Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Is this compressor worth anything?

More accurately: would it be worth anything if it's not broken, worn out,
or otherwise trashed, and how likely is it to have problems that won't
show up immediately?

Nameplate says "Emerson". I'd be using it mostly for filling tires and
painting model airplanes.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/tls/2700954509.html

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
More accurately: would it be worth anything if it's not broken, worn out,
or otherwise trashed, and how likely is it to have problems that won't
show up immediately?

Nameplate says "Emerson". I'd be using it mostly for filling tires and
painting model airplanes.

Offer this guy 50 smackers for his Quincy:
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/tls/2712497825.html
Replace the motor with a 2 HP 1 phase and be
happy for a long, long time, would be my advice.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 23:19:21 -0800, Winston wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:
More accurately: would it be worth anything if it's not broken, worn
out, or otherwise trashed, and how likely is it to have problems that
won't show up immediately?

Nameplate says "Emerson". I'd be using it mostly for filling tires and
painting model airplanes.

Offer this guy 50 smackers for his Quincy:
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/tls/2712497825.html Replace the motor
with a 2 HP 1 phase and be happy for a long, long time, would be my
advice.

$50 is actually pushing the "play" budget a bit, it's just that I'm
getting damn tired of rattle-can paint jobs. So $50 + a motor is a bit
hard to swing, unless I can trade the 3-phase motor for a 2-phase, or
unless there's a _cheap_ and reliable way to cobble it up with start caps
and run at reduced HP.

I was looking at this, too, but without knowing where it's been it's hard
to know:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/tls/2709025964.html

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

The second one is bigger, but has NO guarding on it. So if you have kids
or grandkids or kittens/puppies ..one would have to be very careful
about using it with them around. And given its condition..one wonders
about valves and rings.

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

This one certainly wondered about valves and rings!!

And I hadn't noticed the lack of guards, but that's a good point. It
could be retrofit -- at the cost of time I'd rather spend doing other
things.

--
www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

(...)

$50 is actually pushing the "play" budget a bit, it's just that I'm
getting damn tired of rattle-can paint jobs. So $50 + a motor is a bit
hard to swing, unless I can trade the 3-phase motor for a 2-phase, or
unless there's a _cheap_ and reliable way to cobble it up with start caps
and run at reduced HP.

We all need to think more like Iggy, Tim:

Iggy: Very funny!
Iggy:
Iggy: I have a 10 HP Quincy and I paid $200 for it.

The real answer is to buy the Quincy for $50:

1) Invest some sweat equity to clean it up and test it.
2) Offer it on eBay for say $1500:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250817510391
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160684112073
3) Buy a few decent compressors with the profits.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-21, Winston wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:

(...)

$50 is actually pushing the "play" budget a bit, it's just that I'm
getting damn tired of rattle-can paint jobs. So $50 + a motor is a bit
hard to swing, unless I can trade the 3-phase motor for a 2-phase, or
unless there's a _cheap_ and reliable way to cobble it up with start caps
and run at reduced HP.

We all need to think more like Iggy, Tim:

Iggy: Very funny!

What I found funny is the idea of putting a 2 HP motor on a 10 HP
QUincy.

Iggy:
Iggy: I have a 10 HP Quincy and I paid $200 for it.

The real answer is to buy the Quincy for $50:

1) Invest some sweat equity to clean it up and test it.
2) Offer it on eBay for say $1500:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250817510391
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160684112073
3) Buy a few decent compressors with the profits.

--Winston

yep...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-21, wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:

(...)

[...]

actually, if you put a 1/4 HP motor on it (with proper reduction) you
would have a much better compressor than one of those buzzy little
things - in fact a old "free' washing machine motor will run it just
fine, just well below capacity - that will be a very efficient
(thermodynamically) compressor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-21, wrote:

(...)

We all need to think more like Iggy, Tim:

Iggy: Very funny!

What I found funny is the idea of putting a 2 HP motor on a 10 HP
QUincy.

He needed 40 PSI. That would have done it all day, all night.
Even if it required a jack-shaft to adjust for lower
RPM at sufficient torque:
http://209.85.48.9/2428/142/upload/p3275451.jpg

Iggy:
Iggy: I have a 10 HP Quincy and I paid $200 for it.

