Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default did i kill my 'puter

i had a CMOS checksum error on my CNC mill. So, I installed a new
motherboard battery. Now the CPU fan just comes on and it makes no
attempt to boot. Is the computer DOA? I checked connections and
wiggled stuff.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

i had a CMOS checksum error on my CNC mill. So, I installed a new
motherboard battery. Now the CPU fan just comes on and it makes no
attempt to boot. Is the computer DOA? I checked connections and
wiggled stuff.

Remove the new battery & short out the socket for a few seconds, then
reinstall the battery. You may have some corrupt data in the CMOS
scratchpad RAM.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 17:53:26 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

i had a CMOS checksum error on my CNC mill. So, I installed a new
motherboard battery. Now the CPU fan just comes on and it makes no
attempt to boot. Is the computer DOA? I checked connections and
wiggled stuff.

Remove the new battery & short out the socket for a few seconds, then
reinstall the battery. You may have some corrupt data in the CMOS
scratchpad RAM.

tryed that, No Joy
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

i had a CMOS checksum error on my CNC mill. So, I installed a new
motherboard battery. Now the CPU fan just comes on and it makes no
attempt to boot. Is the computer DOA? I checked connections and
wiggled stuff.

Remove the new battery & short out the socket for a few seconds, then
reinstall the battery. You may have some corrupt data in the CMOS
scratchpad RAM.

tryed that, No Joy

Try another power supply, if you have one. You may have a dying or
dead motherboard. Unplug all the drives, and cards except the video
card, if it isn't part of the motherboard. If you can't get the bios
screen to flash, look at the electrolytics on the motherboard, and the
ones near the processor in particular.

If they are bulging, they need replaced, or replace the motherboard.
They are a special low ESR 105° C type capacitor, and not always easy to
replace, because they are soldered to internal layers. If you can find
the exact same type motherboard, and move the processor to the
replacement board you shouldn't have to reinstall any software.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 16, 4:18*pm, Karl Townsend
wrote:
i had a CMOS checksum error on my CNC mill. So, I installed a new
motherboard battery. Now the CPU fan just comes on and it makes no
attempt to boot. Is the computer DOA? I checked connections and
wiggled stuff.

Karl

Maybe re-seating the memory will work.
I have had to replace memory sticks , too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

How did you determine that the unspecified cnc mill with the unspecified
controller running an unspecified OS with an unspecified user interface
made no *attempt* to boot?

If it's an IBM-PC compatible controller with a keyboard and display
and you don't get any beeps and you see nothing on the display and
entering the BIOS setup pre-boot keystrokes at the proper time don't do
anything, yep, you've probably borked it.

If it's the typical coin-cell non-rechargeable CMOS battery, there's
a diode in series and shorting the socket does nothing. You have to
WAIT, I'd give it an hour before you give up and replace the motherboard.
There may be a jumper to reset the cmos, but it may only open the circuit
and also require you to wait. Shouldn't take an hour, but what do you
have to lose by waiting longer.

Also, did you unplug the computer while you waited?
Many computers have a 5V supply that's hot when the power is off
and may prevent the CMOS from resetting. It's also possible that
there's enough power coming back thru an I/O port to keep the CMOS
alive.

I had a situation where there was enough juice coming back through
a GPIB port to keep the GPIB fully functional with the power
to the microcontroller removed. I unplugged it and it just kept
on running. Thought I'd been possessed...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

This is a P4 motherboard with an ISA slot for my Galil card. Rare and
expensive to replace. I happen to be in Ocala Tuesday. Are you
interested in looking at it?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

I just learned that a severly disabled freind of mine died last night
& I'm just not up to it tonight. I only slept a little over three hours
last night, and I'm not able to concentrate on anything right now. I
was just getting ready to post a message that I would be off the group
for a few days to a week, to see if I can help her family. My email is
good, so you can contact me off group. I should be in better shape by
Tuesday and more than happy to take a look at it. I may even have a
spare motherboard that would support the card. Email me and give me the
details, I probably won't be back on the group before Monday or Tuesday.

