Posted to rec.woodworking

Default cnc milling machine

hello every one i am looking to purchase a milling macine has anyone ever
used a milling machine to cut wood with i know that the speed is only
3000rpm if anybody has one please email me i would like to asked a few
question before buying one thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 00:26:38 -0800, "gilles"
wrote:

hello every one i am looking to purchase a milling macine has anyone ever
used a milling machine to cut wood with i know that the speed is only
3000rpm if anybody has one please email me i would like to asked a few
question before buying one thanks

it's not really a problem I do it all the time. You can use any speed
if you are not cutting the edges. just use HSS endmills.
you want to rig up dc so the dust does not get where it should not.
it does not really fly around though.
but what are you trying to do? maybe a cnc router would do it
better?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

hello every one i am looking to purchase a milling macine has anyone ever
used a milling machine to cut wood with i know that the speed is only
3000rpm if anybody has one please email me i would like to asked a few
question before buying one thanks

it's not really a problem I do it all the time. You can use any speed
if you are not cutting the edges. just use HSS endmills.
you want to rig up dc so the dust does not get where it should not.
it does not really fly around though.
but what are you trying to do? maybe a cnc router would do it
better?

Also, 3000 RPM would be a limit for an old CNC knee mill or similar, any
newer VMC has a much higher top RPM.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"gilles" wrote in message
.. .
hello every one i am looking to purchase a milling macine has anyone ever
used a milling machine to cut wood with i know that the speed is only
3000rpm if anybody has one please email me i would like to asked a few
question before buying one thanks

Here's one important item on my "If I Ever Hit The Lotto" gotta-have list.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g9959

-- Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

gilles (in ) said:

| hello every one i am looking to purchase a milling macine has
| anyone ever used a milling machine to cut wood with i know that the
| speed is only 3000rpm if anybody has one please email me i would
| like to asked a few question before buying one thanks

I have two CNC routers in my shop - and haven't ever used a CNC
milling machine for wood - but would guess that 3000 RPM would be a
marginal spindle speed even with 4-fluted cutters. I'd suggest trying
it out before spending your money.

On the other hand, you can probably build your own CNC router for wood
and plastic (and occasional use for aluminum and brass) for much less
than you can buy most used milling machines. There's a link below to
pictures of a small machine that I built in my shop...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have two CNC routers in my shop - and haven't ever used a CNC
milling machine for wood - but would guess that 3000 RPM would be a
marginal spindle speed even with 4-fluted cutters. I'd suggest trying
it out before spending your money.

the only issue with rpms is cutting the edge grain. slower rpms can
peel off chunks of wood. but there are ways around that. other then
that you can go as slow as you want.
purpleheart machines great. I have not tried softwoods though. but I
can do it at 80 rpms as long as I am really careful on the edge grain.
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

I do maple on a Matsuura VMC on a regular basis (some kind of helicopter
part). Generally run no faster than 3000 rpm to prevent burn marks. The
largest cutter I use is a 1.25 inch 6 flute. Run that one at about 2000.
Spindle speed is of little importance. Feed rate is everything. Never having
been around a CNC router, I don't have any idea what kind of feed rates you
guys run. Can't imagine it would be fast enough to have a reasonably heavy
chip load.

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
gilles (in ) said:

| hello every one i am looking to purchase a milling macine has
| anyone ever used a milling machine to cut wood with i know that the
| speed is only 3000rpm if anybody has one please email me i would
| like to asked a few question before buying one thanks

I have two CNC routers in my shop - and haven't ever used a CNC
milling machine for wood - but would guess that 3000 RPM would be a
marginal spindle speed even with 4-fluted cutters. I'd suggest trying
it out before spending your money.

On the other hand, you can probably build your own CNC router for wood
and plastic (and occasional use for aluminum and brass) for much less
than you can buy most used milling machines. There's a link below to
pictures of a small machine that I built in my shop...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/JBot.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

CW (in ) said:

| I do maple on a Matsuura VMC on a regular basis (some kind of
| helicopter part). Generally run no faster than 3000 rpm to prevent
| burn marks. The largest cutter I use is a 1.25 inch 6 flute. Run
| that one at about 2000. Spindle speed is of little importance. Feed
| rate is everything. Never having been around a CNC router, I don't
| have any idea what kind of feed rates you guys run. Can't imagine
| it would be fast enough to have a reasonably heavy chip load.

I feed 1/4" 3-flute bits at 90 inch/min and 14000 RPM in rock maple.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Nice. I see you do pay attention to chipload.

milling CNC Cliff Metalworking 0 January 4th 06 10:01 AM
Help on CNC Milling Machine Cliff Metalworking 0 December 29th 05 01:44 PM
I want to buy a CNC milling machine - please help me toe find a vendor Cliff Metalworking 0 December 20th 05 08:45 PM
CNC side milling need wisdom Peter-Gemini Metalworking 1 June 27th 05 05:42 PM
CNC Milling CU clad board for PCB prototype fabrication [email protected] Metalworking 7 February 16th 05 07:40 AM