David

Default It's more than $50 but well worth it...

Another thread asked what's a good gift to ask for that's about $50.
Last year my wife splurged on a leather woodworking apron for me. It
wasn't something I'd ever thought about, but after trying it on, I'm
never without it when I'm in the shop. It keeps the irritating bits of
sawdust off my clothes. I think the one she bought was just shy of $200
with shipping and tax, so it ain't cheap, but now that I have it I
wouldn't be without it.

Just like a fairing on a motorcycle keeps the bugs from whacking one in
the mouth, a leather apron keeps those pesky wood chips at bay.

Dave
DonkeyHody

Thanks Dave, that's just the sort of suggestion I was looking for.

DonkeyHody

Leon

"David" wrote in message
Another thread asked what's a good gift to ask for that's about $50. Last
year my wife splurged on a leather woodworking apron for me. It wasn't
something I'd ever thought about, but after trying it on, I'm never
without it when I'm in the shop. It keeps the irritating bits of sawdust
off my clothes. I think the one she bought was just shy of $200 with
shipping and tax, so it ain't cheap, but now that I have it I wouldn't be
without it.

Just like a fairing on a motorcycle keeps the bugs from whacking one in
the mouth, a leather apron keeps those pesky wood chips at bay.

Great Idea but Harbor freight lets you have 6 leather aprons with 4 pockets
for under $50.

David

DonkeyHody wrote:

Thanks Dave, that's just the sort of suggestion I was looking for.

DonkeyHody

Cool. If you never wore a leather apron in the shop, you'll be in for a
suprise as to how clean your clothes will remain if you get a well
fitted apron. Mine cost a lot because my wife bought one to fit a tall
guy. Had I seen the price ahead of time, I'd have nixed the purchase.
There's got to be cheaper ones out there.

she got it at woodworker academy, alameda, Ca.

http://www.woodworkeracademy.com/Sho...waproncat.html

Dave
David

David wrote:

DonkeyHody wrote:

Thanks Dave, that's just the sort of suggestion I was looking for.

DonkeyHody

Cool. If you never wore a leather apron in the shop, you'll be in for a
suprise as to how clean your clothes will remain if you get a well
fitted apron. Mine cost a lot because my wife bought one to fit a tall
guy. Had I seen the price ahead of time, I'd have nixed the purchase.
There's got to be cheaper ones out there.

she got it at woodworker academy, alameda, Ca.

http://www.woodworkeracademy.com/Sho...waproncat.html

Dave

the pictured apron looks orange!

Mine is dark brown.

Dave

Leon

"David" wrote in message
DonkeyHody wrote:

Thanks Dave, that's just the sort of suggestion I was looking for.

DonkeyHody

Cool. If you never wore a leather apron in the shop, you'll be in for a
suprise as to how clean your clothes will remain if you get a well fitted
apron. Mine cost a lot because my wife bought one to fit a tall guy. Had
I seen the price ahead of time, I'd have nixed the purchase. There's got
to be cheaper ones out there.

I used to use a denim apron with pockets and found that the pockets filled
up with saw dust. Perhaps it is because the cloth relaxes and the pockets
stay open. How does the leather do in that category?

David

Leon wrote:

"David" wrote in message

DonkeyHody wrote:

Thanks Dave, that's just the sort of suggestion I was looking for.

DonkeyHody

Cool. If you never wore a leather apron in the shop, you'll be in for a
suprise as to how clean your clothes will remain if you get a well fitted
apron. Mine cost a lot because my wife bought one to fit a tall guy. Had
I seen the price ahead of time, I'd have nixed the purchase. There's got
to be cheaper ones out there.

I used to use a denim apron with pockets and found that the pockets filled
up with saw dust. Perhaps it is because the cloth relaxes and the pockets
stay open. How does the leather do in that category?

all the leather pockets have flaps over them. very cool!

Dave
Dan

On Tue 08 Nov 2005 08:58:07p, "Leon"
wrote in et:

I used to use a denim apron with pockets and found that the pockets
filled up with saw dust. Perhaps it is because the cloth relaxes and
the pockets stay open. How does the leather do in that category?

