Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Is this compressor worth anything?

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 16:26:40 -0800,
wrote:

Jon Elson wrote:
On 11/21/2011 11:10 PM, Winston wrote:
Bill wrote:

(...)

actually, if you put a 1/4 HP motor on it (with proper reduction) you
would have a much better compressor than one of those buzzy little
things - in fact a old "free' washing machine motor will run it just
fine, just well below capacity - that will be a very efficient
(thermodynamically) compressor

Quiet, too.

--Winston

Curiously, my Quincy got QUIETER when I upped the motor. It came with
a continuously-on motor and pneumatic unloader, and a 1 Hp motor. The
pulleys were set for something like 450 RPM.
I got a 2 Hp motor and changed the motor pulley to get 915 RPM and
rigged controller to use both unload and motor start/stop as the demand
required. The surprise is the compressor was quiter at 900 RPM than 450.
My guess is the intake valves were pulsating at 450 but go full
open at 900.

'Could also be a 'resonance' thing.

It probably depends on the preferred RPM of the compressor in
question, too. I'm sure Jon checked that out before upping it.

P.S: Did you see me wave on Monday when I got to NorCal? I was looking
your direction from me Mum's in Vallejo. I had a nicebuuuuuuuuurp
Tanksgivin wit fambly.

That was you?

SWMBO screamed "Wave back, you moron! That's Brad Pitt!"

--Winston