Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default using 1/8" 6061 for aluminum radiator?

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 03:15:01 -0800 (PST), mike
wrote:

On Jan 16, 8:21 pm, DougC wrote:

That runs into even more issues.
The trans cooler is in the left-hand-side tank, and there is already a
separate oil cooler mounted on the front left-hand side of the
radiator... so the external trans cooler would have to be mounted &
plumbed all the way over to the right side.

I've not seen any gas engines with oil coolers in the radiator before,
didn't realize they did that...

My 2001 3.0 Ford Ranger has transmission cooler on the front side of the
radiator. As do most Fords to the best of my knowledge.

That's an auxiliary cooler...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Jan 16, 8:21 pm, DougC wrote:

That runs into even more issues.
The trans cooler is in the left-hand-side tank, and there is already a
separate oil cooler mounted on the front left-hand side of the
radiator... so the external trans cooler would have to be mounted &
plumbed all the way over to the right side.

I've not seen any gas engines with oil coolers in the radiator before,
didn't realize they did that...

My 2001 3.0 Ford Ranger has transmission cooler on the front side of the
radiator. As do most Fords to the best of my knowledge.

That's an auxiliary cooler...

I should have added "typically"....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:41:33 -0800 (PST), mike
wrote:

On Jan 17, 9:28*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Only for about 40 years now...

I wasn't very clear in saying what I meant...

*If you've ever seen a trail of oil
curving into a driveway, it's from the auto trans lines when the rad
had been removed. If they didn't put a tube between the tranny coolant
lines, the rear pump would push tranny fluid out when the vehicle was
moved.

Used to have a neighbor who'd leave a cup or so's worth of ATF
everytime they'd park in front of my house, figure that was a bad
seal...but, anyway, I was commenting on Doug's vehicle having an ATF-
oil cooler mounted *inside* the radiator.

Yes, I was, too. Haven't you ever had to remove the two A/T cooling
lines from the bottom of the radiator? This is what AI was saying had
been standard for 40+ years.

I miss my old job, had dsl there - now I'm once again banished to the
back-street environs of dialup internet...

Condolences. *Remember the old BBS curse?

* *Beat me, whip me, make me read my mail online.

Hadn't heard that one before, but then all that 'puter and BBS stuff
was like really mysterious to me back then. I didn't get my first 56K
modem until they started showing up at the goodwill store for 2 bucks
a piece

I started in 1991(?) with a 1200 Baud modem. cringe I had seen
friends with painful 300 Bauders.

--
The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which
it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I've not seen any gas engines with oil coolers in the radiator before,
didn't realize they did that..

Only for about 40 years now...

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in saying what I meant...

If you've ever seen a trail of oil
curving into a driveway, it's from the auto trans lines when the rad
had been removed. If they didn't put a tube between the tranny coolant
lines, the rear pump would push tranny fluid out when the vehicle was
moved.

I've seen many of those trails, but never followed one...I used to
have a neighbor
whose car would leave about a cup's worth of ATF every time they'd
park in front
of my house - I figure that was a leaky seal,...but, anyway, I was
just commenting
on Doug's car having the engine-oil cooler mounted *inside* the
radiator, since I've
only seen that arrangement with diesel vehicles. But, since I've not
owned anything
newer than an '85, that's not saying much.

I miss my old job, had dsl there - now I'm once again banished to the
back-street environs of dialup internet...

Condolences. Remember the old BBS curse?

Beat me, whip me, make me read my mail online.

Thanks, afraid I'm not familiar with that expression, but then back in
those
days both computers and BBS were very mysterious to me. I didn't get
my
first 56K modem until they started showing up at the Goodwill store
for 2 bucks apiece.

Dialup was all I had here until I spent $1k for a Starband and DISH
system. Now I have DSL (and -no- TV) and love it.

Man, that's a chunk of change, what's it cost month to month? Any
probs with outages or forever escalating fees? I'm hoping to get
another job with DSL (TV free here, too, since about '84,
don't need no steenkin' cable either, nor can I afford it
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 17, 1:14*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:41:33 -0800 (PST), mike

wrote:
On Jan 17, 9:28*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

Perhaps I can add some helpful information? Most aluminum radiators/
heat exchangers are dip-brazed now, with attaching brackets and some
fittings added, either by welding or by additional torch brazing. If
you can keep your input heat low enough, by using a damp rag on nearby
tender spots, then subsequent modifications or repairs can be made by
torch brazing, or welding. As a coincidence, I have a Behr BMW heat
exchanger here now that needs to be modified with new fittings and
brackets for another application. I expect it to go as planned.