I use Duluth's apron
http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/...lts/83490.aspx
and the pockets get sawdust in em and I throw a handful out every now and
then, and it doesn't bother me much. Kind of like "Gee, look at all that
sawdust that somebody would be complaining about because I didn't brush off
well enough, if I wasn't wearing this here apron." The tools still stay in
the pockets. :-)

I like that one because it holds the tape measure, square, and saddle where
I can get to 'em easy and it fits good. Plus extra pockets for an apron
plane, twelve inch rule, and a place for the safety glasses when I take a
break. I think I'm going to get mad one day and put those plastic quicklock
connectors on it instead of tieing it up, but that's the only thing I'd
change.

I like an apron because it holds stuff. The wife likes it because it keeps
the sawdust in the shop. Unless I forget I've got it on and go inside to
get something. :-)
David

wrote in et:

[...]

I've given up putting pencils in my apron. I keep getting stabbed. My
favorite tape is too large to comfortably fit in a pocket, so
basically I don't put much of anything in my apron.

Dave
Leon

"David" wrote in message
. ..

all the leather pockets have flaps over them. very cool!

Yeah that would be cool. I would probably prefer no pockets as I do not
care for them at all.

David

Leon wrote:

"David" wrote in message
. ..

all the leather pockets have flaps over them. very cool!

Yeah that would be cool. I would probably prefer no pockets as I do not
care for them at all.

I think you could order it without pockets.

Dave
B a r r y

David wrote:
Another thread asked what's a good gift to ask for that's about $50.
Last year my wife splurged on a leather woodworking apron for me.

Did she ask you to wear just the apron? G
Robatoy

In article , David
wrote:

Another thread asked what's a good gift to ask for that's about $50.
Last year my wife splurged on a leather woodworking apron for me. It
wasn't something I'd ever thought about, but after trying it on, I'm
never without it when I'm in the shop. It keeps the irritating bits of
sawdust off my clothes. I think the one she bought was just shy of $200
with shipping and tax, so it ain't cheap, but now that I have it I
wouldn't be without it.

Just like a fairing on a motorcycle keeps the bugs from whacking one in
the mouth, a leather apron keeps those pesky wood chips at bay.

Dave

I have mentioned here before, that a decent leather apron is a safety device.
I will never spin (hand-held in a big router) a 3/4" full-bullnose bit without
that protection. I use those bits a LOT in solid surface fabrication.
If one of those ever breaks, the height of trajectory of flying metal is right
where I think it would change my voice an octave or two.
It also allows me to do a quick glue-up without worrying about getting any
adhesive on my SpeedO's.
Leon

"Robatoy" wrote in message
I have mentioned here before, that a decent leather apron is a safety
device.
I will never spin (hand-held in a big router) a 3/4" full-bullnose bit
without
that protection. I use those bits a LOT in solid surface fabrication.
If one of those ever breaks, the height of trajectory of flying metal is
right
where I think it would change my voice an octave or two.
It also allows me to do a quick glue-up without worrying about getting any
adhesive on my SpeedO's.

Keep this in mind also. Do not assume that the leather will stop a sharp
chunk of anything. While I agree that leather is better than cloth I
conducted an experiment a few years ago that confirmed my suspicions. The
topic of whether it dangerous to wear gloves while operating a TS came up.
The thought was that the glove would snag on the blade and pull your hand
in. I pushed my combination cloth and leather work glove in to my saw blade
with a stick. The glove held its shape as the blade simply cut through the
cloth and leather with absolutely no resistance nor did the glove snag and
get pulled in. The glove simply sat on the TS with the blade spinning
inside the cut after I stopped pushing.
I do not doubt that a broken piece of carbide would easily penetrate a
leather apron given the right circumstances.

Now for the comment about your SpeedO's, umm the visual really scared me.

Mike Berger

There are certainly cheaper ones, but there's an enormous
difference in grades of leather. Good leather holds up
very well and lasts a long time.

David wrote:

Cool. If you never wore a leather apron in the shop, you'll be in for a
suprise as to how clean your clothes will remain if you get a well
fitted apron. Mine cost a lot because my wife bought one to fit a tall
guy. Had I seen the price ahead of time, I'd have nixed the purchase.
There's got to be cheaper ones out there.

mac davis

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 14:19:13 GMT, "Leon" wrote:

I do not doubt that a broken piece of carbide would easily penetrate a
leather apron given the right circumstances.

Now for the comment about your SpeedO's, umm the visual really scared me.

