Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to cost efficiently clean rust from steel plate

I have a bunch of street plate steel, that I want to magically
transform into welding tables.

They have rust on them, it is not horribly deep, but it needs to be
removed.

What is the most efficient way to do it using, say, a 9 inch angle
grinder. What abrasive things are best for it?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus25707" wrote in message
news
I have a bunch of street plate steel, that I want to magically
transform into welding tables.

They have rust on them, it is not horribly deep, but it needs to be
removed.

What is the most efficient way to do it using, say, a 9 inch angle
grinder. What abrasive things are best for it?

I am interested in the answers that will come. For me, I would investigate
the possibilities of some sort of acid wash, followed with power wash.
Don't know if it would be a good thing to maybe hook up a floor polisher
with an abrasive pad, but I am thinking on staying away from the big grinder
idea, and going for a method that would be very easy. After that, I would
maybe consider soaking it with cooking oil and heating it with firewood,
just up to 350 F. to put a sealer on it. Maybe others will suggest a better
easier way.

After my last tangle with a grinder, I am not so fast to draw it out as my
first choice, and that 9" can be a mofo if you mess up just a little.

MHO, will follow the thread and see what is suggested, at times I need to
derust large areas, sometimes full lengths of 20 feet. I would only build a
bath for those if I was to get into a lot of it, but if I was moving that
much tubing, I'd keep just new oiled stock in the racks.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-01-24, Steve B wrote:

[...]

I am a little leery of putting those plates in a fire, one is that the
village may not like it, and two, the plates may get warped.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 24, 1:07*pm, Ignoramus25707 ignoramus25...@NOSPAM.
25707.invalid wrote:
I have a bunch of street plate steel, that I want to magically
transform into welding tables.

They have rust on them, it is not horribly deep, but it needs to be
removed.

What is the most efficient way to do it using, say, a 9 inch angle
grinder. What abrasive things are best for it?

It depends on what the rust is like. But for rust as you describe, i
wire brush and then use citric or phosphoric acid. For wire
brushing, I use what I have. A regular 1/2 hp motor mounted in a yoke
on a thing with three casters and a flexible shaft. A large angle
grinder and a cup brush might be better.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-01-24, Steve B wrote:

[...]

Can you take them somewhere to be abrasive blasted inexpensively? I
agree with the caution on the angle grinder, the last time I used a 9" I
could barely move my arms for a few days after.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

EvapoRust is your friend :-). Depending on size and weight, maybe put down
a thick polyethylene dropcloth sheet on the floor, put a couple of bars down
to hold the sheets 1/4" off the floor, then put a sheet down, prop the edges
of the plastic up to form a pool, and pour in the evaporust so the metal is
submerged. Put another plastic sheet over it to limit evaporation and go
away for a day or three. Pick that sheet up, drain off all the evaporust
you can, go wash that sheet and put in the next steel sheet. Will take some
time but very little effort or labor. If you can arrange a "sump" to get
the liquid deep enough in one spot, put in a little pump of some kind to
keep the stuff flowing and it will work faster. Warm it up and it will work
even faster - got any 500W halogen work lites? Just shine them on the rusty
steel.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames
"Ignoramus25707" wrote in message
news
I have a bunch of street plate steel, that I want to magically
transform into welding tables.

They have rust on them, it is not horribly deep, but it needs to be
removed.

What is the most efficient way to do it using, say, a 9 inch angle
grinder. What abrasive things are best for it?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-01-24, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus25707" wrote in message
news I have a bunch of street plate steel, that I want to magically
[...]

The way ig beats his effing meat on this ng, I'm sure he would have no
problem with a 15" angle grinder.
WhoTF would buy a 30" high welding table, anyway, besides a midget or a yogi
with a strong back????

But steve's floor sander/screens is a good idea. A belt sander would also
do.
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:

On 2013-01-24, Steve B wrote:

[...]

I know a welder with a table about that high if not a bit lower but the
table is about 8' x 12' and often used for building structural steelwork.
But steve's floor sander/screens is a good idea. A belt sander would also
do.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 25, 4:18*am, "Existential Angst" wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in message

On 2013-01-24, Steve B wrote:

[...]

