Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus12217 Ignoramus12217 is offline

Default Is this compressor worth anything?

congrats!

On 2011-12-06, Tim Wescott wrote:

On 2011-12-06, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 00:51:27 -0600, Tim Wescott wrote:

More accurately: would it be worth anything if it's not broken,
worn out, or otherwise trashed, and how likely is it to have
problems that won't show up immediately?

Nameplate says "Emerson". I'd be using it mostly for filling tires
and painting model airplanes.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/tls/2700954509.html

Update:

When I bought it I made sure that it got plugged in and came up to
pressure. What I _didn't_ do was bleed off some air and make sure
it started again -- which it doesn't. It tries, but the thing don't
turn. I thought "this thing needs a blow-down". Then I heard the
slow leak from the compressor head, deduced the existence of a check
valve, and found the check valve. Presumably it just needs to be
're-checked'.

Oh well.

If it runs and pumps, the rest is fixable.

(If it did not run, it could be fixable also, just not a given) i

Yup. It looks like the check valve is even made to be maintained, so
I may be able to fix it without either total disassembly or buying
replacement parts -- this is a good thing, because the compressor
purchase has inspired purchase of spray guns, hoses, etc. -- I just
need a regulator and to clean up the nice used guns I bought, and I'm
ready to paint.

I do not think that it is the check valve that is the culprit.

On disassembly, the check valve revealed a nice little spring, a nicely
polished seat where the ball goes -- and no ball.

Methinks it's the check valve...

... and with a ball _in_ the check valve, it works just fine, even though
it keeps leaking from the compressor head (the ball came from a toy, so
while it's steel and shiny, it's probably far -- or far enough -- from
being a perfectly round ball bearing).