I was kind of wondering if the octave change would be up or down.. (did I really
say that out loud?)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Leon

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
You need one of these:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...413,45989&ap=1
or
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...413,45989&ap=1

Yeah I do need one of those. Although the leather does not have the flap on
the pockets, they look tight enough to stay shut. IMHO the cloth tends to
attract saw dust that falls off the minute I walk in the house. I wonder if
the leather is the smooth side out?

David

Leon wrote:

"Pat Barber" wrote in message

You need one of these:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...413,45989&ap=1
or
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...413,45989&ap=1

Yeah I do need one of those. Although the leather does not have the flap on
the pockets, they look tight enough to stay shut. IMHO the cloth tends to
attract saw dust that falls off the minute I walk in the house. I wonder if
the leather is the smooth side out?

the one I have, it's smooth side on the outside. as nice a leather as
you'll find.

Dave
J T

It is a bit disturbing to me that a bunch of men are doing all this
discussing of aprons.

JOAT
If it ain't broke, don't lend it.
- Red Green

Robatoy

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

Now for the comment about your SpeedO's, umm the visual really scared me.

Aw, come on... the visual ain't that bad... there's so much flab and
skin hanging all over the SpeedO's, you can hardly see them.

....how's THAT for a visual, huh? Huh?....
rmc

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 18:24:07 -0500, Robatoy wrote:

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

Now for the comment about your SpeedO's, umm the visual really scared
me.

Aw, come on... the visual ain't that bad... there's so much flab and skin
hanging all over the SpeedO's, you can hardly see them.

...how's THAT for a visual, huh? Huh?....

After gaging on my scotch, and no it wasn't a bad ice cube. I thought
maybe you should think about getting a meat cutters chain mail type apron???

Leon

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

Now for the comment about your SpeedO's, umm the visual really scared
me.

Aw, come on... the visual ain't that bad... there's so much flab and
skin hanging all over the SpeedO's, you can hardly see them.

...how's THAT for a visual, huh? Huh?....

You nothing but a big tease... :~)

Robatoy

"Leon" wrote:

Now for the comment about your SpeedO's, umm the visual really scared
me.

Aw, come on... the visual ain't that bad... there's so much flab and skin
hanging all over the SpeedO's, you can hardly see them.

...how's THAT for a visual, huh? Huh?....

After gaging on my scotch, and no it wasn't a bad ice cube. I thought
maybe you should think about getting a meat cutters chain mail type apron???

Ohhh, the aesthetic! A chain mail apron, SpeedO's, rubber boots, and a
pith helmet! That look just has me screaming for accessories! A
chrome/white or a black iPod?

All drssed up...

Ready to go WENCH-HUNTING!
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 04:20:59 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Leon"
quickly quoth:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

Now for the comment about your SpeedO's, umm the visual really scared
me.

Aw, come on... the visual ain't that bad... there's so much flab and
skin hanging all over the SpeedO's, you can hardly see them.

...how's THAT for a visual, huh? Huh?....

You nothing but a big tease... :~)

Uh, guys. Could you please take this to the proper newsgroup, please?
Maybe try something like alt.fat.gay.north-american.men, eh?

Like peace and quiet? Buy a phoneless cord.
http://www/diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online

mac davis

"Leon" wrote:

Now for the comment about your SpeedO's, umm the visual really scared me.

Aw, come on... the visual ain't that bad... there's so much flab and
skin hanging all over the SpeedO's, you can hardly see them.

...how's THAT for a visual, huh? Huh?....

makes me REALLY glad that I didn't eat breakfast before reading that...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 08:56:32 -0500, Robatoy wrote:

"Leon" wrote:

Now for the comment about your SpeedO's, umm the visual really scared
me.

Aw, come on... the visual ain't that bad... there's so much flab and skin
hanging all over the SpeedO's, you can hardly see them.

...how's THAT for a visual, huh? Huh?....

After gaging on my scotch, and no it wasn't a bad ice cube. I thought
maybe you should think about getting a meat cutters chain mail type apron???

Ohhh, the aesthetic! A chain mail apron, SpeedO's, rubber boots, and a
pith helmet! That look just has me screaming for accessories! A
chrome/white or a black iPod?

All drssed up...

Ready to go WENCH-HUNTING!

add a chain mail jock strap and find a goth party?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Robatoy

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

[snip]
makes me REALLY glad that I didn't eat breakfast before reading that...

My job is done...G