Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Buying stock, aluminum, 6061 versus 6063?

I see the description on McMaster-Carr. Is there any difference
for bending? It will be used for ordinary purposes, nothing
precise. Is there any difference between 6061 and 6063 that
matters to a layperson?

Thanks.

Last time I went to Lowe's, I Wanted to buy a Johnson Level and
Tool Mfg Co 6 foot or longer ruler, since it was 1/8 inch thick by
2 inch wide by 6 feet long piece of quality looking aluminum. Made
in the USA. Unfortunately, Lowe's have replaced it with some
Chinese junk. Anyway, that used to be a cheap way to get a decent
amount of aluminum for $10 (US). It was a lot cheaper than their
buttery stock aluminum.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Anyway, that used to be a cheap way to get a decent
amount of aluminum for $10 (US). It was a lot cheaper than their
buttery stock aluminum.

Hmmm... I can't see a _lot_ of uses for a 6' long piece of perforated I-
beam. I guess if you had a specific call for that profile, it would be
useful...???

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4c580b9c$0$15998
:

Ruler, not level.

ahhh...

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 3, 5:08*am, John Doe wrote:
I see the description on McMaster-Carr. Is there any difference
for bending? It will be used for ordinary purposes, nothing
precise. Is there any difference between 6061 and 6063 that
matters to a layperson?

Thanks.

Last time I went to Lowe's, I Wanted to buy a Johnson Level and
Tool Mfg Co 6 foot or longer ruler, since it was 1/8 inch thick by
2 inch wide by 6 feet long piece of quality looking aluminum. Made
in the USA. Unfortunately, Lowe's have replaced it with some
Chinese junk. Anyway, that used to be a cheap way to get a decent
amount of aluminum for $10 (US). It was a lot cheaper than their
buttery stock aluminum.

That would be "scale", if it's got markings. Try a real hardware
store next time, HD and Lowe's are engaged in a race to the bottom for
quality. I know Ace here has had Johnson products. As far as
aluminum stock, all of them have about the same stuff, all extruded
and machines like bubblegum. I have run across a few chunks at one
store, now out of business, that had "6061" rolled on them in ink
along with the maker's name, so it CAN be had. If all you're going to
do is bend it and maybe poke some holes in it, the extruded stuff will
work just fine. If you're going to put some load on it and/or run it
down gravel roads with the same load on it, you might want to do some
more engineering. Watch your minimum bend radius, that stuff will
fall apart if you go too tight.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stans4 prolynx.com wrote:

That would be "scale", if it's got markings.

Merriam-Webster...
Main Entry: rul·er
3 : a smooth-edged strip (as of wood or metal) that is usually
marked off in units (as inches) and is used as a straightedge or
for measuring
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 08/03/2010 04:08 AM, John Doe wrote:
I see the description on McMaster-Carr. Is there any difference
for bending? It will be used for ordinary purposes, nothing
precise. Is there any difference between 6061 and 6063 that
matters to a layperson?

Thanks.

Last time I went to Lowe's, I Wanted to buy a Johnson Level and
Tool Mfg Co 6 foot or longer ruler, since it was 1/8 inch thick by
2 inch wide by 6 feet long piece of quality looking aluminum. Made
in the USA. Unfortunately, Lowe's have replaced it with some
Chinese junk. Anyway, that used to be a cheap way to get a decent
amount of aluminum for $10 (US). It was a lot cheaper than their
buttery stock aluminum.

If you have a scrap metal place near you, go check it out. Clackamas
Steel is a short drive from here, and in addition to the big yard of
rusty steel, they have a "brass shed" and an "aluminum shed". There's a
good selection of both machinable and bendable aluminum in there -- my
usual task on entering the building is to restrain myself from trying to
buy the whole damn thing!

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Aug 3, 5:08 am, John wrote:
[...]

And, I might add, it doesn't TIG weld fer ****...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott tim seemywebsite.com wrote:

If you have a scrap metal place near you, go check it out.
Clackamas Steel is a short drive from here, and in addition to
the big yard of rusty steel, they have a "brass shed" and an
"aluminum shed". There's a good selection of both machinable
and bendable aluminum in there -- my usual task on entering the
building is to restrain myself from trying to buy the whole damn
thing!

