Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Is this compressor worth anything?

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 12:01:48 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Ignoramus8003 wrote:

(...)

A 10 HP Quincy compressor is no less noisy.

At 350 RPM, the Quincy would be quieter.
Cleaned and sold, it would be *much* quieter.

That would depend on how loudly Ig fans all those Benjies, oui?

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 12:01:48 -0800,
wrote:

Ignoramus8003 wrote:

(...)

A 10 HP Quincy compressor is no less noisy.

At 350 RPM, the Quincy would be quieter.
Cleaned and sold, it would be *much* quieter.

That would depend on how loudly Ig fans all those Benjies, oui?

May there be an embarrassing number of them.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 16:26:40 -0800,
wrote:

Jon Elson wrote:
On 11/21/2011 11:10 PM, Winston wrote:
Bill wrote:

(...)

actually, if you put a 1/4 HP motor on it (with proper reduction) you
would have a much better compressor than one of those buzzy little
things - in fact a old "free' washing machine motor will run it just
fine, just well below capacity - that will be a very efficient
(thermodynamically) compressor

Quiet, too.

--Winston

Curiously, my Quincy got QUIETER when I upped the motor. It came with
a continuously-on motor and pneumatic unloader, and a 1 Hp motor. The
pulleys were set for something like 450 RPM.
I got a 2 Hp motor and changed the motor pulley to get 915 RPM and
rigged controller to use both unload and motor start/stop as the demand
required. The surprise is the compressor was quiter at 900 RPM than 450.
My guess is the intake valves were pulsating at 450 but go full
open at 900.

'Could also be a 'resonance' thing.

It probably depends on the preferred RPM of the compressor in
question, too. I'm sure Jon checked that out before upping it.

P.S: Did you see me wave on Monday when I got to NorCal? I was looking
your direction from me Mum's in Vallejo. I had a nicebuuuuuuuuurp
Tanksgivin wit fambly.

That was you?

SWMBO screamed "Wave back, you moron! That's Brad Pitt!"

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nice save/bargain for Gerry, except for the gasoline used as cleaning
solvent, which ain't very smart.

--
WB

"Winston" wrote in message
Gerald Miller wrote:
First thing I did with my little GD head that I bought for $3 was to
dump the contents of the crank case (7 oz. water, 7 oz. sludge and 2
oz. of oily substance) and thoroughly wash it out with gasoline. Then
I filled it to the fill plug with compressor oil. I have yet to see
any indication of oil loss or water contamination.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

One RCM Attaboy, Gerry!

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:
Nice save/bargain for Gerry, except for the gasoline used as cleaning
solvent, which ain't very smart.

Well, yah.

Simple Green or equivalent would be much safer.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 21:09:30 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 12:01:48 -0800,
wrote:

Ignoramus8003 wrote:

(...)

A 10 HP Quincy compressor is no less noisy.

At 350 RPM, the Quincy would be quieter.
Cleaned and sold, it would be *much* quieter.

That would depend on how loudly Ig fans all those Benjies, oui?

May there be an embarrassing number of them.

With Ig, there's -always- an embarrassing number of them. He found
his niche, I tell ya. I want to be adopted!

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 21:11:24 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

P.S: Did you see me wave on Monday when I got to NorCal? I was looking
your direction from me Mum's in Vallejo. I had a nicebuuuuuuuuurp
Tanksgivin wit fambly.

That was you?

SWMBO screamed "Wave back, you moron! That's Brad Pitt!"

Thank her for the great compliment, then rush her to the optometrist!

--
Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because
we make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 21:09:30 -0800,
wrote:

(...)

May there be an embarrassing number of them.

With Ig, there's -always- an embarrassing number of them. He found
his niche, I tell ya. I want to be adopted!

Hey Iggy, you should write a book for those of us that
always 'buy high, then throw away'.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 07:58:14 -0500, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

Nice save/bargain for Gerry, except for the gasoline used as cleaning
solvent, which ain't very smart.

