romani).

I never buy overhead cranes, as a matter of fact, due to safety
concerns. Too heavy and too high for me to deal with. You need two
big telehandlers to remove them safely.

So much venom from this "precisionmachinist", all because I killfiled
him for off-topic posts. Doubtfully this is a successful , well adjusted
individual.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-16, Pete C. wrote:

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

wrote:

[...]

No, you use the crane itself--something you'd know if you had any real
rigging experience.

So much venom from this "precisionmachinist", all because I killfiled
him for off-topic posts. Doubtfully this is a successful , well adjusted
individual.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus13603" wrote in message
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

What did you pay for alladat?

You can proly estimate the weight pretty well.
Steel weighs 480#/cu ft, ditto copper, brass (approx), or 60# per 6" cube.
You could proly visually estimate an avg "spatial density" of select
measurable volumes pretty well, and come up with a grand total, good to +/-
15%.

I imagine it is going to take quite some time disassembling alladat, on top
of the rigging itself.
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-17, Existential Angst wrote:
"Ignoramus13603" wrote in message
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

What did you pay for alladat?

A lot!

You can proly estimate the weight pretty well. Steel weighs 480#/cu
ft, ditto copper, brass (approx), or 60# per 6" cube. You could
proly visually estimate an avg "spatial density" of select
measurable volumes pretty well, and come up with a grand total, good
to +/- 15%.

I imagine it is going to take quite some time disassembling alladat, on top
of the rigging itself.

I am still learning this scrap business.

My best guess is that there is 50 short tons of steel in it. (I hate
short tons, but scrap yards here operate in short tons)

My another guess is that disassembly and rigging, will take 4 days.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-16, Pete C. wrote:

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

wrote:

[...]

He makes everybody feel better about themselves!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus19014 wrote:

My another guess is that disassembly and rigging, will take 4 days.

Since this equipment will never be put into operation as-is again,
assuming it's ok with the place you're removing it from, don't be afraid
to separate sections with a big abrasive cutoff saw or for tighter areas
an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby,
but that will be the fastest way to get through mixed materials and get
on with the loading. Sawzalls are good too, but an abrasive wheel will
beat them for time on most materials.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-17, Existential Angst wrote:
"Ignoramus13603" wrote in message
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

What did you pay for alladat?

A lot!

Still being coy??
Sheeit, we ARE your 24/7 bidniss/tech consultants, so you SHOULD divulge
details.....

100,000# at 10c/# (retail) would be that place's expectation of scrap
payment ($10K), less what they'd have to pay to bring it to a yard. So if
you paid $10K, you paid waaaaay too much. $5K would proly be too much.
Well..... am I getting close?? LOL

But the parts value could be considerable. Old motors, tho, were not
renowned for efficiency. New Baldors (and others) are topping 98% (claimed)
effic -- ackshooly, for quite some time now..

I paid 6k.

Scrap yards pay me 290 per short ton, and with this much I hope that I
can get 300/ton.

There is steel, copper wire, electrical controls, valves, hydraulic
power units, and motors, among the sellable parts.

You can proly estimate the weight pretty well. Steel weighs 480#/cu
ft, ditto copper, brass (approx), or 60# per 6" cube. You could
proly visually estimate an avg "spatial density" of select
measurable volumes pretty well, and come up with a grand total, good
to +/- 15%.

I imagine it is going to take quite some time disassembling alladat, on
top
of the rigging itself.

I am still learning this scrap business.

My best guess is that there is 50 short tons of steel in it. (I hate
short tons, but scrap yards here operate in short tons)

Everybody uses short tons... easy conversion, I spose. 2,000#, right?

100,000# is about 200 cu ft of steel, or about 7 cu yds, or one cube about 6
ft on an edge.
If you "melted" alladat down, it should then fill those volumes. If that
seems visually reasonable, then dats proly what you got. If not, you need
to re-estimate.

This is not how I estimate, I go by known machines (like "cincinnati
vertical mill 14k lbs) and think, how many of those would be about
equivalent to this machine.

I am not great at estimating yet. But I have to learn. I keep
spreadsheets of how much I make from scrap machines.

My another guess is that disassembly and rigging, will take 4 days.

I'da thought more, but still in the ballpark. I don't scrap, just bring my
own **** to the yard in m'pickup, and DATS time-consuming. Dead LEAVES are
time-consuming.... lol

I used to do the same thing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-16, Pete C. wrote:

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Sam, offtopic posts? Are u kidding?
What is it with you assholes and killfiling, anyway?? Did you all run away
with yer toys when you were kids, as well??

Dude, PM is one of THE smartest people around here. Admittedly in need of
improved bedside manners, but sheeit, compared to the avg kill-filing
asshole here, dats really minor.

