Walter R.

Default How to clean stainless steel?

I wish I had never bought this refrigerator with a stainless steel front
panel.

No matter what I do, I end up with some streaking. Not too bad, but
annoying.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

What have you tried so far? Some SS sink manufacturers recommend
periodic oiling to keep things looking nice.

Are there stains?

Longshot

glass cleaner works pretty well, if you have major stains , use MEK or even
fine steel wool
wrote in message
oups.com...
What have you tried so far? Some SS sink manufacturers recommend
periodic oiling to keep things looking nice.

Are there stains?

SQLit

"Walter R." wrote in message
I wish I had never bought this refrigerator with a stainless steel front
panel.

No matter what I do, I end up with some streaking. Not too bad, but
annoying.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

I agree, I installed a island SS vent hood. Could not keep the f'ing thing
clean.

There are spray products at the Box stores that help. I bought the one I
used at Lowes. Goes on like foaming window cleaner. Leaves a nice finish for
awhile. Some people love SS I prefer things that I can wipe willy-nilly once
a week and have them look good in-between.

A little dab will do a large area.

Walter R.

I have tried Windex but it leaves faint streaks. Dishwashing detergents are
the same. I have tried furniture polish. That works pretty well but I feel
silly applying wood polish to stainless steel.

There a no spots, just mildly annoying streaks. Amana says to use SS cleaner
only if there are spots.

I guess I will have to treat my refrigerator with beeswax furniture polish.
Seems to work best.

Thanks

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Walter R." wrote in message
I wish I had never bought this refrigerator with a stainless steel front
panel.

No matter what I do, I end up with some streaking. Not too bad, but
annoying.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

Peter

"SQLit" wrote in message ...

"Walter R." wrote in message
I wish I had never bought this refrigerator with a stainless steel front
panel.

No matter what I do, I end up with some streaking. Not too bad, but
annoying.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

I agree, I installed a island SS vent hood. Could not keep the f'ing thing
clean.

There are spray products at the Box stores that help. I bought the one I
used at Lowes. Goes on like foaming window cleaner. Leaves a nice finish for
awhile. Some people love SS I prefer things that I can wipe willy-nilly once
a week and have them look good in-between.

I couldn't agree more. SS is a royal pain in the ass, almost as bad
as grouted tile countertops.

Who started this SS craze anyway? Was something wrong with
enameled steel, which you can wipe down once every six months
and have it always looking brand new?

You must have kids, or something. I have no problem keeping mine clean.

Sandy K.

"Walter R." wrote in message
I wish I had never bought this refrigerator with a stainless steel front
panel.

No matter what I do, I end up with some streaking. Not too bad, but
annoying.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

I have quite a bit of stainless steel on my boat. We use a product called
Flitz. It's a bit pricey, but it works great.

Sandy K.

rider89

I remember when i was a little kid, my mother got stainless steel
appliances.
I also remember her constant battle with trying to get them to look clean.
I also remember her getting rid of them after a few years.

I think stainless became popular again in an attempt to look like
"professional" kitchens.
The problem, though, is that in real working kitchens the appearance of the
appliances is
not a priority.
Bill

"Walter R." wrote in message
I wish I had never bought this refrigerator with a stainless steel front
panel.

No matter what I do, I end up with some streaking. Not too bad, but
annoying.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

Banty

In article , rider89 says...

I remember when i was a little kid, my mother got stainless steel
appliances.
I also remember her constant battle with trying to get them to look clean.
I also remember her getting rid of them after a few years.

I think stainless became popular again in an attempt to look like
"professional" kitchens.
The problem, though, is that in real working kitchens the appearance of the
appliances is
not a priority.
Bill

Exactly why I'm going with black in my new kitchen.

Banty

Banty

In article et, Peter says...

"SQLit" wrote in message

"Walter R." wrote in message
I wish I had never bought this refrigerator with a stainless steel front
panel.

No matter what I do, I end up with some streaking. Not too bad, but
annoying.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

I agree, I installed a island SS vent hood. Could not keep the f'ing thing
clean.

There are spray products at the Box stores that help. I bought the one I
used at Lowes. Goes on like foaming window cleaner. Leaves a nice finish for
awhile. Some people love SS I prefer things that I can wipe willy-nilly once
a week and have them look good in-between.

I couldn't agree more. SS is a royal pain in the ass, almost as bad
as grouted tile countertops.

Who started this SS craze anyway?

Maybe it was whoever started the wooden floors in the kitchen craze? If it was,
I bet he also started this Biiig Hooood over the range stupidity, too.

Was something wrong with
enameled steel, which you can wipe down once every six months
and have it always looking brand new?

"It's been done."

Cheers,
Banty

Goedjn

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 19:30:21 GMT, "Walter R."
wrote:

I have tried Windex but it leaves faint streaks. Dishwashing detergents are
the same. I have tried furniture polish. That works pretty well but I feel
silly applying wood polish to stainless steel.

There a no spots, just mildly annoying streaks. Amana says to use SS cleaner
only if there are spots.

I guess I will have to treat my refrigerator with beeswax furniture polish.
Seems to work best.