I got it all for less than $100, from McMaster-Carr.

aluminum, 6061, 8 mm Diameter, 6'
$4.04
aluminum, 6063, Tube, .065" Wall Thk, 7/8" OD, 6'
$9.17
aluminum, 6061, 1/16" Thick X 1" Width, 6'
$3.27
aluminum, 6061, 3/16" Thick X 1" Width X 6'
$11.00
aluminum, 6061, 1/16" Thick X 3/4" Width, 6'
$2.61
aluminum, 6061, 3/16" Thick X 3/4" Width X 6'
$8.58
aluminum, 6061, 1/16" Thick X 1/2" Width, 6'
$1.76
aluminum, 6061, 3/16" Thick X 1/2" Width X 6'
$5.97
Zinc-Plated Steel Threaded Rod 1/4"-20 Thread, 6'
$3.04
aluminum, 6063, U-Channel, 1-3/4" Base, 6'
$17.75
aluminum, 6061, 1/8" Thick X 2-1/2" Width X 6'
$15.97
aluminum, 6063, Square, 1" X 1", 1/16" Wall, 6'
$9.12
Merchandise $92.28
Plus shipping charges and tax.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 11:22:12 -0700, Jim Stewart

On Aug 3, 5:08 am, John wrote:
[...]

Which "it"? There's very little difference in the weldability of 6061
and 6063. I've never tried welding an aluminum rule. g

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 03 Aug 2010 11:08:42 GMT, John Doe wrote:

I see the description on McMaster-Carr. Is there any difference
for bending? It will be used for ordinary purposes, nothing
precise. Is there any difference between 6061 and 6063 that
matters to a layperson?

Thanks.

If memory serves, 6063 has about half the tensile strength of 6061.
--
Terry
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Lusardi wrote:
Yes, if either is hardened (T6), it will crack when bending. Heating
either alloy will destroy the heat treat and it will then bend without
cracking.
Steve

I missed the original thread but saw your reply, did the OP require a
very tight bend which could lead to cracking?. I've bent 2" x 3/8" IIRC
6082 -T6, certainly T6, in a broad radius, about 5", and that worked
fine, I did have a 2m cheater on it to get the leverage. For a tight
bend on sheet I would assume cracking especially if bent parallel to the
grain.

"John Doe" wrote in message
I see the description on McMaster-Carr. Is there any difference
for bending? It will be used for ordinary purposes, nothing
precise. Is there any difference between 6061 and 6063 that
matters to a layperson?

Thanks.

Last time I went to Lowe's, I Wanted to buy a Johnson Level and
Tool Mfg Co 6 foot or longer ruler, since it was 1/8 inch thick by
2 inch wide by 6 feet long piece of quality looking aluminum. Made
in the USA. Unfortunately, Lowe's have replaced it with some
Chinese junk. Anyway, that used to be a cheap way to get a decent
amount of aluminum for $10 (US). It was a lot cheaper than their
buttery stock aluminum.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 14:17:49 -0500, Terry
wrote:

On 03 Aug 2010 11:08:42 GMT, John Doe wrote:

I see the description on McMaster-Carr. Is there any difference
for bending? It will be used for ordinary purposes, nothing
precise. Is there any difference between 6061 and 6063 that
matters to a layperson?

Thanks.

If memory serves, 6063 has about half the tensile strength of 6061.

Closer to 80% in the T6 condition. I researched this pretty thoroughly
for a customer a few years ago. They received a large shipment of
custom extrusions that were supposed to be 6061, but there was a mixup
and the mill ran 6063 instead.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 03 Aug 2010 11:08:42 GMT, John Doe wrote:

I see the description on McMaster-Carr. Is there any difference
for bending? It will be used for ordinary purposes, nothing
precise. Is there any difference between 6061 and 6063 that
matters to a layperson?

Thanks.

If memory serves, 6063 has about half the tensile strength of 6061.

Closer to 80% in the T6 condition. I researched this pretty thoroughly
for a customer a few years ago. They received a large shipment of
custom extrusions that were supposed to be 6061, but there was a mixup
and the mill ran 6063 instead.

--
Ned Simmons

Right. ASM (_Metals Handbook, 9th Ed.) shows 42 ksi ultimate tensile and 37
ksi yield for 6061 T6. For 6063, the comparable numbers are 35 ksi and 31
ksi. There are some stronger tempers for 6063 (T83; T832). But it's
primarily an extrusion alloy, with machineability and weldability for both
alloys being similar.

Heat treatment is almost the same for both alloys. Annealing is done at 775
deg. F; hold for 2 - 3 hours; ramp down at 50 deg. F per hour from 775 F to
500 F.

Both alloys indicate 12% elongation at the T6 temper, so neither one is very
good for making tight bends in the hard condition.

--
Ed Huntress