Bottom line is, you have simply vexed a small group who have the insight to
realize that you essentially milk rcm for personal gain. That some
inneresting offshoots occasionally occur from sed milking are purely
coincidental, but is apparently is enough to warrant a regular Group
Fellatio.
And some assholes think you warrant a book..... DAT gave me vertigo, let
me tell you..... I'm STILL wobbly from dat one....
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-17, Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

You should do alright.... proly not a windfall, but still worthwhile.
Depending on how you handle "parts", tho, you might have some of those for a
while.
Thank gawd for ebay....

If I had the money, space, I'd put alladis in a "manufacturing museum".
Lord knows, Merka already needs one.....
--
EA

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-16, Pete C. wrote:

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Iggy is full of ****.

--he killfiled me because his butt buddy Steve (who also tends to constantly
ask silly off-topic questions here) asked yet another silly off-topic
question at which point I asked if he was really THAT that ****ing
stupid....

What is it with you assholes and killfiling, anyway?? Did you all run
away with yer toys when you were kids, as well??

Dude, PM is one of THE smartest people around here. Admittedly in need of

Thanks but the reality is, I simply know how to find information without
having to call upon the generousity of others.

improved bedside manners, but sheeit, compared to the avg kill-filing
asshole here, dats really minor.

I killfile trolls, typically they've ended up here because some nincompoop
has included RCM into a crossposted political thread.

Bottom line is, you have simply vexed a small group who have the insight
to realize that you essentially milk rcm for personal gain. That some

I quickly grow tired of anyone who refuses to put in the effort it takes to
actuallly learn something, who always looks to someone else instead, for a
quick answer...

inneresting offshoots occasionally occur from sed milking are purely
coincidental, but is apparently is enough to warrant a regular Group
Fellatio.
And some assholes think you warrant a book..... DAT gave me vertigo, let
me tell you..... I'm STILL wobbly from dat one....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-17, Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

It is not really that good for a museum, it is not like steam punk or
some such. There is nothing remarkable about this, except the size.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 17, 1:46*pm, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

m...
On 2013-03-16, Pete C. wrote:

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
news:VPmdncwMyuA5997MnZ2dnUVZ_rqdnZ2d@giganews .com...

wrote:

[...]

"Iggy is full of ****."

iggy seems to be much better at scrapping stuff than actually making
anything. If iggy had to depend on making something for a living he'd
starve to death.

Steve B is a ****ing moron with no clues. I'm still scratching my head
on Steve B's recent post asking for welding advice because like iggy
he refuses to pay his dues.

"I quickly grow tired of anyone who refuses to put in the effort it
takes to actuallly learn something, who always looks to someone else
instead, for a quick answer..."

Describes both Steve B and iggy to a "T". Mark Wieber fills the gap of
those who quickly tire spoon feeding idiots. Weiber caters to this
kind of moron and in turn they are more than happy to suck up and
ignore Wieber's many lies.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news:aKydnZFYnLeV6N_MnZ2dnUVZ_oidnZ2d@giganew s.com...
[...]

What's remarkable is that when asked a simple question, like what you
paid for a piece of equipment, you feel the need to play games. I've
always noticed that those who have worked their ass off to gain skills
and who have real talent are more than happy to answer direct
questions and share anything they know because they realize how hard
they had to work to gain those skills. This is in direct contrast to
people like you who have very little in the way of mechanical skills
and haven't or refuse to pay their dues. People like you tend to play
games and hold back pertinent information as long as possible.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It's all about ego for morons like iggy and many others who post here.
Learning is secondary. Many of these idiots are too stupid to notice
that SVL has the kind of machining and mechanical talent they will
never have. Even when I use to fight with SVL I always acknowledged
how bright he was mechanically and I always read his posts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 17, 4:07*pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:

Bottom line is, you have simply vexed a small group who have the insight to
realize that you essentially milk rcm for personal gain.

EA

But in one way or another , we all milk RCM for personal gain. If we
did not get something from RCM , why would we log on.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

we all milk RCM for personal gain. If we did not get something from RCM ,
why would we log on.

Entertainment, silly goose...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 14:20:23 -0500, Ignoramus19014

On 2013-03-17, Gunner wrote:
On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 12:00:53 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Ignoramus19014 wrote:

My another guess is that disassembly and rigging, will take 4 days.

Since this equipment will never be put into operation as-is again,
assuming it's ok with the place you're removing it from, don't be afraid
to separate sections with a big abrasive cutoff saw or for tighter areas
an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby,
but that will be the fastest way to get through mixed materials and get
on with the loading. Sawzalls are good too, but an abrasive wheel will
beat them for time on most materials.

Good suggestions. Followed of course by a Blue Point Wrench.

This is definitely torch and chopsaw territory!

Got yourself a nice plasma cutter yet? Might be a good job for one.

Gunner

1. Lie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus19014 wrote:

My another guess is that disassembly and rigging, will take 4 days.