A belt sander is often used for imparting "grain" to metal. Gives a
nice finish. I use to program and machine a ton of face plates for
Krell who makes very expensive audio amplifiers and this is how they
were finished. Luckily we subbed out that job or I would have been
stuck doing that as well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message

On 2013-01-24, Steve B wrote:

[...]

Now you're just stuck sucking your cock ring.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message

On 2013-01-24, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus25707" wrote in
message
[...]

That is inneresting -- almost always in alum, it seems.
I remember quite well the grained faceplates to stereo equipment, a very
common (and nice) motif, and then anodized. I always wondered about that
effect.

That's something I may be able to improvise, as well.
I was thinking of building a kind of "square timesaver" sanding unit, with 4
belt sanders mounted on each face of square/rect tubing, and just shooting
the tubing thru. Heh, mebbe next week.... LOL

Alum is such a pita, tho, really gums stuff up.
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus25707" wrote in message
news
I have a bunch of street plate steel, that I want to magically
transform into welding tables.

They have rust on them, it is not horribly deep, but it needs to be
removed.

What is the most efficient way to do it using, say, a 9 inch angle
grinder. What abrasive things are best for it?

If you still have that Tenant floor machine, this might work.

http://www.malish.com/dmb/diamabrush...ep-system.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus25707" wrote in message
news
I have a bunch of street plate steel, that I want to magically
transform into welding tables.

They have rust on them, it is not horribly deep, but it needs to be
removed.

What is the most efficient way to do it using, say, a 9 inch angle
grinder. What abrasive things are best for it?

Actually, I have the PERFECT solution! It' just not patented yet and in
prototype.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message

On 2013-01-24, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus25707" wrote in
message
[...]

Timesaver's are used all the time to give sheet metal parts a brushed
finish. It looks nice and it hides a lot of surface imperfections.

http://www.timesaversinc.com/content/metal-grinder-faq
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" mars@tacks wrote in message

Actually, I have the PERFECT solution! It' just not patented yet
and in prototype.

Wire brushes on a Roto-Tiller?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 18:21:28 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Tom Gardner" mars@tacks wrote in message
m...

Actually, I have the PERFECT solution! It' just not patented yet
and in prototype.

Wire brushes on a Roto-Tiller?

....get that "caressed" look on your lawn...

--
With every experience, you alone are painting your
own canvas, thought by thought, choice by choice.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus25707 wrote:
I have a bunch of street plate steel, that I want to magically
transform into welding tables.

They have rust on them, it is not horribly deep, but it needs to be
removed.

What is the most efficient way to do it using, say, a 9 inch angle
grinder. What abrasive things are best for it?

How large?

If you have the room and they will fit you could use an electrolytic
bath. I have one built from a water tank, Another one from a couple poly
drums. For you maybe something like the kiddy pools or the small
livestock tanks. They grab some PH+ chemical from a pool supply outfit (
soda ash, washing soda, sodium carbonate )

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp
http://www.instructables.com/id/Elec...val-aka-Magic/

You can basically make a tank out of anything that will hold water BUT
it cannot be metal unless you line it with something non-conductive.

I have done full car frames. You can do the interior using electrodes
with standoffs to keep them from grounding out. I used cheap foam.
Works great on things like motorcycle tanks as well.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 25, 9:43*pm, jon_banquer wrote:

I try very hard not to surround myself with brain dead morons. You're
a brain dead moron and I don't give a **** how much money you spent to
go to a "respectable college".

Suggest if you want a real friend then get a dog.

Only a brain dead moron would complain abut the lack of posts on metal
working and then proceed to complain about posts about metal working.
And I don't care about how much money you spent to go to a trade
school.

Haven't seen any pictures of your shop or posts from you about
recreational metalworking.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 25, 6:57*pm, " wrote:
On Jan 25, 9:43*pm, jon_banquer wrote:

I try very hard not to surround myself with brain dead morons. You're
a brain dead moron and I don't give a **** how much money you spent to
go to a "respectable college".

Suggest if you want a real friend then get a dog.

Only a brain dead moron would complain abut the lack of posts on metal
working and then proceed to complain about posts about metal working.
And I don't care about how much money you spent to go to a trade
school.