Kent White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DougC" wrote in message
On 1/17/2012 6:06 AM, Rick wrote:

"DougC" wrote in message
On 1/16/2012 8:06 PM, Rick wrote:

There was a technical service bulletin released (96-12-17) for radiator
tank leaks at cold temperature, The replacement radiator (F67Z-8005-BA)
had a revised seal.

There is also a TSB for a revised water pump on the 4.0L, 97-18-9, for
thumping and/or erratic temp gauge. The part number for that pump is
F7PZ-8501-AA. I believe that also had an impeller change but I can't
remember the difference offhand.

There is also TSB 99-7-2 , referring to the coolant bypass kit for the 4.0
engine in Explorers. It makes no mention of any previous upgrades to the
radiator or water pump.

------

There was also a special water pump and a bypass kit, for the 4.0 liter
engine in the Explorers. At different times Ford said each would fix the
same problem, and now neither is available. I have the Ford page printouts
around somewhere, and there's lots of references to them online.

The bypass kit for the 96 Explorer is # F8PE-8522-BA

here is one of many forum postings referring it-
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/17...-and-down.html

People online all say how to fix the problem of the radiator leaking/temp
gauge going up and down/heater thumping, and they all say something
different...

It is 'definitely' either the water pump, the radiator, the radiator cap,
the temperature sensor, not using the dealer-source parts for any of
these,,, or not having the bypass kit installed--but what I noticed is
that nobody who got the bypass kit seems to keep posting that the problem
wasn't fixed. Everybody asks where to get the bypass kit, and Ford hasn't
made any new ones since 1998.

First I want a bombproof radiator, and next I'm making a bypass kit myself
(since I have tried most of the other stuff already, with no success more
than two years). If the gasket of the clamped-together radiator still
leaks, then I can just have the radiator shop TIG it together instead.

Good thing you have a copy...99-7-2 was superseded by 99-23-8, which "is
outdated and no longer available"

I don't recall seeing a bypass kit for the 4.0L. The 3.0L Ranger had a tee
in the lower radiator hose.

Usually the header is welded directly to the tank, no crimp ring or gasket.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Many many vehicles have the transmission cooler as a secondary set of
coils in the radiator itself. The ex's Saturn did, my E350 does,..my
fork lift does..etc etc etc

If there are small lines attaching to the radiator, generally along the
drivers side and midway up the radiator body...its an oil cooler built
into the radiator.

It's kinda coming back to me - most of the 50's and 60's cars that had
auto trannys'
that I can recall had the lines going into the bottom of the radiator,
easy for me to
forget (out of sight, out of mind) especially since I didn't at the
time know that ATF
needed cooling.

Though Im not terribly sure its all used for cooling. It may well be
used to keep the oil at a certain temperature..shrug

If that's the case, then, I guess it may not be a good idea to change
the cooler from liquid-
to air-cooled.

I can almost see the bean-counters telling the designers, "look guys,
it's only got to
get the car through the warranty period"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:

As mentioned previously, aftermarket trans oil coolers are widely available,
and fairly easy to install.

Hey WB,

I'm afraid that's a red herring I introduced a few posts ago - I was
just thinking
that it'd be good for the OP to get away from one of those crimped-
together radiators,
I think that's what he has.

I once had 2 Olds', a deluxe '84 model and a less fancy '83
model; the '84's radiator had soldered-on brass side tanks and the
'83 had the crimped on
plastic tanks, which had a slow leak. At first the '83 was a parts
car, I removed numerous items
from it and put 'em on the '84 9daily driver); then, after I let the
antifreeze get too old, the '83
became the daily driver and I had to move all the good parts over to
it.

Fixing bad designs is generally a lot of effort.. sometimes effective and
worthwhile, sometimes not.

These days it seems that most of the crap-designers/producers just
figure on producing crap
for a few years, then they'll have a name change and produce some more
of their crap,
on and on and on...