The real answer is to buy the Quincy for $50:

1) Invest some sweat equity to clean it up and test it.
2) Offer it on eBay for say $1500:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250817510391
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160684112073
3) Buy a few decent compressors with the profits.

--Winston

yep...

I like the second idea better too.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:
More accurately: would it be worth anything if it's not broken, worn out,
or otherwise trashed, and how likely is it to have problems that won't
show up immediately?

Nameplate says "Emerson". I'd be using it mostly for filling tires and
painting model airplanes.

Offer this guy 50 smackers for his Quincy:
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/tls/2712497825.html
Replace the motor with a 2 HP 1 phase and be
happy for a long, long time, would be my advice.

--Winston

Im not terribly sure a 2hp motor will turn that compressor. It would be
rough for a 5hp pulley'd down.

The Emerson is older than dirt and is very very small, but they were
fairly rugged, and for the task..that would do just fine assuming the
pump was still ok. If the motor dies..it may not be easy finding a
replacement.

If you cant talk him down from $50...it would be ok for your usage

I gave a very similar one away not long ago that was about the same
size. Guy is using it for..tires and RC car painting G..works fine for
him.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:
More accurately: would it be worth anything if it's not broken, worn out,
or otherwise trashed, and how likely is it to have problems that won't
show up immediately?

Nameplate says "Emerson". I'd be using it mostly for filling tires and
painting model airplanes.

Offer this guy 50 smackers for his Quincy:
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/tls/2712497825.html
Replace the motor with a 2 HP 1 phase and be
happy for a long, long time, would be my advice.

--Winston

Im not terribly sure a 2hp motor will turn that compressor. It would be
rough for a 5hp pulley'd down.

Put a 5:1 jack shaft on it. It would work just fine.

But as I mentioned, first prize would be to just clean
it up and sell it for huge money.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-21, Winston wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
More accurately: would it be worth anything if it's not broken, worn out,
or otherwise trashed, and how likely is it to have problems that won't
show up immediately?

Nameplate says "Emerson". I'd be using it mostly for filling tires and
painting model airplanes.

Offer this guy 50 smackers for his Quincy:
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/tls/2712497825.html
Replace the motor with a 2 HP 1 phase and be
happy for a long, long time, would be my advice.

Very funny!

I have a 10 HP Quincy and I paid $200 for it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
More accurately: would it be worth anything if it's not broken, worn out,
or otherwise trashed, and how likely is it to have problems that won't
show up immediately?

Nameplate says "Emerson". I'd be using it mostly for filling tires and
painting model airplanes.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/tls/2700954509.html

That looks like a dentists compressor.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
More accurately: would it be worth anything if it's not broken, worn out,
or otherwise trashed, and how likely is it to have problems that won't
show up immediately?

Nameplate says "Emerson". I'd be using it mostly for filling tires and
painting model airplanes.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/tls/2700954509.html

--
www.wescottdesign.com

Look at some of the very small compressors from the cheap auto places and
use an old Propane tank for a resrvoir?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-21, Dennis wrote:

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
More accurately: would it be worth anything if it's not broken, worn out,
or otherwise trashed, and how likely is it to have problems that won't
show up immediately?

Nameplate says "Emerson". I'd be using it mostly for filling tires and
painting model airplanes.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/tls/2700954509.html

--
www.wescottdesign.com

Look at some of the very small compressors from the cheap auto places and
use an old Propane tank for a resrvoir?

And spend the price difference for earplugs. :-) Good belt
driven compressors are *much* quieter in operation than the oil-free
ones.

Unless you mean the really small ones designed to pug into the
cigarette lighter socket (if you still have one) to refill tires on the
road. And those take forever to move much air. Totally useless for
painting. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-21, Dennis wrote:

[...]

(too) near Washington D.C. |

They are certainly noisy - Once I forgot to turn mine off at the power
point, I'm sure the neighbors were impressed with it coming on at 3am when
the air leaked down. Had to drag myself out of bed to shut if off.

I was thinking of the small ones for running airbrushes. Your'e right about
the tyre compressors - all pressure and no volume.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-21, Dennis wrote:

[...]

A 10 HP Quincy compressor is no less noisy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus8003 wrote:

(...)

A 10 HP Quincy compressor is no less noisy.

At 350 RPM, the Quincy would be quieter.
Cleaned and sold, it would be *much* quieter.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dennis wrote:

(...)

I was thinking of the small ones for running airbrushes. Your'e right about
the tyre compressors - all pressure and no volume.

