Bart D. Hull

Default Pizza stone vs chunk of stainless or mild steel.

Thinking about using a piece of stainless or mild steel in a
electric oven to cook homemade pizzas. I know the local Pizza
shops ovens have a steel or iron floor in them that they slide
the pizza on so that's what I'm trying to achieve.

Wouldn't the steel transfer the heat better than a stone? I'm
thinking stainless for cleanup but I have heard bad things about
heat transfer which is just what I'm looking for.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Bart D. Hull" wrote in message
Thinking about using a piece of stainless or mild steel in a
electric oven to cook homemade pizzas. I know the local Pizza
shops ovens have a steel or iron floor in them that they slide
the pizza on so that's what I'm trying to achieve.

Wouldn't the steel transfer the heat better than a stone? I'm
thinking stainless for cleanup but I have heard bad things about
heat transfer which is just what I'm looking for.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I can't imagine cooking a pizza would be of concern if you used stainless.
It's reputed to be poor in heat transfer, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't
achieve ambient temperature and impart a good portion of it to your pizza.
Go for it! I can't imagine any kind negative response. Not unless you
have to certify your pizza, anyway! g

Harold

Karl Vorwerk

Use what I seem to remember as called quarry tile. They're red unglazed
tiles $1 or so each for 12"x12" get 4. at Home Depot or Loews. The tile
cooks the bottom of the pizza properly.
Alton Brown explains how to use them he
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._13823,00.html
He suggested using them on this episode.
Karl

"Bart D. Hull" wrote in message
Thinking about using a piece of stainless or mild steel in a
electric oven to cook homemade pizzas. I know the local Pizza
shops ovens have a steel or iron floor in them that they slide
the pizza on so that's what I'm trying to achieve.

Wouldn't the steel transfer the heat better than a stone? I'm
thinking stainless for cleanup but I have heard bad things about
heat transfer which is just what I'm looking for.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

I big thick piece of iron is likely to burn the bottom before the top
is finished.

On top of my gas range is a block of steel about 80lbs which is
wonderful for keeping food warm.
I keep a flame under it on the lowest setting 24/7 during heating
season.

Ted Edwards

Siggy wrote:
One thing about a pizza stone vs a piece of SS is that the stone will absorb
any grease drippings so your crusts will be a bit crispier.

Agreed! My wife preheats the pizza stone in the oven then slides the
pizza onto it. We really like the thin crispy crust.

Ted
Eregon

"Siggy" wrote in
m:

One thing about a pizza stone vs a piece of SS is that the stone will
absorb any grease drippings so your crusts will be a bit crispier.

The primary reason for using unglazed ceramic in baking ovens is for heat
regulation beyond the capability of the thermostats normally installed.

The ceramic retains enough heat to even-out the fluctuations. This, in
addition to the elimination of "hot spots", provides far better control of
the finished product.

The ceramic tile is light weight, easy to clean, and inexpen$ive.