Since this equipment will never be put into operation as-is again,
assuming it's ok with the place you're removing it from, don't be afraid
to separate sections with a big abrasive cutoff saw or for tighter areas
an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby,
but that will be the fastest way to get through mixed materials and get
on with the loading. Sawzalls are good too, but an abrasive wheel will
beat them for time on most materials.

Good suggestions. Followed of course by a Blue Point Wrench.

This is definitely torch and chopsaw territory!

Got yourself a nice plasma cutter yet? Might be a good job for one.

This is heavier stuff, cutting bolts etc. Plus it will be at the job
site, not at my place.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus19014 wrote:

My another guess is that disassembly and rigging, will take 4 days.

Since this equipment will never be put into operation as-is again,
assuming it's ok with the place you're removing it from, don't be afraid
to separate sections with a big abrasive cutoff saw or for tighter areas
an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby,
but that will be the fastest way to get through mixed materials and get
on with the loading. Sawzalls are good too, but an abrasive wheel will
beat them for time on most materials.

Good suggestions. *Followed of course by a Blue Point Wrench.

This is definitely torch and chopsaw territory!

Got yourself a nice plasma cutter yet? *Might be a good job for one.

This is heavier stuff, cutting bolts etc. Plus it will be at the job
site, not at my place.

You think a plasma cutter can't cut "heavier stuff" ? Sounds similar
to your bull**** claim that only ARC welding is for real men.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 17, 10:17*pm, jon_banquer wrote:

Got yourself a nice plasma cutter yet? *Might be a good job for one..

This is heavier stuff, cutting bolts etc. Plus it will be at the job
site, not at my place.

You think a plasma cutter can't cut "heavier stuff" ? Sounds similar
to your bull**** claim that only ARC welding is for real men.

Plasma cutters can not cut very thick metal. Most plasma cutters are
limited to an inch or less , but do work on stainless.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 17, 7:29*pm, Ignoramus19014 ignoramus19...@NOSPAM.
On 2013-03-18, wrote:

On Mar 17, 10:17?pm, jon_banquer wrote:

Got yourself a nice plasma cutter yet? ?Might be a good job for one.

This is heavier stuff, cutting bolts etc. Plus it will be at the job
site, not at my place.

You think a plasma cutter can't cut "heavier stuff" ? Sounds similar
to your bull**** claim that only ARC welding is for real men.

Plasma cutters can not cut very thick metal. *Most plasma cutters are
limited to an inch or less , but do work on stainless.

It would not be practical to use a plasma cutter for scrapping
machines. Many reasons, such as them not being as portable, needing
compressed air, electricity etc, cut thickness and so on.

Wrong idiot. Some plasma cutters are very portable. See my comments on
inverter power supplies. Man are you ****ing stupid.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 17, 7:26*pm, " wrote:
On Mar 17, 10:17*pm, jon_banquer wrote:

Got yourself a nice plasma cutter yet? *Might be a good job for one.

This is heavier stuff, cutting bolts etc. Plus it will be at the job
site, not at my place.

You think a plasma cutter can't cut "heavier stuff" ? Sounds similar
to your bull**** claim that only ARC welding is for real men.

Plasma cutters can not cut very thick metal. *Most plasma cutters are
limited to an inch or less , but do work on stainless.

Dan

A lot of what needs to be cut on this machine is probably under an
inch.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 17, 7:26*pm, " wrote:
On Mar 17, 10:17*pm, jon_banquer wrote:

Got yourself a nice plasma cutter yet? *Might be a good job for one.

This is heavier stuff, cutting bolts etc. Plus it will be at the job
site, not at my place.

You think a plasma cutter can't cut "heavier stuff" ? Sounds similar
to your bull**** claim that only ARC welding is for real men.

Plasma cutters can not cut very thick metal. *Most plasma cutters are
limited to an inch or less , but do work on stainless.

Dan

Wrong. Very wrong:

http://www.metalworkingcanada.com/vi...t-fabtech-2012
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-17, Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

The American Precision Museum, which is full of old machine tools,
wouldn't touch something like that.

They wouldn't even take my little 1917 Taylor & Fenn knee mill. I
tried. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 19:26:51 -0700 (PDT), the renowned
" wrote:

On Mar 17, 10:17*pm, jon_banquer wrote:

Got yourself a nice plasma cutter yet? *Might be a good job for one.

This is heavier stuff, cutting bolts etc. Plus it will be at the job
site, not at my place.

You think a plasma cutter can't cut "heavier stuff" ? Sounds similar
to your bull**** claim that only ARC welding is for real men.

Plasma cutters can not cut very thick metal. Most plasma cutters are
limited to an inch or less , but do work on stainless.

Dan

How about one of those oxygen lance things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yJmYl9d-XI

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Looked like lots of bolts that take preform parts off.
Bet they are easy to take out - as they are used from time to time.

Main frame stuff is tough.

Martin