Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to cost efficiently clean rust from steel plate

On Jan 24, 1:07*pm, Ignoramus25707 ignoramus25...@NOSPAM.
25707.invalid wrote:
I have a bunch of street plate steel, that I want to magically
transform into welding tables.

They have rust on them, it is not horribly deep, but it needs to be
removed.

What is the most efficient way to do it using, say, a 9 inch angle
grinder. What abrasive things are best for it?

It depends on what the rust is like. But for rust as you describe, i
wire brush and then use citric or phosphoric acid. For wire
brushing, I use what I have. A regular 1/2 hp motor mounted in a yoke
on a thing with three casters and a flexible shaft. A large angle
grinder and a cup brush might be better.

Dan