Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to clean 'rust?' from stainless steel radiator?

Hi,

In the bathroom we have a stainless steel radiator which seems to
accumulate rust spots over time.
What is the best liquid or material to clean this with?

Some examples of the markings he
http://www.techpost.co.uk/radiator/

Thanks for any pointers

zeebop
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
zeebop writes:
Hi,

In the bathroom we have a stainless steel radiator which seems to
accumulate rust spots over time.
What is the best liquid or material to clean this with?

Some examples of the markings he
http://www.techpost.co.uk/radiator/

Thanks for any pointers

Looks more like chrome plate steel, in which
case the rust is due to the chrome plate failing.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-08-02 13:31:52 +0100, zeebop said:

Hi,

In the bathroom we have a stainless steel radiator which seems to
accumulate rust spots over time.
What is the best liquid or material to clean this with?

Some examples of the markings he
http://www.techpost.co.uk/radiator/

Thanks for any pointers

zeebop

Umm...

I don't think that it's stainless steel.

Do the spots appear in the same places and is there pitting?

The radiator appears to be a plated one and so your options are limited
to painting it, getting it replated or replacing it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

zeebop wrote:
Hi,

In the bathroom we have a stainless steel radiator which seems to
accumulate rust spots over time.
What is the best liquid or material to clean this with?

Some examples of the markings he
http://www.techpost.co.uk/radiator/

Thanks for any pointers

zeebop

move it away from the toilet as urine is great for rusting most metals

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 14:11:18 +0100, Andy Hall

On 2008-08-02 13:31:52 +0100, zeebop said:

Hi,

In the bathroom we have a stainless steel radiator which seems to
accumulate rust spots over time.
What is the best liquid or material to clean this with?

Some examples of the markings he
http://www.techpost.co.uk/radiator/

Thanks for any pointers

zeebop

Umm...

I don't think that it's stainless steel.

Do the spots appear in the same places and is there pitting?

The radiator appears to be a plated one and so your options are limited
to painting it, getting it replated or replacing it.

Thanks very much for the fast responses and advice.
I'm sure it must be the chrome plated type as advised.

I've just tried rubbing a wet cloth across it, and it comes up very
well, so my description of rust spots was misleading. I'm going to see
how well it comes up by cleaning normally.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-08-02 13:31:52 +0100, zeebop said:

Hi,

In the bathroom we have a stainless steel radiator which seems to
accumulate rust spots over time.
What is the best liquid or material to clean this with?

Some examples of the markings he
http://www.techpost.co.uk/radiator/

Thanks for any pointers

zeebop

Umm...

I don't think that it's stainless steel.

Do the spots appear in the same places and is there pitting?

The radiator appears to be a plated one and so your options are limited
to painting it, getting it replated or replacing it.

Thanks very much for the fast responses and advice.
I'm sure it must be the chrome plated type as advised.

I've just tried rubbing a wet cloth across it, and it comes up very
well, so my description of rust spots was misleading. I'm going to see
how well it comes up by cleaning normally.

I suppose that another thing that you could try is to use some kind of
rust inhibitor liquid - clear one - carefully dabbed into the pits and
wiped carefully. This may at least hold the rust back from
developing to some degree but won't hide the marks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-08-02 13:31:52 +0100, zeebop said:

Hi,

In the bathroom we have a stainless steel radiator which seems to
accumulate rust spots over time.
What is the best liquid or material to clean this with?

Some examples of the markings he
http://www.techpost.co.uk/radiator/

Thanks for any pointers

zeebop

Umm...

I don't think that it's stainless steel.

Do the spots appear in the same places and is there pitting?

The radiator appears to be a plated one and so your options are limited
to painting it, getting it replated or replacing it.

Thanks very much for the fast responses and advice.
I'm sure it must be the chrome plated type as advised.

I've just tried rubbing a wet cloth across it, and it comes up very
well, so my description of rust spots was misleading. I'm going to see
how well it comes up by cleaning normally.

you can clean rust off chrome pretty well as the rust spreads from teeny
holes that don't show..until the pitting under the plating causes
massive chunks to fall off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-08-02 13:31:52 +0100, zeebop said:

Hi,

[...]

Could try Autosol for cleaning car chrome ???