To everyone else, this is the second disabled freind who has died in
the last couple months. I wasn't able to do anything to help the first,
because they can't locate a next of kin. She had a sister, but wouldn't
talk about her or even tell where her sister lived. In this case, her
yuongest son is disabled and she was all he had.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

Anybody with more than one computer should get a power supply tester.
They are just not expensive at $23. Its the first thing I do on a
problem box and often the only thing I need to do.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

A good article on bad (bulging) electrolytic capacitors, causes, and
good photos can be had he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Looks like one major cause of many failed units started roughly around
the early 2000's, and traces back to a botched industrial espionage
episode. Details are in the the above article.

Erik

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have restored function to computers by unplugging them from
electricity and unplugging and re plugging every connector in the
computer. Doing the unplug/re plug routine gives all the connectors a
new fresh connection. Corroded memory board contacts will keep the
computer from booting.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Fri, 16 Nov 2012
20:29:11 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

Memory Eternal.

My prayers go up for you.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-11-16, Karl Townsend wrote:
i had a CMOS checksum error on my CNC mill. So, I installed a new
motherboard battery. Now the CPU fan just comes on and it makes no
attempt to boot. Is the computer DOA? I checked connections and
wiggled stuff.

You may need to reset the CMOS. Pull the new battery, and short
the pins of the holder for a few seconds, then re-install the battery.
You will probably have to reset all the options after this, of course.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I had a similar problem. Can you get to the boot menu? I found that the order of devices used to load the operating system had changed and it was trying to load from the floppy drive instead of the hard drive.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 17 Nov 2012 05:22:24 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2012-11-16, Karl Townsend wrote:
i had a CMOS checksum error on my CNC mill. So, I installed a new
motherboard battery. Now the CPU fan just comes on and it makes no
attempt to boot. Is the computer DOA? I checked connections and
wiggled stuff.

You may need to reset the CMOS. Pull the new battery, and short
the pins of the holder for a few seconds, then re-install the battery.
You will probably have to reset all the options after this, of course.

Good Luck,
DoN.

JOY, This was it but shorting it didn't work. leaving the battery out
all night did.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 10:00:24 -0500, "Pete C."

I have restored function to computers by unplugging them from
electricity and unplugging and re plugging every connector in the
computer. Doing the unplug/re plug routine gives all the connectors a
new fresh connection. Corroded memory board contacts will keep the
computer from booting.

^ This. Whenever strange issues start to crop up with a machine that's
fairly old, powering it down and unplugging/replugging every connector a
few times wipes oxide buildup off the contacts and usually solves the
problem.

That was particularly true back in the days of the "model T"
computers - where all of the ICs were socketed - and only the best
used high quality screw machine? sockets. Every memory bit was a
separate chup - with tinned legs.

On today's computers, with gold plated instead of tinned connections,
it is EXTREMELY rare.

I'd say, in order of likelihood- bad power supply (average ATX P/S up
to about 5 years ago only lasted 2 - 3 years) Bad caps on the
motherboard, or bad motherboard. What model board is it???? ASUS,
A-Open, etc and actual model designation???
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-11-16, Karl Townsend wrote:
i had a CMOS checksum error on my CNC mill. So, I installed a new
motherboard battery. Now the CPU fan just comes on and it makes no
attempt to boot. Is the computer DOA? I checked connections and
wiggled stuff.

You may need to reset the CMOS. Pull the new battery, and short
the pins of the holder for a few seconds, then re-install the battery.
You will probably have to reset all the options after this, of course.

Good Luck,
DoN.

JOY, This was it but shorting it didn't work. leaving the battery out
all night did.

