Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mike[_12_] mike[_12_] is offline

Default using 1/8" 6061 for aluminum radiator?

Gunner Asch wrote:

Many many vehicles have the transmission cooler as a secondary set of
coils in the radiator itself. The ex's Saturn did, my E350 does,..my
fork lift does..etc etc etc

If there are small lines attaching to the radiator, generally along the
drivers side and midway up the radiator body...its an oil cooler built
into the radiator.

It's kinda coming back to me - most of the 50's and 60's cars that had
auto trannys'
that I can recall had the lines going into the bottom of the radiator,
easy for me to
forget (out of sight, out of mind) especially since I didn't at the
time know that ATF
needed cooling.

Though Im not terribly sure its all used for cooling. It may well be
used to keep the oil at a certain temperature..shrug

If that's the case, then, I guess it may not be a good idea to change
the cooler from liquid-
to air-cooled.

I can almost see the bean-counters telling the designers, "look guys,
it's only got to
get the car through the warranty period"