Don Foreman

Default Welding stainless to mild steel -- Ernie?

A friend asked me if mild steel could be welded to stainless in
production. That's all I know thus far: I don't know anything yet
about thicknesses, joint design, or expected volume.

I know enough about TIG and brazing to evaluate how they might fit as
I learn more about the application.

My generic questions a

Can stainless be welded to mild steel with MIG using stainless wire
and argon -- or whatever?

Can stainless be spotwelded to mild steel if the thicknessses are
appropriate?
Karl Townsend

A friend asked me if mild steel could be welded to stainless in
production. That's all I know thus far: I don't know anything yet
about thicknesses, joint design, or expected volume.

While you're waiting for the answer from the expert Ernie, I'll mention
that I've done this exact thing many times. Only because I bought litterally
a truck load of stainless for a song and its cheaper to use than buying new
mild sheet steel. Of course, you lose the stainless properties, other than
that, I've used both mig and tig for welding. Haven't had the ocassion but I
bet stick would work also. For welding, it acts just like a similar
thickness of mild steel. Torch won't work on stainless though.

Karl

Don Foreman

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 13:42:40 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

A friend asked me if mild steel could be welded to stainless in
production. That's all I know thus far: I don't know anything yet
about thicknesses, joint design, or expected volume.

While you're waiting for the answer from the expert Ernie, I'll mention
that I've done this exact thing many times. Only because I bought litterally
a truck load of stainless for a song and its cheaper to use than buying new
mild sheet steel. Of course, you lose the stainless properties, other than
that, I've used both mig and tig for welding. Haven't had the ocassion but I
bet stick would work also. For welding, it acts just like a similar
thickness of mild steel. Torch won't work on stainless though.

With MIG, do you use stainless wire or just mild steel?
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

wrote:

A friend asked me if mild steel could be welded to stainless in
production. That's all I know thus far: I don't know anything yet
about thicknesses, joint design, or expected volume.

While you're waiting for the answer from the expert Ernie, I'll mention
that I've done this exact thing many times. Only because I bought

litterally
a truck load of stainless for a song and its cheaper to use than buying

new
mild sheet steel. Of course, you lose the stainless properties, other

than
that, I've used both mig and tig for welding. Haven't had the ocassion

but I
bet stick would work also. For welding, it acts just like a similar
thickness of mild steel. Torch won't work on stainless though.

With MIG, do you use stainless wire or just mild steel?

I'll jump in, too. I use mild steel wire with CO2, and it welds all the 300
and 400 series stainless I can lay my hands on. You do (as said before
here) lose the stainless quality not only at the weld, but in a region
around it. But that's not so tough, if you've got a piece of merchant stock
welded to it. (that's usually what the "MS" after an alloy means, not "mild
steel")

LLoyd

LLoyd

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
k.net...

snip------------

I'll jump in, too. I use mild steel wire with CO2, and it welds all the

300
and 400 series stainless I can lay my hands on. You do (as said before
here) lose the stainless quality not only at the weld, but in a region
around it. But that's not so tough, if you've got a piece of merchant

stock
welded to it. (that's usually what the "MS" after an alloy means, not

"mild
steel")

LLoyd

Wow!! 400 series, too? Any problems with cracking? The 400 series is
heat treatable. Can't help but wonder what's happening when you weld on it.

Harold

Karl Townsend

With MIG, do you use stainless wire or just mild steel?

No point in wasting valuable wire here. Just use the plain jane mild steel.

Karl

Old Nick

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 13:42:40 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Interesting, Karl. Do you pre-heat or anything? I see you use normal
steel wire. Interesting.

My only comment is watch out for fumes. Chromium in there. I welded
some Q&T alloy, and think I had a bit of fume throat from that.

A friend asked me if mild steel could be welded to stainless in
production. That's all I know thus far: I don't know anything yet
about thicknesses, joint design, or expected volume.

While you're waiting for the answer from the expert Ernie, I'll mention
that I've done this exact thing many times. Only because I bought litterally
a truck load of stainless for a song and its cheaper to use than buying new
mild sheet steel. Of course, you lose the stainless properties, other than
that, I've used both mig and tig for welding. Haven't had the ocassion but I
bet stick would work also. For welding, it acts just like a similar
thickness of mild steel. Torch won't work on stainless though.

Karl

Hi Don
Yes you can weld Steel to SS in Production.
The filler rod has to be made for joining dissimilar metals.
You have choices from the simple 309L, and 312 up to the aerospace
alloys Hastelloy W, and Inconel 82.

309L is commonly used for this and is available in TIG rod, stick
electrode, dual shield wire and MIG wire.

For MIG you would want to use at least a C25 shielding gas (75% Argon,
25% CO2).

Ernie Leimkuhler
A helium or oxygen tri-mix is better, but the C25 will work.
309L works fine.

On the spotwelding thing, it can work, but be careful.
The SS melts at a lower temp than the steel.

As long as the exposed parts aren't dipped in a salt bath they should
hold fine.

Ernie Leimkuhler

Don Foreman

Thanks, Ernie! Much appreciated.
geoff m

wrote:

For welding, it acts just like a similar
thickness of mild steel. Torch won't work on stainless though.

You can torch weld SS - it welds nicely, although TIG gives a better
finish
Geoff