Haven't seen any pictures of your shop or posts from you about
recreational metalworking.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Dan

**** off and die asshole.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/25/2013 7:44 PM, jon_banquer wrote:
On Jan 25, 6:57 pm, " wrote:
On Jan 25, 9:43 pm, jon_banquer wrote:

I try very hard not to surround myself with brain dead morons. You're
a brain dead moron and I don't give a **** how much money you spent to
go to a "respectable college".

Suggest if you want a real friend then get a dog.

Only a brain dead moron would complain abut the lack of posts on metal
working and then proceed to complain about posts about metal working.
And I don't care about how much money you spent to go to a trade
school.

Haven't seen any pictures of your shop or posts from you about
recreational metalworking.

Dan

**** off and die asshole.

Little jonny banqueer is pwned again.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Tom Gardner" mars@tacks wrote in message

Actually, I have the PERFECT solution! It' just not patented yet
and in prototype.

Wire brushes on a Roto-Tiller?

A Phaser set on Annoy?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/24/2013 12:07 PM, Ignoramus25707 wrote:
I have a bunch of street plate steel, that I want to magically
transform into welding tables.

They have rust on them, it is not horribly deep, but it needs to be
removed.

What is the most efficient way to do it using, say, a 9 inch angle
grinder. What abrasive things are best for it?

I don't know about cost effectiveness. I tend to use a wire wheel on a
grinder. On flat surfaces, the cup wheel style works best for me. I
asked a Sait salesman once about it and he suggested a flap wheel
sanding disk on the grinder - it works, but sure seems like a lot more
time and effort. There are some of those 3m type fiber disks that I
have not tried.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 25, 10:44*pm, jon_banquer wrote:

**** off and die asshole.

If you had a better education, you would be able to respond without
using profanity.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 26, 6:40*am, " wrote:
On Jan 25, 10:44*pm, jon_banquer wrote:

**** off and die asshole.

If you had a better education, you would be able to respond without
using profanity.

Dan

Maybe a video will help you to understand what a ****ing loser you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHt0XOyZUYg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 26, 10:43*am, jon_banquer wrote:

Maybe a video will help you to understand what a ****ing loser you

More profanity from the poorly educated. When I was in the Navy there
were some sailors who did not seem to be able to express themselves
without profanity.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 26, 2:36*pm, " wrote:
On Jan 26, 10:43*am, jon_banquer wrote:

Maybe a video will help you to understand what a ****ing loser you

More profanity from the poorly educated. *When I was in the Navy

there
were some sailors who did not seem to be able to express themselves
without profanity.

Are republican members of the legislatures even able?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 26, 11:36*am, " wrote:
On Jan 26, 10:43*am, jon_banquer wrote:

Maybe a video will help you to understand what a ****ing loser you

More profanity from the poorly educated. *When I was in the Navy there
were some sailors who did not seem to be able to express themselves
without profanity.

Dan

You're really very ****ing sloooooooooooooow. Watch it again, you
brain dead moron:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHt0XOyZUYg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:07:05 AM UTC-8, Ignoramus25707 wrote:
I have a bunch of street plate steel, that I want to magically

transform into welding tables.

They have rust on them, it is not horribly deep, but it needs to be

removed.

What is the most efficient way to do it using, say, a 9 inch angle

grinder. What abrasive things are best for it?

If you have a lots of sheets to do, and have the space and can deal with the mess, sand blast them.

rent or build the equipment yourself.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 27, 2:11*am, jon_banquer wrote:

You're really very ****ing sloooooooooooooow. Watch it again, you
brain dead moron:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHt0XOyZUYg

I do not watch youtube videos. They are generally a waste of time.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 27, 5:02*am, " wrote:
On Jan 27, 2:11*am, jon_banquer wrote:

You're really very ****ing sloooooooooooooow. Watch it again, you
brain dead moron:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHt0XOyZUYg

I do not watch youtube videos. *They are generally a waste of time.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Dan

You're waste to time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I kind of like the chemical idea, also, because it takes comparably
little work. I will try.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Now that you say it, I have a Tennant style brush with metal
bristles. I will look into how I could use it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 27, 5:02*am, " wrote:
On Jan 27, 2:11*am, jon_banquer wrote:

You're really very ****ing sloooooooooooooow. Watch it again, you
brain dead moron:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHt0XOyZUYg

I do not watch youtube videos. *They are generally a waste of time.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Dan

You're a waste of time. There are lots of good metalworking videos on
You Tube you loser.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 12:07:05 -0600, Ignoramus25707
wrote:

I have a bunch of street plate steel, that I want to magically
transform into welding tables.