Refrigerator compressors are very quiet.
http://www.airbrushtech.info/AIRBRUS...p/t-13477.html

I wouldn't attempt to inflate a tire with one, though
it'd be excellent for airbrush use, with proper filtering.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston fired this volley in
:

I wouldn't attempt to inflate a tire with one, though
it'd be excellent for airbrush use, with proper filtering.

It would work fine, if you had the time! G

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
Refrigerator compressors are very quiet.

I wouldn't attempt to inflate a tire with one, ...

I made a mini compressor using a dorm-room refrigerator compressor and a
5lb (1 gal) propane tank. I keep it in the shed and use it for
inflating garden equipment tires. The 1 gal tank is enough that I don't
have to wait for the compressor. Weighs maybe 15 - 20 lbs. I didn't
even use a pressure switch - I just turn it off when a 60 psi pop-off
valve vents.

Beats the **** out of a hand pump G.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I do refrigeration, and HVAC work. I've used refrigerator
compressors for inflating tires, and airing up expansion
tanks. They work fine. A bit slow, but they do work. Some
times, the compressor won't start if there is a lot of back
pressure in the discharge line. If the compressor is
properly upright, very little oil gets into the air. And the
water separator should take care of that.

Just for fun, one time I brazed a fitting onto the discharge
line of a compressor I took out of a refrigerated
merchandiser. Piped it to the high side of my gages. I got
up to 400 PSI before I chickend out and pulled the plug. The
SCFM isn't great. But, you can turn the compressor on long
before the job, and fill a huge expansion tank.

The lube oil is essential. However, it's often possible to
drain the refrigerator oil that absorbs moisture from the
air. Put in the same volume of ND-30, which works a lot
longer.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Winston" wrote in message

Refrigerator compressors are very quiet.
http://www.airbrushtech.info/AIRBRUS...p/t-13477.html

I wouldn't attempt to inflate a tire with one, though
it'd be excellent for airbrush use, with proper filtering.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 21, 1:51*am, Tim Wescott wrote:
More accurately: would it be worth anything if it's not broken, worn out,
or otherwise trashed, and how likely is it to have problems that won't
show up immediately?

Nameplate says "Emerson". *I'd be using it mostly for filling tires and
painting model airplanes.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/tls/2700954509.html

--www.wescottdesign.com

I've picked up several compressor motors of that style that were not
putting out much air until
the head had been removed and the reed valves cleaned, didn't need any
new parts and aren't
real complicated, just be sure to reassemble correctly (hopefully
some one else has been there
already and mis-assembled it).

Just a tip - if you go to look at it, pick it up off the ground a
little bit and kind of wobble it back
and forth, if it seems half full of water that may give you a clue as
to whether to get it, or a
bargaining point if it feels like it's got water in it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"mike" wrote in message
[...]

I picked a nice clean unit (probably less than 12 months old) from the hard
junk verge collection a few months back.

I pressed the reset button on the motor & away it went. Runs fine!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

mike wrote:
Oops, that should read 'not mis-assembled it'

real complicated, just be sure to reassemble correctly (hopefully
some one else has been there
already and mis-assembled it).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 00:51:27 -0600, Tim Wescott
wrote:

More accurately: would it be worth anything if it's not broken, worn out,
or otherwise trashed, and how likely is it to have problems that won't
show up immediately?

Nameplate says "Emerson". I'd be using it mostly for filling tires and
painting model airplanes.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/tls/2700954509.html

It's a nice little wobble-piston oilless that should be plenty for a
homeowner. You can get parts for it if you need to, the head is
either Gast or Thomas or Speedaire. And check the tank for signs of
huge rust or pinholes - you don't patch leaking and rusted-out
pressure vessels, you replace them. (Or try to sell them off to
someone else.)

Forget the big 10-HP 3-Ph unless you're planning to work on cars and
need that much air - you would need at least a 7-1/2 HP single-phase
motor and a sheave change to use it at a residence - or a rotary phase
converter. Forget a static, they don't put out enough power.

