Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus19014 Ignoramus19014 is offline

Default Interesting machine

On 2013-03-17, Existential Angst wrote:
"Ignoramus13603" wrote in message
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

What did you pay for alladat?

A lot!

Still being coy??
Sheeit, we ARE your 24/7 bidniss/tech consultants, so you SHOULD divulge
details.....

100,000# at 10c/# (retail) would be that place's expectation of scrap
payment ($10K), less what they'd have to pay to bring it to a yard. So if
you paid $10K, you paid waaaaay too much. $5K would proly be too much.
Well..... am I getting close?? LOL

But the parts value could be considerable. Old motors, tho, were not
renowned for efficiency. New Baldors (and others) are topping 98% (claimed)
effic -- ackshooly, for quite some time now..

I paid 6k.

Scrap yards pay me 290 per short ton, and with this much I hope that I
can get 300/ton.

There is steel, copper wire, electrical controls, valves, hydraulic
power units, and motors, among the sellable parts.

You can proly estimate the weight pretty well. Steel weighs 480#/cu
ft, ditto copper, brass (approx), or 60# per 6" cube. You could
proly visually estimate an avg "spatial density" of select
measurable volumes pretty well, and come up with a grand total, good
to +/- 15%.

I imagine it is going to take quite some time disassembling alladat, on
top
of the rigging itself.

I am still learning this scrap business.

My best guess is that there is 50 short tons of steel in it. (I hate
short tons, but scrap yards here operate in short tons)

Everybody uses short tons... easy conversion, I spose. 2,000#, right?

100,000# is about 200 cu ft of steel, or about 7 cu yds, or one cube about 6
ft on an edge.
If you "melted" alladat down, it should then fill those volumes. If that
seems visually reasonable, then dats proly what you got. If not, you need
to re-estimate.

This is not how I estimate, I go by known machines (like "cincinnati
vertical mill 14k lbs) and think, how many of those would be about
equivalent to this machine.

I am not great at estimating yet. But I have to learn. I keep
spreadsheets of how much I make from scrap machines.

My another guess is that disassembly and rigging, will take 4 days.

I'da thought more, but still in the ballpark. I don't scrap, just bring my
own **** to the yard in m'pickup, and DATS time-consuming. Dead LEAVES are
time-consuming.... lol

I used to do the same thing.