Some types of finishes in SS show streaks etc. more than others,
and some types of owners have less realistic expectations of what
it's supposed to look like than others.

I think that if you took a random orbit sander and some 1000 grit
paper to the things, the problem would go away.

Of course, you wouldn't be able to use your furniture as part of
your space telescope anymore, or even shave in it.
AustinScoobee

We had all the problems mentioned above for YEARS!!
That is .until I tried, "Stainless Steel Wipes" .. these come in a
plastic tub like baby wipes.. No other product or imitation has worked
like these... Very pleased. If your stuff is really bad clean it first
then wipe down with these wipes.. If they are clean already, just wipe
them down. These really do a streak free, astounding job. They leave a
deep streak free sheen for weeks!
Again, "Stainless Steel Wipes" in the plastic tub... nothing else we
tried works..

My 2Cnts, and it saved our Sub-Zero from being Subterranian...
G-man

Peter

wrote in message ...
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 19:17:37 -0400, Goedjn wrote:

Some types of finishes in SS show streaks etc. more than others,
and some types of owners have less realistic expectations of what
it's supposed to look like than others.

I think that if you took a random orbit sander and some 1000 grit
paper to the things, the problem would go away.

Of course, you wouldn't be able to use your furniture as part of
your space telescope anymore, or even shave in it.

I have a stainless kitchen and I wouldn't have it any other way. The
mistake is thinking an SS kitchen is supposed to be POLISHED
stainless. It is brush finish., even if it didn't start that way. Then
a little steel wool will bring the finish right back. Most times a
scotch bright is all you need.

That's some mighty stupid advice. If it works for you, great.
But there's a wide range of SS finishes, and a wide range of
scotch bright pads -- the heavier duty of which will scratch
the hell out of SS.

Always follow your manufacturer's instructions.

sherglue

I think Sears has some kind of a product for cleaning stainless steel -
especially for appliances. Some of the new appliances even come with a
little bottle of this liquid that you can apply that keeps the hand
marks form appearing. Best thing is to call Sears appliances and ask
them if they sell anything like this. I'm sure it's pretty popular...

carbuff

What brand-name did you use? Doing a Google, I found several, such as
Weiman, Frigidaire, and some apparently commercial ones. I've never come
across them at the supermarkets I shop at (then again, I wasn't looking for
them either, lol).

"AustinScoobee" wrote in message
oups.com...
We had all the problems mentioned above for YEARS!!
That is .until I tried, "Stainless Steel Wipes" .. these come in a
plastic tub like baby wipes.. No other product or imitation has worked
like these... Very pleased. If your stuff is really bad clean it first
then wipe down with these wipes.. If they are clean already, just wipe
them down. These really do a streak free, astounding job. They leave a
deep streak free sheen for weeks!
Again, "Stainless Steel Wipes" in the plastic tub... nothing else we
tried works..

My 2Cnts, and it saved our Sub-Zero from being Subterranian...
G-man

AustinScoobee

Those wipes I use couldnt scratch anything, they are just wet towels,
and at a few dollars a tub, ,again I recommend them..

"Stainless Steel Magic Wipes"
http://www.magicamerican.com/products_a.shtml

Only those have worked for us.. no other product , including the other
stuff they sell, just the wipes...

Stormin Mormon

Why do they call something so easily streaked "stainLESS", they could call
it "stainMORE" and be more accurate.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"AustinScoobee" wrote in message
oups.com...
We had all the problems mentioned above for YEARS!!
That is .until I tried, "Stainless Steel Wipes" .. these come in a
plastic tub like baby wipes.. No other product or imitation has worked
like these... Very pleased. If your stuff is really bad clean it first
then wipe down with these wipes.. If they are clean already, just wipe
them down. These really do a streak free, astounding job. They leave a
deep streak free sheen for weeks!
Again, "Stainless Steel Wipes" in the plastic tub... nothing else we
tried works..

My 2Cnts, and it saved our Sub-Zero from being Subterranian...
G-man

Phisherman

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:54:30 GMT, "Walter R."
wrote:

I wish I had never bought this refrigerator with a stainless steel front
panel.

No matter what I do, I end up with some streaking. Not too bad, but
annoying.

You can use soda water in a spray bottle, then wipe with a lint-free
cloth.

willshak

On 9/30/2005 1:54 PM US(ET), Walter R. took fingers to keyboard, and
typed the following:

I wish I had never bought this refrigerator with a stainless steel front
panel.

No matter what I do, I end up with some streaking. Not too bad, but
annoying.

I use a product called Peek, by Tri-Peek, a Canadian Company, with
worldwide distribution. I bought it in NY. Works well and leaves no streaks.
http://www.peekpolish.com/

--
Bill

Bob G.

wrote:

I wish I had never bought this refrigerator with a stainless steel front
panel.

No matter what I do, I end up with some streaking. Not too bad, but
annoying.

I have absolutely no problem with mine... Honestly I use
Finish Fast (an automotive detailer) I spray in on a rag and wipe the
doos down...no streaks ...

I bet Mquires detailer (available at most auto stores) would work just
as good....

Bob G..