Karl

Lucky!!!.
Back when the RTC was a separate chip we would remove the battery and
put a peice of tinfoil over the clock chip to short out all the pins.
The clock chip contained the C-MOS in most of those older machines .
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-11-16, Karl Townsend wrote:
i had a CMOS checksum error on my CNC mill. So, I installed a new
motherboard battery. Now the CPU fan just comes on and it makes no
attempt to boot. Is the computer DOA? I checked connections and
wiggled stuff.

You may need to reset the CMOS. Pull the new battery, and short
the pins of the holder for a few seconds, then re-install the battery.
You will probably have to reset all the options after this, of course.

Good Luck,
DoN.

JOY, This was it but shorting it didn't work. leaving the battery out
all night did.

Glad it worked. I had forgotten about the likelyhood of a diode
in the battery circuit, but it makes sense. (Now, if you could identify
the actual chip with the CMOS memory in it, and which pins were power
and ground on the chip, shorting across there would have been quicker.
But you have it done, so no worry.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 17 Nov 2012 05:22:24 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

You may need to reset the CMOS. Pull the new battery, and short
the pins of the holder for a few seconds, then re-install the battery.
You will probably have to reset all the options after this, of course.

Good Luck,
DoN.

JOY, This was it but shorting it didn't work. leaving the battery out
all night did.

[ ... ]

Back when the RTC was a separate chip we would remove the battery and
put a peice of tinfoil over the clock chip to short out all the pins.
The clock chip contained the C-MOS in most of those older machines .

Easier than in the older Sun workstations, which used a chip by
Toshiba which had the clock, the CMOS RAM, a crystal, *and* a coin cell
potted in a single package. No way to short out the battery from
outside. *And* -- it contained the host-id and the ethernet MAC address
inside it, with no easy way to reset those. (There was an
around-the-corner way, but it was not easy.) And if you had any
licensed software, the host-id was very important. If you did not have
it recorded, you had to go to Sun for a replacement, with the barcode
from the label on the chip.

If you left your computer on 24/7 you would get a really long
life from the built-in battery. If you stored it powered off, you would
be lucky to get five years out of it.

And -- there were (are) instructions on the web on how to dig
into the potting and wire an external coin cell to replace the now dead
one inside it. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 17 Nov 2012 05:22:24 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Those "integrated" CMOS devices were used on quite a few motherboards
back in the 386/486 era. Cannot remember the manufacturere - but when
the internal battery died you were cooked. I believe it was Dallas
Semi. Some could be taken apart and a new battery soldered in.
Sometimes you could cut the top off and solder wires to the 2 up-bent
pins and connect a standard c-mos battery, and some guys just replaced
the dallas with generic RTC chip -and an external battery.

Pain in the ARSE, for sure.

If you left your computer on 24/7 you would get a really long
life from the built-in battery. If you stored it powered off, you would
be lucky to get five years out of it.

And -- there were (are) instructions on the web on how to dig
into the potting and wire an external coin cell to replace the now dead
one inside it. :-)

Most I saw were not even potted - just built into a glued or welded
plastic box.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

i had a CMOS checksum error on my CNC mill. So, I installed a new
motherboard battery. Now the CPU fan just comes on and it makes no
attempt to boot. Is the computer DOA? I checked connections and
wiggled stuff.

Remove the new battery & short out the socket for a few seconds, then
reinstall the battery. You may have some corrupt data in the CMOS
scratchpad RAM.

There is usually a Bio "clear" pair of terminals that if shorted, will
wipe the bios settings and bring it back to factory default.

Ive never heard of shorting the socket working. Much for me to learn!

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

Hang tough, and do what you can. We will be waiting for your return.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

Too bad the PC based machine tools I work on..use an XT power supply.

Bummer

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

You are lucky The XT type supplies were a LOT more robust than the ATX
(and you CAN convert an ATX power supply to run an XT motherboard)

Bummer

Gunner

1. Lie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

What?..one needs a pin removal tool and?

I can find new 300 watt power supplies but they are getting harder to
find.

Gunner

Bummer

Gunner

1. Lie

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 09:51:00 -0500, the renowned "Pete C."

