Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default did i kill my 'puter

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 11:56:41 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 09:51:00 -0500, the renowned "Pete C."

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 10:00:24 -0500, "Pete C."

I have restored function to computers by unplugging them from
electricity and unplugging and re plugging every connector in the
computer. Doing the unplug/re plug routine gives all the connectors a
new fresh connection. Corroded memory board contacts will keep the
computer from booting.

^ This. Whenever strange issues start to crop up with a machine that's
fairly old, powering it down and unplugging/replugging every connector a
few times wipes oxide buildup off the contacts and usually solves the
problem.
That was particularly true back in the days of the "model T"
computers - where all of the ICs were socketed - and only the best
used high quality screw machine? sockets. Every memory bit was a
separate chup - with tinned legs.

On today's computers, with gold plated instead of tinned connections,
it is EXTREMELY rare.

Nope. I've personally seen it on $$$ equipment with top quality gold
plated connectors. Reseat those connectors a few times and the problem
goes away.

Sometimes it's a cold solder joint somewhere that starts working again
when the board is flexed and the oxidation is temporarily wiped.
Chances are it will come back in either case.

It never has in my experience. The last one was some equipment that was
unpowered for about a year and a half, lack of power seems to aggravate
the issue. The equipment was having odd issues when powered up again, I
powered down, reseated everything a few times and the problem went away.
The problem never reappeared in the next four years the equipment was
running.

If it was left sitting in a cool damp corrosive atmosphere I can see
it. On a machine in relatively normal use it is NOT an issue any more
- although it definitely was a common failure a decade or more ago.
Might be a problem on cheap crap machines - but I have not had the
problen even on Dell - or Compaq/HP.