Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interesting machine

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 20:10:32 -0500, Ignoramus13603
wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

And you bought it to make Russian Field Jacket buttons, da?

--
Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice.
-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

Oh, jeez. I hope you're not planning to buy it. That's the kind of
machine you used to see in the automobile industry -- 40 years ago.

Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

Oh, jeez. I hope you're not planning to buy it. That's the kind of
machine you used to see in the automobile industry -- 40 years ago.

I already bought it. I hope that it weighs 50 tons.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

Oh, jeez. I hope you're not planning to buy it. That's the kind of
machine you used to see in the automobile industry -- 40 years ago.

I already bought it. I hope that it weighs 50 tons.

Yikes, that will take a week or two to dismantle and truck. I know you
have a big building, but can you even fit all that in with the other
stuff you have?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

Oh, jeez. I hope you're not planning to buy it. That's the kind of
machine you used to see in the automobile industry -- 40 years ago.

I already bought it. I hope that it weighs 50 tons.

Yikes, that will take a week or two to dismantle and truck. I know you
have a big building, but can you even fit all that in with the other
stuff you have?

That one goes straight to a scrap yard. I may save a few bits and
pieces, though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

Oh, jeez. I hope you're not planning to buy it. That's the kind of
machine you used to see in the automobile industry -- 40 years ago.

I already bought it. I hope that it weighs 50 tons.

Yikes, that will take a week or two to dismantle and truck. I know you
have a big building, but can you even fit all that in with the other
stuff you have?

That one goes straight to a scrap yard. I may save a few bits and
pieces, though.

I would think the motors and hydraulic power units would be more
valuable as-is than as-scrap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

Oh, jeez. I hope you're not planning to buy it. That's the kind of
machine you used to see in the automobile industry -- 40 years ago.

I already bought it. I hope that it weighs 50 tons.

For scrap, I assume?

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

Oh, jeez. I hope you're not planning to buy it. That's the kind of
machine you used to see in the automobile industry -- 40 years ago.

I already bought it. I hope that it weighs 50 tons.

For scrap, I assume?

Yes, definitely. A few useful things can be saved from it, but it is a
patently useless machine that no one can figure out, anyway. I hope
that it weighs 50 tons. I did see it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

Oh, jeez. I hope you're not planning to buy it. That's the kind of
machine you used to see in the automobile industry -- 40 years ago.

I already bought it. I hope that it weighs 50 tons.

Well, it should have LOTS of useful parts in it. Lots of
hydraulic valves, maybe even some Moog proportional servo valves.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

Oh, jeez. I hope you're not planning to buy it. That's the kind of
machine you used to see in the automobile industry -- 40 years ago.

I already bought it. I hope that it weighs 50 tons.

Well, it should have LOTS of useful parts in it. Lots of
hydraulic valves, maybe even some Moog proportional servo valves.

He's probably going to kill somebody one of these days soon; he's got zero
formal training and most of his "rigging" is junk that someone else has
discarded for safety issues.

IIRC, he's already come close at least once, while disassembling an overhead
crane.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

Oh, jeez. I hope you're not planning to buy it. That's the kind of
machine you used to see in the automobile industry -- 40 years ago.

I already bought it. I hope that it weighs 50 tons.

Well, it should have LOTS of useful parts in it. Lots of
hydraulic valves, maybe even some Moog proportional servo valves.

He's probably going to kill somebody one of these days soon; he's got zero
formal training and most of his "rigging" is junk that someone else has
discarded for safety issues.

IIRC, he's already come close at least once, while disassembling an overhead
crane.

You recall incorrectly. He witnessed some hacks nearly get killed
disassembling an overhead crane, he had nothing to do with it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus13603" wrote in message
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

What did you pay for alladat?

You can proly estimate the weight pretty well.
Steel weighs 480#/cu ft, ditto copper, brass (approx), or 60# per 6" cube.
You could proly visually estimate an avg "spatial density" of select
measurable volumes pretty well, and come up with a grand total, good to +/-
15%.

I imagine it is going to take quite some time disassembling alladat, on top
of the rigging itself.
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-17, Existential Angst wrote:
"Ignoramus13603" wrote in message
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

What did you pay for alladat?

A lot!

You can proly estimate the weight pretty well. Steel weighs 480#/cu
ft, ditto copper, brass (approx), or 60# per 6" cube. You could
proly visually estimate an avg "spatial density" of select
measurable volumes pretty well, and come up with a grand total, good
to +/- 15%.

I imagine it is going to take quite some time disassembling alladat, on top
of the rigging itself.

I am still learning this scrap business.

My best guess is that there is 50 short tons of steel in it. (I hate
short tons, but scrap yards here operate in short tons)

My another guess is that disassembly and rigging, will take 4 days.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus19014 wrote:

My another guess is that disassembly and rigging, will take 4 days.

Since this equipment will never be put into operation as-is again,
assuming it's ok with the place you're removing it from, don't be afraid
to separate sections with a big abrasive cutoff saw or for tighter areas
an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby,
but that will be the fastest way to get through mixed materials and get
on with the loading. Sawzalls are good too, but an abrasive wheel will
beat them for time on most materials.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-15, Ignoramus13603 wrote:
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

Machine has been disassembled. 4,000 lbs of scrap 3 phase motors and
also two potentially resellable new motors. 770 lbs of copper
wire. Miscellaneous parts also (the best are Vickers DG series
hydraulic pumps)

The steel is going to scrap yard tomorrow, will take at least two semi
truck trips.