Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default did i kill my 'puter

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 20:28:48 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:13:43 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 21:08:33 -0500, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 11/16/2012 8:14 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 18:59:56 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 17:53:26 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

i had a CMOS checksum error on my CNC mill. So, I installed a new
motherboard battery. Now the CPU fan just comes on and it makes no
attempt to boot. Is the computer DOA? I checked connections and
wiggled stuff.

Remove the new battery & short out the socket for a few seconds, then
reinstall the battery. You may have some corrupt data in the CMOS
scratchpad RAM.

tryed that, No Joy

Try another power supply, if you have one. You may have a dying or
dead motherboard. Unplug all the drives, and cards except the video
card, if it isn't part of the motherboard. If you can't get the bios
screen to flash, look at the electrolytics on the motherboard, and the
ones near the processor in particular.

If they are bulging, they need replaced, or replace the motherboard.
They are a special low ESR 105° C type capacitor, and not always easy to
replace, because they are soldered to internal layers. If you can find
the exact same type motherboard, and move the processor to the
replacement board you shouldn't have to reinstall any software.

This is a P4 motherboard with an ISA slot for my Galil card. Rare and
expensive to replace. I happen to be in Ocala Tuesday. Are you
interested in looking at it?

Karl

Anybody with more than one computer should get a power supply tester.
They are just not expensive at $23. Its the first thing I do on a
problem box and often the only thing I need to do.

Too bad the PC based machine tools I work on..use an XT power supply.

You are lucky The XT type supplies were a LOT more robust than the ATX
(and you CAN convert an ATX power supply to run an XT motherboard)

What?..one needs a pin removal tool and?

I can find new 300 watt power supplies but they are getting harder to
find.

Gunner

Bummer

Gunner