Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default did i kill my 'puter

wrote:

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 10:00:24 -0500, "Pete C."

I have restored function to computers by unplugging them from
electricity and unplugging and re plugging every connector in the
computer. Doing the unplug/re plug routine gives all the connectors a
new fresh connection. Corroded memory board contacts will keep the
computer from booting.

^ This. Whenever strange issues start to crop up with a machine that's
fairly old, powering it down and unplugging/replugging every connector a
few times wipes oxide buildup off the contacts and usually solves the
problem.

That was particularly true back in the days of the "model T"
computers - where all of the ICs were socketed - and only the best
used high quality screw machine? sockets. Every memory bit was a
separate chup - with tinned legs.

On today's computers, with gold plated instead of tinned connections,
it is EXTREMELY rare.

Nope. I've personally seen it on $$$ equipment with top quality gold
plated connectors. Reseat those connectors a few times and the problem
goes away.