Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can I saw some grade-2 nuts in a bandsaw?

-Like,,, without greatly hurting the blade?

I need some half-height 3/4x10 nuts. A regular nut sliced in half would
be just about perfect, but I dunno if it would ruin a bandsaw blade or
not (dry blade, no coolant). I also have an angle grinder w/cutoff
wheels, but the bandsaw would be somewhat of a more-controllable cut to do.

I also have some scrap metal and a 3/4-10 tap, but I have no method for
ensuring the tap enters perpendicular, and I need the nuts to sit flat.
I am guessing that the already-made nuts are straighter than what I
could manage to do...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DougC wrote:
-Like,,, without greatly hurting the blade?

I need some half-height 3/4x10 nuts. A regular nut sliced in half
would be just about perfect, but I dunno if it would ruin a bandsaw blade
or
not (dry blade, no coolant). I also have an angle grinder w/cutoff
wheels, but the bandsaw would be somewhat of a more-controllable cut
to do.
I also have some scrap metal and a 3/4-10 tap, but I have no method
for ensuring the tap enters perpendicular, and I need the nuts to sit
flat. I am guessing that the already-made nuts are straighter than what I
could manage to do...

It'll work , a lot depends on how you plan on holding the nuts ... I know I
ain't gettin' MY fingers that close to the blade !

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:
DougC wrote:
[...]

I guess I shoulda added "assuming the bandsaw is designed to cut metal" .
If not , you're better off with a hacksaw .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DougC wrote:
-Like,,, without greatly hurting the blade?

I need some half-height 3/4x10 nuts. A regular nut sliced in half would
be just about perfect, but I dunno if it would ruin a bandsaw blade or
not (dry blade, no coolant). I also have an angle grinder w/cutoff
wheels, but the bandsaw would be somewhat of a more-controllable cut to do.

I also have some scrap metal and a 3/4-10 tap, but I have no method for
ensuring the tap enters perpendicular, and I need the nuts to sit flat.
I am guessing that the already-made nuts are straighter than what I
could manage to do...

What you need is called a jam nut.

http://www.portlandbolt.com/products..._jam_nuts.html

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DougC" wrote in message
-Like,,, without greatly hurting the blade?

I need some half-height 3/4x10 nuts. A regular nut sliced in half would be
just about perfect, but I dunno if it would ruin a bandsaw blade or not
(dry blade, no coolant). I also have an angle grinder w/cutoff wheels, but
the bandsaw would be somewhat of a more-controllable cut to do.

I also have some scrap metal and a 3/4-10 tap, but I have no method for
ensuring the tap enters perpendicular...

Do you have a drill press? If so, several people can tell you how to do
it -- even me. g

, and I need the nuts to sit flat. I am guessing that the already-made nuts
are straighter than what I could manage to do...

I have a question here about nut and bolt grades. A lot of folks seem to
know their fasteners, so my question is this: When you talk about "Grade 2,"
are you talking about SAE Grade 2 or ASTM Grade 2? The yield strength of a
SAE Grade 2 bolt runs from about 40,000 psi to 60,000 psi, depending on
diameter. Proof stress is about the same. That's means a soft bolt. An ASTM
Grade 2 *nut* runs three times higher -- medium-high strength.

I'm not aware of an SAE grade for nuts, but I assume there is one. And I'm
not aware of an ASTM bolt grade comparable to their *nut* Grade 2. In terms
of strength, though, that would be ASTM Grade B.

There are people I could call about this on Monday. But does anyone have a
Sunday answer?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"DougC" wrote in message
-Like,,, without greatly hurting the blade?

I need some half-height 3/4x10 nuts. A regular nut sliced in half would
be just about perfect, but I dunno if it would ruin a bandsaw blade or
not (dry blade, no coolant). I also have an angle grinder w/cutoff
wheels, but the bandsaw would be somewhat of a more-controllable cut to
do.

These bandsaws cut steel fine with blades rated for it at a blade speed of
around 100 feet per minute. http://cdn2.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg288/g/g0622.jpg
At that speed you can just about see the individual teeth. Woodworking blade
speed is a good 10 times faster and will burn the tooth tips off instantly.

I also have some scrap metal and a 3/4-10 tap, but I have no method for
ensuring the tap enters perpendicular...

Sure you do. Run a nut onto the tap first, then sandwich another plate (or
big washer) with a clearance hole, the tap & nut, and the piece to be tapped
together with clamps.

I have a question here about nut and bolt grades. A lot of folks seem to
know their fasteners, so my question is this: When you talk about "Grade
2," are you talking about SAE Grade 2 or ASTM Grade 2? ...
--
Ed Huntress

I mean hardware-store Grade 2, the generic unknown-strength ones you can buy
on Sunday afternoon to fix your riding mower. If I care at all about the
strength I'll use Grade 5, or metric 8.8.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DT DT is offline

In article ,
says...

I need some half-height 3/4x10 nuts.

Sears hardware stocks thin nuts. I'm not sure if they go up to 3/4", but
they do have graded bolts that large.

--
DT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DougC wrote:

-Like,,, without greatly hurting the blade?

I need some half-height 3/4x10 nuts. A regular nut sliced in half would
be just about perfect, but I dunno if it would ruin a bandsaw blade or
not (dry blade, no coolant). I also have an angle grinder w/cutoff
wheels, but the bandsaw would be somewhat of a more-controllable cut to
do.