[...]

Nope. I've personally seen it on $$$ equipment with top quality gold
plated connectors. Reseat those connectors a few times and the problem
goes away.

Sometimes it's a cold solder joint somewhere that starts working again
when the board is flexed and the oxidation is temporarily wiped.
Chances are it will come back in either case.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

[...]

It never has in my experience. The last one was some equipment that was
unpowered for about a year and a half, lack of power seems to aggravate
the issue. The equipment was having odd issues when powered up again, I
powered down, reseated everything a few times and the problem went away.
The problem never reappeared in the next four years the equipment was
running.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, November 18, 2012 7:25:15 AM UTC-8, BQ340 wrote:
On 11/17/2012 10:00 AM, Pete C. wrote:

^ This. Whenever strange issues start to crop up with a machine that's
fairly old, powering it down and unplugging/replugging every connector a
few times wipes oxide buildup off the contacts and usually solves the
problem.

Exercising sockets is a valuable technique.

Yes, I have experienced that too, especially with memory cards. I rub a
piece of regular copy paper on the card contacts, it acts like like very
fine sandpaper.

That's called burnishing the contacts, another valuable technique.

I think though what really happens is the oxide is on the contacts in
the socket not on the gold card edge, but it works.

Gold isn't immune to oxidization (it forms an oxygen monolayer
spontaneously), but the film is thin and it doesn't grow.

Tin also oxidizes, but a thin layer of tin oxide is conductive (it's indium/tin
oxide that makes the transparent electrical connections for your LCD display).

Most important, is that a speck of dust or a film of oil or moisture can be submicroscopic
and still impede the low voltage connections in a computer. So, disturbing the
surface by mechanical wiping (like, when you loosen and reseat a memory module)
fixes that entire class of problem.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

whit3rd wrote:
[...]

I remembered this problem when a friend complained that the Cal Controls
controller on her glass furnace was giving thermocouple failure faults.
Various people had said to buy a new controller but as I have a Cal
controller I was aware that the guts of the controller can be prised out
of the panel mount enclosure, I presume to allow easy replacement when
banks of them are fitted such as in plastic extruder lines. As I had
mine apart to fit a comms module I was aware the PCB contacts were just
tinned and might suffer this problem possibly causing issues with low
level signals such as the thermocouple. I made a small pry bar to get
the guts out and re-inserted it a couple of times and the problem went
away. I've had the same happen on my controller more recently and
removing and refitting it cured the fault.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Billington" wrote in message
I remembered this problem when a friend complained that the Cal
Controls controller on her glass furnace was giving thermocouple
failure faults. Various people had said to buy a new controller but
as I have a Cal controller I was aware that the guts of the
controller can be prised out of the panel mount enclosure, I presume
to allow easy replacement when banks of them are fitted such as in
plastic extruder lines. As I had mine apart to fit a comms module I
was aware the PCB contacts were just tinned and might suffer this
problem possibly causing issues with low level signals such as the
thermocouple. I made a small pry bar to get the guts out and
re-inserted it a couple of times and the problem went away. I've had
the same happen on my controller more recently and removing and
refitting it cured the fault.

I have a nice 5-channel thermocouple temperature display in the
kitchen that I bought real cheap, and then found that it
intermittently went haywire until firmly rapped. Un- and re-plugging
everything has fixed it. The culprit was likely a socketed 40-pin IC.
http://www.doric-vas.com/400.htm

Now I can tell that a cooking pot on the woodstove downstairs has
reached boiling before I smell it burning.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-11-18, Pete C. wrote:

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

[...]

Hmm ... if it was something made after the ROHS requirement came
in, and if the connectors were plated with pure tin to match the
requirements, the pure tin grows conductive whiskers -- quickly or over
long periods of time. Whiskers across pins in active equipment may be
vaporized, while those across unpowered equipment will just stay there
until it is powered on. If multiple whiskers bridge a given connection,
there may not be sufficient current to blow the whiskers away.

