Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Interesting machine

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 15:55:41 -0500, Ignoramus19014

On 2013-03-17, Existential Angst wrote:
"Ignoramus13603" wrote in message
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two
hydraulic power units.

What did you pay for alladat?

A lot!

Still being coy??
Sheeit, we ARE your 24/7 bidniss/tech consultants, so you SHOULD divulge
details.....

100,000# at 10c/# (retail) would be that place's expectation of scrap
payment ($10K), less what they'd have to pay to bring it to a yard. So
if
you paid $10K, you paid waaaaay too much. $5K would proly be too much.
Well..... am I getting close?? LOL

But the parts value could be considerable. Old motors, tho, were not
renowned for efficiency. New Baldors (and others) are topping 98%
(claimed)
effic -- ackshooly, for quite some time now..

I paid 6k.

Scrap yards pay me 290 per short ton, and with this much I hope that I
can get 300/ton.

There is steel, copper wire, electrical controls, valves, hydraulic
power units, and motors, among the sellable parts.

You should do alright.... proly not a windfall, but still worthwhile.
Depending on how you handle "parts", tho, you might have some of those for a
while.
Thank gawd for ebay....

If I had the money, space, I'd put alladis in a "manufacturing museum".
Lord knows, Merka already needs one.....

It is not really that good for a museum, it is not like steam punk or
some such. There is nothing remarkable about this, except the size.

The American Precision Museum, which is full of old machine tools,
wouldn't touch something like that.

They wouldn't even take my little 1917 Taylor & Fenn knee mill. I
tried. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress