Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Browser

I keep getting nagged that my browser is going to be outdated soon, and I
should update. So, I clicked Google Chrome. It took a long time to
download, but did not install. Now, I think I might have made a mistake,
not being too fond of Google, and some of their antics.

Is it too late to uninstall Google Chrome, and say, install Firefox?

Or something else?

Not familiar with this, just want to turn computer on, and go. Don't need
nor want to understand it deeply.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 19, 9:38*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I keep getting nagged that my browser is going to be outdated soon, and I
should update. *So, I clicked Google Chrome. *It took a long time to
download, but did not install. *Now, I think I might have made a mistake,
not being too fond of Google, and some of their antics.

Is it too late to uninstall Google Chrome, and say, install Firefox?

Or something else?

Not familiar with this, just want to turn computer on, and go. *Don't need
nor want to understand it deeply.

Steve

You can have both installed.

I use Firefox and Chrome. Think they both suck because Flash is so
unstable and crashes constantly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 20/11/2012 1:35 PM, Steve B wrote:
I keep getting nagged that my browser is going to be outdated soon, and I
should update. So, I clicked Google Chrome. It took a long time to
download, but did not install. Now, I think I might have made a mistake,
not being too fond of Google, and some of their antics.

Is it too late to uninstall Google Chrome, and say, install Firefox?

Or something else?

Not familiar with this, just want to turn computer on, and go. Don't need
nor want to understand it deeply.

Steve

Steve, I've just installed chrome after procrastinating for a year.

It seems to work fine. Pretty straight forward to use. It seems a little
faster & locks up less than firefox. I'd almost say I liked it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
I keep getting nagged that my browser is going to be outdated soon, and I
should update. So, I clicked Google Chrome. It took a long time to
download, but did not install. Now, I think I might have made a mistake,
not being too fond of Google, and some of their antics.

Is it too late to uninstall Google Chrome, and say, install Firefox?

Or something else?

Not familiar with this, just want to turn computer on, and go. Don't need
nor want to understand it deeply.

Steve

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-11-20, Steve B wrote:
I keep getting nagged that my browser is going to be outdated soon, and I
should update. So, I clicked Google Chrome. It took a long time to
download, but did not install. Now, I think I might have made a mistake,
not being too fond of Google, and some of their antics.

Is it too late to uninstall Google Chrome, and say, install Firefox?

Or something else?

Not familiar with this, just want to turn computer on, and go. Don't need
nor want to understand it deeply.

You can uninstall it, it is never too late. I use Chrome 95% of the
time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 14:11:20 +0800, Spuckle wrote:

On 20/11/2012 1:35 PM, Steve B wrote:
I keep getting nagged that my browser is going to be outdated soon, and I
should update. So, I clicked Google Chrome. It took a long time to
download, but did not install. Now, I think I might have made a mistake,
not being too fond of Google, and some of their antics.

Is it too late to uninstall Google Chrome, and say, install Firefox?

Or something else?

Not familiar with this, just want to turn computer on, and go. Don't need
nor want to understand it deeply.

Steve

Steve, I've just installed chrome after procrastinating for a year.

It seems to work fine. Pretty straight forward to use. It seems a little
faster & locks up less than firefox. I'd almost say I liked it.

Ive been running firefoxes Aurora, which is a work in progress..the
new improved Firefox pre-release.

For the first month or so..it was buggy as hell..but had good self
reporting and I was getting updates at least once a day. It now runs
like a dream and Im slowly adding all sorts of plugins and add ons,
which occasionally will clash or crunch..and within a day..its been
fixed and that particular app now runs like a champ.

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
I keep getting nagged that my browser is going to be outdated soon, and I
should update. So, I clicked Google Chrome. It took a long time to
download, but did not install. Now, I think I might have made a mistake,
not being too fond of Google, and some of their antics.

Is it too late to uninstall Google Chrome, and say, install Firefox?

Or something else?

Not familiar with this, just want to turn computer on, and go. Don't need
nor want to understand it deeply.

Steve

Wait till you see the new IE included in Win8... Talk about a POS...

ANYONE who plans on needing a machine for work or for gaming with
anything other than XBox games may want to hit a store NOW and get
either new hardware with Win 7 OR a newer machine with XP on it.