And the third one looks Real Rough. Wouldn't even think about it
unless it's hooked up and running.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

From the looks of that, appears to be an oilless. I'd be
tempted to take that same $50 and go buy one at Harbor
Freight, and get a warranty. I have their three gallon
pancace compressor. I think it's $80 retail, and it's
usually on sale. I use it for airing up tires, once in a
while. With the regulator, I also used it to air up the
sports balls at church. And, on full blast, it can be used
to blow dust out of condensors for refrigerated equipment.
The blow gun, hose, etc, cost me another $25 or so.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
More accurately: would it be worth anything if it's not
broken, worn out,
or otherwise trashed, and how likely is it to have problems
that won't
show up immediately?

Nameplate says "Emerson". I'd be using it mostly for
filling tires and
painting model airplanes.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/tls/2700954509.html

--
www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I don't know much about that compressor but I can tell you about my budget
compressor, it may give you some ideas.

About 30 years ago I went to an auction of an old service station with a lot
of junk. They had an old 2 cylinder Freon compressor welded to a frame,
motor was gone. I bought it for $7.50, cleaned out layers of paint in the
intake (no filter), opened it up, looked OK inside. I purchased a wal-mart
air tank for $30 and enough fittings to connect the compressor to the tank.
A friend sold me a 3/4 HP single phase motor for around $5 or $10. The
budget went over $50 but I was able to build it a little at a time. Bought
a pressure switch and regulator. Nice thing is I can pump it up, disconnect
it and still use as a portable air tank.

If it were me I'd take a look at the compressor, may serve you fine for
years, whatever gives out, compressor, motor, tank rust,... may not take a
lot to keep it running for years of service. My old compressor that I got
30 years ago still works fine as of the last time I tried it.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sounds like you did good. A real machinist, building tools
as you go.

Please look for an oil sight glass, and drain plug. The old
lube oil they used to use absorbs water from the air.
Replace the lube oil with ND-30 if you have the time,
energy, and interest.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RogerN" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 08:37:47 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Sounds like you did good. A real machinist, building tools
as you go.

Please look for an oil sight glass, and drain plug. The old
lube oil they used to use absorbs water from the air.
Replace the lube oil with ND-30 if you have the time,
energy, and interest.

First thing I did with my little GD head that I bought for $3 was to
dump the contents of the crank case (7 oz. water, 7 oz. sludge and 2
oz. of oily substance) and thoroughly wash it out with gasoline. Then
I filled it to the fill plug with compressor oil. I have yet to see
any indication of oil loss or water contamination.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Sounds like you did good. A real machinist, building tools
as you go.

Please look for an oil sight glass, and drain plug. The old
lube oil they used to use absorbs water from the air.
Replace the lube oil with ND-30 if you have the time,
energy, and interest.

First thing I did with my little GD head that I bought for $3 was to
dump the contents of the crank case (7 oz. water, 7 oz. sludge and 2
oz. of oily substance) and thoroughly wash it out with gasoline. Then
I filled it to the fill plug with compressor oil. I have yet to see
any indication of oil loss or water contamination.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

One RCM Attaboy, Gerry!

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 00:51:27 -0600, Tim Wescott wrote:

More accurately: would it be worth anything if it's not broken, worn
out, or otherwise trashed, and how likely is it to have problems that
won't show up immediately?

Nameplate says "Emerson". I'd be using it mostly for filling tires and
painting model airplanes.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/tls/2700954509.html

Update:

When I bought it I made sure that it got plugged in and came up to
pressure. What I _didn't_ do was bleed off some air and make sure it
started again -- which it doesn't. It tries, but the thing don't turn.
I thought "this thing needs a blow-down". Then I heard the slow leak
from the compressor head, deduced the existence of a check valve, and
found the check valve. Presumably it just needs to be 're-checked'.

Oh well.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-06, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

If it runs and pumps, the rest is fixable.

(If it did not run, it could be fixable also, just not a given)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 11:32:55 -0600, Ignoramus12217 wrote:

On 2011-12-06, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

(If it did not run, it could be fixable also, just not a given) i

Yup. It looks like the check valve is even made to be maintained, so I
may be able to fix it without either total disassembly or buying
replacement parts -- this is a good thing, because the compressor
purchase has inspired purchase of spray guns, hoses, etc. -- I just need
a regulator and to clean up the nice used guns I bought, and I'm ready to
paint.

http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-06, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

I do not think that it is the check valve that is the culprit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-06, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

On disassembly, the check valve revealed a nice little spring, a nicely
polished seat where the ball goes -- and no ball.

Methinks it's the check valve...

http://www.wescottdesign.com