Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to cost efficiently clean rust from steel plate

On Jan 27, 9:57*am, Gunner wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 12:07:05 -0600, Ignoramus25707

wrote:
I have a bunch of street plate steel, that I want to magically
transform into welding tables.

They have rust on them, it is not horribly deep, but it needs to be
removed.

What is the most efficient way to do it using, say, a 9 inch angle
grinder. What abrasive things are best for it?

Buy some steel cup brushes from Ohio Brush. They are very very good,
will give you excellent service and will last a long time.

http://www.ohiobrush.com/Pages/powertool.html

Or have a sand blaster do the work for you at considerably more money.

Gunner

1. Lie

The wire wheel approach would be my last choice for removing rust from
large steel plates. No doubt iggy will go this way and then brag how
well it worked.