Win 8 SUCKS. BIG TIME. I have been setting up a laptop for a friend
and so far I REALLY want to use this thing for target practice !!

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 05:18:32 -0600, Ignoramus28180

On 2012-11-20, Steve B wrote:
I keep getting nagged that my browser is going to be outdated soon, and I
should update. So, I clicked Google Chrome. It took a long time to
download, but did not install. Now, I think I might have made a mistake,
not being too fond of Google, and some of their antics.

Is it too late to uninstall Google Chrome, and say, install Firefox?

Or something else?

Not familiar with this, just want to turn computer on, and go. Don't need
nor want to understand it deeply.

You can uninstall it, it is never too late. I use Chrome 95% of the
time.

I didn't like the way Chrome kept doing things in the background on my
Win7 box after I'd told it not to. It felt like a gaping back door
directly into my data, a feeling I didn't much like. Chrome was gone
from my box within 4 hours of installation.

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I didn't like the way Chrome kept doing things in the background on my
Win7 box after I'd told it not to. It felt like a gaping back door
directly into my data, a feeling I didn't much like. Chrome was gone
from my box within 4 hours of installation.

I don't like that it didn't switch to a new tab when you opened it.
Firefox does.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I didn't like the way Chrome kept doing things in the background on my
Win7 box after I'd told it not to. It felt like a gaping back door
directly into my data, a feeling I didn't much like. Chrome was gone
from my box within 4 hours of installation.

Given some of the other stuff Google has been caught doing,
such as the business about their Google-Earth cars snooping in unlocked
Wi-Fi systems and then the company just archiving everything they had stolen
from the unwary, you have EVERY reason to be suspicious.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 15:28:29 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Steve B wrote:
[...]

Bootleg copies of XP are everywhere and they will do updates nicely.

After reading the complaints about Vista, 7 and 8, I think Ill simply
stick with XP Pro.

Works good, less filling

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/20/2012 6:23 PM, Gunner wrote:

Bootleg copies of XP are everywhere and they will do updates nicely.

After reading the complaints about Vista, 7 and 8, I think Ill simply
stick with XP Pro.

Works good, less filling

Gunner

I have a stack of dead laptops to the ceiling, all have a legit XP
license. I build a new system for somebody and peel off the sticker
from a dead laptop and everybody's happy. According to my records I
just built my 500th box last week. -sure is easier than soldering-up a
CP/M system!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

I didn't like the way Chrome kept doing things in the background on
my
Win7 box after I'd told it not to. It felt like a gaping back door
directly into my data, a feeling I didn't much like. Chrome was
gone
from my box within 4 hours of installation.

I've stayed with IE8 on XP despite having two Windows 7 machines
because I've learned how to examine and delete everything it saves in
\Cookies and \Temporary Internet Files. I disabled the \DOM Store.

CCleaner seems to do a good job of deleting all but the cookies you
want to keep.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 18:39:17 -0500, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 11/20/2012 6:23 PM, Gunner wrote:

Bootleg copies of XP are everywhere and they will do updates nicely.

After reading the complaints about Vista, 7 and 8, I think Ill simply
stick with XP Pro.

Works good, less filling

Gunner

I have a stack of dead laptops to the ceiling, all have a legit XP
license. I build a new system for somebody and peel off the sticker
from a dead laptop and everybody's happy. According to my records I
just built my 500th box last week. -sure is easier than soldering-up a
CP/M system!

Ship em to Mr Terrill an maybe he can do something with them for the
Veterans groups.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-11-20, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I didn't like the way Chrome kept doing things in the background on my
Win7 box after I'd told it not to. It felt like a gaping back door
directly into my data, a feeling I didn't much like. Chrome was gone
from my box within 4 hours of installation.

I see a *lot* of security warnings about Chrome in the CERT
advisories. Since it won't run on my Solaris systems anyway, I don't
worry about it. But it seems to currently have more frequent advisories
than IE does, if you can believe that. :-)

I don't like that it didn't switch to a new tab when you opened it.
Firefox does.

There *may* be an option to turn that behavior on.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Steve B wrote:
[...]