Over a winter, I will spill more filling my snow blower than I used to
clean that compressor. Which would you rather see spilled, gasoline or
paint thinner? besides, whatever is left goes into the used oil jug,
then to the hazardous waste facility along with the contents of
juniors bike which hadn't run in ten years.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Nice save/bargain for Gerry, except for the gasoline used as cleaning
solvent, which ain't very smart.

Over a winter, I will spill more filling my snow blower than I used to
clean that compressor. Which would you rather see spilled, gasoline or
paint thinner? besides, whatever is left goes into the used oil jug,
then to the hazardous waste facility along with the contents of
juniors bike which hadn't run in ten years.

Dayum, man. Get a good gas can and learn to use it. Mother Earth and
your neighbors, family, and self will thank you for it.

Tape a flashlight to the nozzle if you're missing the hole.

--
Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because
we make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable,
when we fail to take risks or seize opportunities.
-- Susan Rice
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Tape a flashlight to the nozzle if you're missing the hole.

So, THAT's why you carry a flashlight to the bathroom at night!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I wasn't commenting wrt waste/spillage/world economic or ecological
collapse.. but gasoline is a dangerous cleaning solvent.. and there isn't a
practical reason for using it to clean parts.

The possibility of giving readers the impression that gasoline can be used
casually for other purposes is irresponsible.. and wouldn't imply that you
were being thrifty or clever.

--
WB

wrote:

Nice save/bargain for Gerry, except for the gasoline used as cleaning
solvent, which ain't very smart.

Over a winter, I will spill more filling my snow blower than I used to
clean that compressor. Which would you rather see spilled, gasoline or
paint thinner? besides, whatever is left goes into the used oil jug,
then to the hazardous waste facility along with the contents of
juniors bike which hadn't run in ten years.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 17:08:00 -0500, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

I wasn't commenting wrt waste/spillage/world economic or ecological
collapse.. but gasoline is a dangerous cleaning solvent.. and there isn't a
practical reason for using it to clean parts.

The possibility of giving readers the impression that gasoline can be used
casually for other purposes is irresponsible.. and wouldn't imply that you
were being thrifty or clever.

Any light petroleum product can be used to dissolve a heavier residue,
what you use, depends on what is readily available when you need it.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That's how Mrs. O'Leary was parts washing, that fateful
night.
http://www.thechicagofire.com/

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
I wasn't commenting wrt waste/spillage/world economic or
ecological
collapse.. but gasoline is a dangerous cleaning solvent..
and there isn't a
practical reason for using it to clean parts.

The possibility of giving readers the impression that
gasoline can be used
casually for other purposes is irresponsible.. and wouldn't
imply that you
were being thrifty or clever.

--
WB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/27/2011 04:08 PM, Wild_Bill wrote:
.. but gasoline is a dangerous cleaning solvent.. and there
isn't a practical reason for using it to clean parts.

What's more dangerous with gasoline vs other petroleum solvents?
All are flammable, some have lower vapor pressure but will still
burn.

Get off your high horse.

technomaNge
--
What?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-28, technomaNge wrote:
On 11/27/2011 04:08 PM, Wild_Bill wrote:
.. but gasoline is a dangerous cleaning solvent.. and there
isn't a practical reason for using it to clean parts.

What's more dangerous with gasoline vs other petroleum solvents?
All are flammable, some have lower vapor pressure but will still
burn.

Get off your high horse.

I use gasoline outdoors, in small quantities, like 1/2 pint.

The problem with gasoline is that it produces a lot of vapors, unlike
some heavier solvents. Parts washing solvent, for example, produces a
comparably negligible amount of vapors.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gasoline is flammable. Kerosene, and diesel, and a few
others are not flammable, but are combustible.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"technomaNge" wrote in message

What's more dangerous with gasoline vs other petroleum
solvents?
All are flammable, some have lower vapor pressure but will
still
burn.

Get off your high horse.

technomaNge
--
What?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 00:51:27 -0600, Tim Wescott wrote:

More accurately: would it be worth anything if it's not broken, worn
out, or otherwise trashed, and how likely is it to have problems that
won't show up immediately?

