Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Very interesting milling machine

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 9, 9:10 am, Ignoramus2823

That's an unusual machine. It's got the form factor of a horizontal
mill, but it's got a right angle sort of thing on the end of the
overarm to make it a vertical spindle.
It's from Boeing Surplus, and I wouldn't doubt it. They had some
weird stuff there last time I visited. Like the bandsaw that had a
warning not to cut anything less than 1" thick.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 9, 12:10 pm, Ignoramus2823

Looks like it'll act as a vertical, and a horizontal, and anything in-
between.

Nice size table!

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 9, 1:23 pm, wrote:
On Aug 9, 12:10 pm, Ignoramus2823

Looks like it'll act as a vertical, and a horizontal, and anything in-
between.

Nice size table!

Dave

I'm almost afraid to think of what it weighs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brent wrote:

On Aug 9, 1:23 pm, wrote:
On Aug 9, 12:10 pm, Ignoramus2823

Looks like it'll act as a vertical, and a horizontal, and anything in-
between.

Nice size table!

Dave

I'm almost afraid to think of what it weighs

Might keep your shop from being blown away in a tornado... Or might be
the only thing left unmoved...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 9, 1:37 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Brent wrote:

On Aug 9, 1:23 pm, wrote:
On Aug 9, 12:10 pm, Ignoramus2823

Looks like it'll act as a vertical, and a horizontal, and anything in-
between.

Nice size table!

Dave

I'm almost afraid to think of what it weighs

Might keep your shop from being blown away in a tornado... Or might be
the only thing left unmoved...

I think there are a few shops where the onyl time that machine could
enter it is AFTER the concrete has fully cured but before the walls
are built

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Brent" wrote in message
ups.com...
I think there are a few shops where the onyl time that machine could
enter it is AFTER the concrete has fully cured but before the walls
are built

That is exactly (well, almost) how my Cincy #2 got into my shop. I built
all but one wall and the ceiling near that wall, then had a big truck
wrecker pluck the mill from the flatbed and drop it neatly into my shop
(onto rollers). Rolled it out of the way, and finished the construction.

(and yes, I left a 5' wide "door" in one wall - filled in with framing but
removable - in case I ever decide to roll the thing out again G)

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 16:16:17 -0000, woodworker88
wrote:

On Aug 9, 9:10 am, Ignoramus2823

That's an unusual machine. It's got the form factor of a horizontal
mill, but it's got a right angle sort of thing on the end of the
overarm to make it a vertical spindle.
It's from Boeing Surplus, and I wouldn't doubt it. They had some
weird stuff there last time I visited. Like the bandsaw that had a
warning not to cut anything less than 1" thick.

Hey 88,

Not so unusual. Lots of new CNC machines use the method today, on
both knee-mills and bed-mills. That is quite a beefy one though.

And the sign you noted on a bandsaw is placed there so that the
unwitting don't try to cut off stock of less than three times the
tooth pitch, taking a huge chance of stripping every tooth from the
blade. Usually made for slow blade speed heavy stock removal, maybe
like cutting through say a 12" X 12" billet in under 4 minutes.

Take care,

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 11:10:33 -0500, Ignoramus2823

Looks like a nice little Huron universal mill. Every home should have one.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 00:20:21 +0100, Mark Rand wrote:
On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 11:10:33 -0500, Ignoramus2823

Looks like a nice little Huron universal mill. Every home should have one.

I did not bid because I could not decide whether to put it in the
basement or on the second floor...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 9, 8:03 pm, Ignoramus2823
wrote:
On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 00:20:21 +0100, Mark Rand wrote:
On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 11:10:33 -0500, Ignoramus2823

Looks like a nice little Huron universal mill. Every home should have one.

I did not bid because I could not decide whether to put it in the
basement or on the second floor...

Put it in the wife's sewing room...she will be the envy of the
neighborhood.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 11:10:33 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus2823 quickly quoth:

I'll bet that the seller, expecting $100 from the deal, is TOTALLY
ENTHUSED about the selling price of $7,377.77, eh?

--
The ancient and curious thing called religion, as it shows itself in the
modern world, is often so overladen with excrescences and irrelevancies
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus2823 wrote:

I did not bid because I could not decide whether to put it in the
basement or on the second floor...

Well if you put it on the second floor it soon would be in the basement

Strange name and image for a french machine.

http://www.bidadoo.com/ebayimages/2210787/23.jpg

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 21:09:56 -0700, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 11:10:33 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus2823 quickly quoth:

I'll bet that the seller, expecting $100 from the deal, is TOTALLY
ENTHUSED about the selling price of $7,377.77, eh?

I doubt that the seller cares even a bit, it is Boeing/Bidado...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default RCM: Very interesting milling machine

RCM: It's gooo-oood!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Aug 9, 9:10 am, Ignoramus2823

That's an unusual machine. It's got the form factor of a horizontal
mill, but it's got a right angle sort of thing on the end of the
overarm to make it a vertical spindle.
It's from Boeing Surplus, and I wouldn't doubt it. They had some
weird stuff there last time I visited. Like the bandsaw that had a
warning not to cut anything less than 1" thick.

Hey 88,

Not so unusual. Lots of new CNC machines use the method today, on
both knee-mills and bed-mills. That is quite a beefy one though.

That makes sense. It's like an adaptation of a ram/turret setup.

And the sign you noted on a bandsaw is placed there so that the
unwitting don't try to cut off stock of less than three times the
tooth pitch, taking a huge chance of stripping every tooth from the
blade. Usually made for slow blade speed heavy stock removal, maybe
like cutting through say a 12" X 12" billet in under 4 minutes.

Right. I should have thought of that--I'm familiar with the rule of
thumb--more than once I've been called upon to replace a bandsaw blade
that had more than 50% of its teeth missing.

Take care,

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

milling machine gilles Woodworking 6 February 17th 07 07:16 PM
milling machine gilles Woodworking 11 January 24th 07 12:23 PM
cnc milling machine gilles Woodworking 8 December 20th 06 04:36 AM
Interesting machine Charles Morrill Metalworking 8 January 10th 05 02:29 AM
F.S. Milling machine Dan Buckman Metalworking 1 March 10th 04 10:27 PM