I think XP was the best Windows out there. The only reason I'm on a
Win7 box now is that I bought a new box with Vista on it (Run Away!
Run Away!) and the upgrade to Win7 Pro was free. I'll probably get my
old XP box running again, add some memory, and keep it until they stop
updates for vulnerabilities.

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as
I have received and am still receiving.
-- Albert Einstein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

I keep getting nagged that my browser is going to be outdated soon, and I
should update. So, I clicked Google Chrome. It took a long time to
download, but did not install. Now, I think I might have made a mistake,
not being too fond of Google, and some of their antics.

Is it too late to uninstall Google Chrome, and say, install Firefox?

Or something else?

Not familiar with this, just want to turn computer on, and go. Don't need
nor want to understand it deeply.

Steve

For the record, I've been running Chrome exclusively for at least a
couple of years; and before that off/on since it's original release.

It just rocks... for the last couple of years, don't recall any
crashing, hanging or any other loathsome behavior. Before that... it
hadn't matured yet.

I'm running Mac OSX 10.8.2, and the only plug in/extensions I run are
the (excellent) ad blocker, and Google Voice.

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-11-20, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I didn't like the way Chrome kept doing things in the background on my
Win7 box after I'd told it not to. It felt like a gaping back door
directly into my data, a feeling I didn't much like. Chrome was gone
from my box within 4 hours of installation.

I see a *lot* of security warnings about Chrome in the CERT
advisories. Since it won't run on my Solaris systems anyway, I don't
worry about it. But it seems to currently have more frequent advisories
than IE does, if you can believe that. :-)

I don't like that it didn't switch to a new tab when you opened it.
Firefox does.

There *may* be an option to turn that behavior on.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I looked & there's not, but there's a few addons to do it.

I use one called "newtab"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-11-20, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I didn't like the way Chrome kept doing things in the background on my
Win7 box after I'd told it not to. It felt like a gaping back door
directly into my data, a feeling I didn't much like. Chrome was gone
from my box within 4 hours of installation.

I see a *lot* of security warnings about Chrome in the CERT
advisories. Since it won't run on my Solaris systems anyway, I don't
worry about it. But it seems to currently have more frequent advisories
than IE does, if you can believe that. :-)

I don't like that it didn't switch to a new tab when you opened it.
Firefox does.

There *may* be an option to turn that behavior on.

Not that I could find. I currently have five other browsers, so I
didn't install it on this system
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-11-20, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I didn't like the way Chrome kept doing things in the background on my
Win7 box after I'd told it not to. It felt like a gaping back door
directly into my data, a feeling I didn't much like. Chrome was gone
from my box within 4 hours of installation.

I see a *lot* of security warnings about Chrome in the CERT
advisories. Since it won't run on my Solaris systems anyway, I don't
worry about it. But it seems to currently have more frequent advisories
than IE does, if you can believe that. :-)

I don't like that it didn't switch to a new tab when you opened it.
Firefox does.

There *may* be an option to turn that behavior on.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I looked & there's not, but there's a few addons to do it.

I use one called "newtab"

Noted for future reference.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-11-20, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I didn't like the way Chrome kept doing things in the background on my
Win7 box after I'd told it not to. It felt like a gaping back door
directly into my data, a feeling I didn't much like. Chrome was gone
from my box within 4 hours of installation.

I see a *lot* of security warnings about Chrome in the CERT
advisories. Since it won't run on my Solaris systems anyway, I don't
worry about it. But it seems to currently have more frequent advisories
than IE does, if you can believe that. :-)

I don't like that it didn't switch to a new tab when you opened it.
Firefox does.

There *may* be an option to turn that behavior on.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I looked & there's not, but there's a few addons to do it.

I use one called "newtab"

Noted for future reference.

Just in case someone wants it. This one:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/replace-new-tab-page/cnkhddihkmmiiclaipbaaelfojkmlkja

OT Browser security Oren[_2_] Home Repair 1 March 27th 10 11:47 PM
OT - which internet browser? Lobster UK diy 70 March 11th 10 08:45 PM
WebGoo 4.0.0 Web Browser - %70 Faster [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 March 24th 08 05:52 PM
OT Browser Richard Metalworking 79 December 12th 05 01:45 PM
Interesting new web browser Gunner Metalworking 17 April 30th 04 10:01 PM