Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default How to cost efficiently clean rust from steel plate

"jon_banquer" wrote in message
On Jan 25, 4:18 am, "Existential Angst" wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in message

On 2013-01-24, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus25707" wrote in
message
news I have a bunch of street plate steel, that I want to magically
transform into welding tables.

They have rust on them, it is not horribly deep, but it needs to be
removed.

What is the most efficient way to do it using, say, a 9 inch angle
grinder. What abrasive things are best for it?

I am interested in the answers that will come. For me, I would
investigate
the possibilities of some sort of acid wash, followed with power
wash.
Don't know if it would be a good thing to maybe hook up a floor
polisher
with an abrasive pad, but I am thinking on staying away from the big
grinder
idea, and going for a method that would be very easy. After that, I
would
maybe consider soaking it with cooking oil and heating it with
firewood,
just up to 350 F. to put a sealer on it. Maybe others will suggest a
better
easier way.

After my last tangle with a grinder, I am not so fast to draw it out
as
my
first choice, and that 9" can be a mofo if you mess up just a little.

MHO, will follow the thread and see what is suggested, at times I
need
derust large areas, sometimes full lengths of 20 feet. I would only
build a
bath for those if I was to get into a lot of it, but if I was moving
that
much tubing, I'd keep just new oiled stock in the racks.

Steve

I am a little leery of putting those plates in a fire, one is that the
village may not like it, and two, the plates may get warped.

Can you take them somewhere to be abrasive blasted inexpensively? I
agree with the caution on the angle grinder, the last time I used a 9" I
could barely move my arms for a few days after.

The way ig beats his effing meat on this ng, I'm sure he would have no
problem with a 15" angle grinder.
WhoTF would buy a 30" high welding table, anyway, besides a midget or a
yogi
with a strong back????

But steve's floor sander/screens is a good idea. A belt sander would also
do.
--
EA

A belt sander is often used for imparting "grain" to metal. Gives a
nice finish. I use to program and machine a ton of face plates for
Krell who makes very expensive audio amplifiers and this is how they
were finished. Luckily we subbed out that job or I would have been
stuck doing that as well.

That is inneresting -- almost always in alum, it seems.
I remember quite well the grained faceplates to stereo equipment, a very
common (and nice) motif, and then anodized. I always wondered about that
effect.

That's something I may be able to improvise, as well.
I was thinking of building a kind of "square timesaver" sanding unit, with 4
belt sanders mounted on each face of square/rect tubing, and just shooting
the tubing thru. Heh, mebbe next week.... LOL

Alum is such a pita, tho, really gums stuff up.
--
EA