They have rust on them, it is not horribly deep, but it needs to be
removed.

What is the most efficient way to do it using, say, a 9 inch angle
grinder. What abrasive things are best for it?

Buy some steel cup brushes from Ohio Brush. They are very very good,
will give you excellent service and will last a long time.

http://www.ohiobrush.com/Pages/powertool.html

Or have a sand blaster do the work for you at considerably more money.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I have a bunch of street plate steel, that I want to magically
transform into welding tables.

They have rust on them, it is not horribly deep, but it needs to be
removed.

What is the most efficient way to do it using, say, a 9 inch angle
grinder. What abrasive things are best for it?

Buy some steel cup brushes from Ohio Brush. They are very very good,
will give you excellent service and will last a long time.

http://www.ohiobrush.com/Pages/powertool.html

Or have a sand blaster do the work for you at considerably more money.

Gunner

1. Lie

The wire wheel approach would be my last choice for removing rust from
large steel plates. No doubt iggy will go this way and then brag how
well it worked.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/25/2013 6:21 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Tom Gardner" mars@tacks wrote in message

Actually, I have the PERFECT solution! It' just not patented yet
and in prototype.

Wire brushes on a Roto-Tiller?

It's already been done! And, can you guess who did it?
Oh yea...that would be me. Mostly used to clean/prep metal roofs for
coating.
http://www.wisesales.com/shindaiwa-c...l#.UQWHjb-0Bck

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Tom Gardner" mars@tacks wrote in message

Actually, I have the PERFECT solution! It' just not patented yet
and in prototype.

Wire brushes on a Roto-Tiller?

A Phaser set on Annoy?

Of anybody, YOU could probably build one! Can I have a prototype!
Could you add an "IRRITATE" setting for me?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 27, 1:56*pm, jon_banquer wrote:

The wire wheel approach would be my last choice for removing rust from
large steel plates. No doubt iggy will go this way and then brag how
well it worked.

Why are you always so negative?

So what would be you first choice?

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 27, 1:32*pm, " wrote:
On Jan 27, 1:56*pm, jon_banquer wrote:

The wire wheel approach would be my last choice for removing rust from
large steel plates. No doubt iggy will go this way and then brag how
well it worked.

Why are you always so negative?

So what would be you first choice?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Dan

I've got every reason to be negative in this group. This newsgroup is
no longer about metalworking. It's now a group filled with phony
conservatives like Wieber that have no interest in improving their
metalworking skill set.

It's hard to give a first choice because iggy is a worthless piece of
**** who as per usual he have left out very important details such as:

How many plates need to be done per month? Are all the plates the same
size? If not, what is the largest size plate that will need to be
prepped. Does he have the space for dip tanks? Does he have a place
outside or a room to safely sand blast in? Does he have other
applications that would justify sand blasting. How big is his
compressor? Does he have a fresh air respirator?

http://www.nortonsandblasting.com/nsbNova3hoodSale.html

Does he have a shop laborer who has time to run a sand blaster? Has he
called a 3M rep and asked them to stop by and make suggestions on
which product they recommend?

It's not about learning for iggy. It's about the cheapest price and
bragging. iggy is a worthless **** who's not capable of doing much
learning when it comes to metalworking because his ego gets in the
way. He's only interested in the lowest price on everything and can
never see the big picture.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 05:02:28 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 27, 2:11*am, jon_banquer wrote:

You're really very ****ing sloooooooooooooow. Watch it again, you
brain dead moron:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHt0XOyZUYg

I do not watch youtube videos. They are generally a waste of time.

Dan

Your opinion is noted.

If found them to be fun, boring, interesting, sad, funny, informative
and occasionally not worth watching. But on the whole..rather good.

I have a Mod 14 Remington pump action rifle that Id never taken down.
A Pederson device..cringe.

Watched a video of it and learned the fast and easy way to break it
down.

Works well on an arm that is NOT intuitively easy to break down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1anUf-GUA3E

Anyone got any 30 Rem brass kicking around they want to trade?

Gunner

1. Lie