Nameplate says "Emerson". I'd be using it mostly for filling tires and
painting model airplanes.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/tls/2700954509.html

Update:

When I bought it I made sure that it got plugged in and came up to
pressure. What I _didn't_ do was bleed off some air and make sure it
started again -- which it doesn't. It tries, but the thing don't turn.
I thought "this thing needs a blow-down". Then I heard the slow leak
from the compressor head, deduced the existence of a check valve, and
found the check valve. Presumably it just needs to be 're-checked'.

Oh well.

http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-06, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

If it runs and pumps, the rest is fixable.

(If it did not run, it could be fixable also, just not a given)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 11:32:55 -0600, Ignoramus12217 wrote:

On 2011-12-06, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

(If it did not run, it could be fixable also, just not a given) i

Yup. It looks like the check valve is even made to be maintained, so I
may be able to fix it without either total disassembly or buying
replacement parts -- this is a good thing, because the compressor
purchase has inspired purchase of spray guns, hoses, etc. -- I just need
a regulator and to clean up the nice used guns I bought, and I'm ready to
paint.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-06, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

I do not think that it is the check valve that is the culprit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 12:55:44 -0600, Ignoramus12217

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-06, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

It's a cheap little compressor, so I'm pretty sure that the "unloader" is
an intentional leak in the compressor head and the check valve.

I respectfully disagree with Iggy, but if the check valve is doing it's
job I may well come to agree with him.

http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-06, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

On disassembly, the check valve revealed a nice little spring, a nicely
polished seat where the ball goes -- and no ball.

Methinks it's the check valve...

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-06, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

This is what I am thinking, unloader not working mechanically or
electrically.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-06, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

.... and with a ball _in_ the check valve, it works just fine, even though
it keeps leaking from the compressor head (the ball came from a toy, so
while it's steel and shiny, it's probably far -- or far enough -- from
being a perfectly round ball bearing).

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

congrats!

On 2011-12-06, Tim Wescott wrote:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-06, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

Thats what it sounds like.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-06, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

On my home brew set up, the unloader is incorporated in the pressure
switch - 1/4" tube runs from the input side of the check valve to the
side of the switch where a tire valve is pressed open when the switch
turns the motor off. At this point there is a hiss as air is released
from the plumbing between the compressor and the check valve. I can
press the little lever down to release pressure if I switch the motor
off before the tank is up to pressure. Some pressure switches manually
shut off the power by mechanically opening the contacts independent of
pressure.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-06, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

My friendly mechanic donated a 1/2" ball from a dismantled bearing to
replace the corroded ball which serves as the outlet valve on my
little Gardner Denver.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-06, Tim Wescott wrote:

Yup. It looks like the check valve is even made to be maintained, so
I may be able to fix it without either total disassembly or buying
replacement parts -- this is a good thing, because the compressor
purchase has inspired purchase of spray guns, hoses, etc. -- I just
need a regulator and to clean up the nice used guns I bought, and I'm
ready to paint.

I do not think that it is the check valve that is the culprit.

On disassembly, the check valve revealed a nice little spring, a nicely
polished seat where the ball goes -- and no ball.

Methinks it's the check valve...

... and with a ball _in_ the check valve, it works just fine, even though
it keeps leaking from the compressor head (the ball came from a toy, so
while it's steel and shiny, it's probably far -- or far enough -- from
being a perfectly round ball bearing).

Sounds like two different problems. One, the check valve (now that
you have one...) still isn't sealing. Hence the leak-back and
hissing, and the hard starting.

Most of those valves either have a hard poppet with a soft seat, or a
hard seat and a poppet like a little torpedo with a soft sealing face
washer on it. Hard seat and hard ball isn't going to do it.

Look up the generic compressor check valves on McMaster or Grainger,
they're cheap and easy to replace - the hard part is finding the right
combination of NPT threads on the tank end and Flare or Compression or
NPT on the compressor end.

Two, there should be a mechanical unloader valve on the pressure
switch, with some 1/4" tubing between the unloader and the output
tubing before the tank check valve.

You might even be able to fix yours on the cheap. It's a Schraeder
tire core for the valve.

-- Bruce --