But yes, oxidiation in connectors -- sitting idle or in frequent
use -- can be a problem. My most frequent experience with that was the
motherboard of the SWTP 6800 home computer kit. The bus connectors were
each a row of fifty pins sticking up, and Molex connectors which slide
over those. About once a year I would have to open it up and pull each
board off and slide it on a few times to clean the oxide. A real pain,
but at least I knew how to fix it. :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

On today's computers, with gold plated instead of tinned
connections,
it is EXTREMELY rare.

Good Luck,
DoN.

I thought bad connections had bitten me this afternoon. I installed a
new 2G RAM stick, booted, and got a message that memory had changed,
ending with "To resolve this issue, try to reseat the memory".

Two or three long minutes later a prompt to hit F5 to run the boot rom
diagnostics appeared. It passed just fine and then opened Windows
properly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-11-19, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

On today's computers, with gold plated instead of tinned
connections,
it is EXTREMELY rare.

Good Luck,
DoN.

I thought bad connections had bitten me this afternoon. I installed a
new 2G RAM stick, booted, and got a message that memory had changed,
ending with "To resolve this issue, try to reseat the memory".

Of course it changed. You *added* memory -- or replaced a
failed unit (you didn't say which). It apparently does not know the
difference between an increase in avaiable memory and a decrease.
(Perhaps this is a side-effect of Windows being designed to consider any
change a sign of possibly being moved to a new computer?)

Two or three long minutes later a prompt to hit F5 to run the boot rom
diagnostics appeared. It passed just fine and then opened Windows
properly.

Likely just complaining about the increase. :-)

I still remember the early message (which I first saw on a Wyse
PC -- pre Windows even -- which said:

Keyboard missing. Hit F1 to continue.

(and exactly how you were supposed to hit F1 when the keyboard was
missing was not explained. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 09:51:00 -0500, "Pete C."

[...]

I work on them every day - and other than add-on cards I have NOT seen
a single one in the last 8 or more years.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 09:58:04 -0500, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

[...]

Now THAT I have seen.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 11:56:41 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

[...]

If it was left sitting in a cool damp corrosive atmosphere I can see
it. On a machine in relatively normal use it is NOT an issue any more
- although it definitely was a common failure a decade or more ago.
Might be a problem on cheap crap machines - but I have not had the
problen even on Dell - or Compaq/HP.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 18 Nov 2012 22:48:22 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2012-11-18, Pete C. wrote:

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

[...]

There was a product made for that - can't remember but I think it was
de-ox-it. Put it on at assembly and NEVER have the problem. The
concentrate was over $30 an ounce over 20 years ago - but you mixed it
about 6:1 with ethanol and it went a LONG way.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 19 Nov 2012 01:08:40 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2012-11-19, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

On today's computers, with gold plated instead of tinned
connections,
it is EXTREMELY rare.

Good Luck,
DoN.

I thought bad connections had bitten me this afternoon. I installed a
new 2G RAM stick, booted, and got a message that memory had changed,
ending with "To resolve this issue, try to reseat the memory".

Of course it changed. You *added* memory -- or replaced a
failed unit (you didn't say which). It apparently does not know the
difference between an increase in avaiable memory and a decrease.
(Perhaps this is a side-effect of Windows being designed to consider any
change a sign of possibly being moved to a new computer?)

Except the error was not generated by Windows. It is a BIOS prompt.
Two or three long minutes later a prompt to hit F5 to run the boot rom
diagnostics appeared. It passed just fine and then opened Windows
properly.

Likely just complaining about the increase. :-)

I still remember the early message (which I first saw on a Wyse
PC -- pre Windows even -- which said:

Keyboard missing. Hit F1 to continue.

Yup. a lot of old CPM machines did the same. It was a "stacked" error
code. Anything that tripped the bios error code was reported - and
then the standard "hit F1 to continue" which was supposed to get you
into the PIOS setup.