I also have some scrap metal and a 3/4-10 tap, but I have no method for
ensuring the tap enters perpendicular, and I need the nuts to sit flat.
I am guessing that the already-made nuts are straighter than what I
could manage to do...

Can you ask your parts guy if he has any "jam nuts?" (they're hex nuts,
but only about half as thick.)

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 08:46:46 -0500, DougC
wrote:

-Like,,, without greatly hurting the blade?

I need some half-height 3/4x10 nuts. A regular nut sliced in half would
be just about perfect, but I dunno if it would ruin a bandsaw blade or
not (dry blade, no coolant). I also have an angle grinder w/cutoff
wheels, but the bandsaw would be somewhat of a more-controllable cut to do.

I also have some scrap metal and a 3/4-10 tap, but I have no method for
ensuring the tap enters perpendicular, and I need the nuts to sit flat.
I am guessing that the already-made nuts are straighter than what I
could manage to do...

No mill eh?

Clamp it in a good vise and grind it down with the angle grinder till
its flat with the top of the vise. Then start a bolt into it from the
unground side.

Cutting them with a hacksaw is intirely possible. It just takes a
while. Then you will have to grind them flat cause one seldom ever gets
a square cut with a hacksaw.

Gunner

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 4, 7:46*am, DougC wrote:
-Like,,, without greatly hurting the blade?

I need some half-height 3/4x10 nuts. A regular nut sliced in half would
be just about perfect, but I dunno if it would ruin a bandsaw blade or
not (dry blade, no coolant). I also have an angle grinder w/cutoff
wheels, but the bandsaw would be somewhat of a more-controllable cut to do.

I also have some scrap metal and a 3/4-10 tap, but I have no method for
ensuring the tap enters perpendicular, and I need the nuts to sit flat.
I am guessing that the already-made nuts are straighter than what I
could manage to do...

If you're in the boondocks, you could do it that way. Most halfway
decent hardwares will have jam nuts or check nuts, which is what
you're looking for. I've even seen them in some Lowe's in the over-
priced hardware section with the drawers. See if there's a Fastenal
around, too.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/4/2011 3:52 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

No mill eh?

Clamp it in a good vise and grind it down with the angle grinder till
its flat with the top of the vise. Then start a bolt into it from the
unground side.

Cutting them with a hacksaw is intirely possible. It just takes a
while. Then you will have to grind them flat cause one seldom ever gets
a square cut with a hacksaw.

I do have a mill and could just cut two of them down--but I only need
two nuts, each with one face perpendicular. If I saw one nut in half
thicnkess-wise I'd get that. The sawed faces being rough won't matter.

The bandsaw is a metal-cutting one.

The local hardware places I checked have jam nuts but only up to 1/2". I
didn't want to mail-order it (part=$1, shipping=$5).

There is a sears hardware store right down the road a bit, but I was not
aware they sold nuts & bolts at all. I will have to get by and look.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 4, 7:00*pm, DougC wrote:
[...]

if we're only talking a couple of pieces, thread them onto bolts and
then cut through the net and bolt. Unscrew the bolt and you'll have a
clean-threaded nut. you may want to touch the cut end of the nut with
a countrsink.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

-Like,,, without greatly hurting the blade?

I need some half-height 3/4x10 nuts. A regular nut sliced in half would
be just about perfect, but I dunno if it would ruin a bandsaw blade or
not (dry blade, no coolant). I also have an angle grinder w/cutoff
wheels, but the bandsaw would be somewhat of a more-controllable cut to do.

I also have some scrap metal and a 3/4-10 tap, but I have no method for
ensuring the tap enters perpendicular, and I need the nuts to sit flat.
I am guessing that the already-made nuts are straighter than what I
could manage to do...

============
do a google search on "jam nut" 3/4 10 OR coarse for 477k
hits

a few of the top hits were
http://www.amazon.com/4-10-Jam-Nut-1.../dp/B000NC5Q2W
http://www.nutsandbolts.com/3410-nyl...-1-p-2386.html
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ex?sku=1170817
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...1136216&ucst=t
http://www.nutsandbolts.com/3410-jam...-1-p-2339.html
http://www.nutty.com/jamnut.shtml

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-04, DougC wrote:
-Like,,, without greatly hurting the blade?

How does it respond to a file?

I need some half-height 3/4x10 nuts. A regular nut sliced in half would
be just about perfect,

What about with the kerf from your bandsaw blade taken out.
Would they still be good? Or would you only get one usable nut out of
it?

And how do you plan to hold these while you cut them?

but I dunno if it would ruin a bandsaw blade or
not (dry blade, no coolant).

I would at least use the dry wax lube, and run the blade slow.
Better the high sulfur oil used for threading pipes.

I also have an angle grinder w/cutoff
wheels, but the bandsaw would be somewhat of a more-controllable cut to do.

What about a milling machine? With a parallel to hold the nuts
just the right height -- part above the jaws, part below, and the
direction of cut to force a side of the nut into the fixed jaw.

Or -- with a home-made arbor in a lathe -- threaded right for
the nut, with a shoulder, so you could turn off the needed height -- and
even bevel the corners a bit so they are not nasty to work with.

I also have some scrap metal and a 3/4-10 tap, but I have no method for
ensuring the tap enters perpendicular, and I need the nuts to sit flat.

Do you have a drill press? If so -- drill the holes first for
all of them in the sheet, then replace the bit with a 60 degree center,
lower it to center the hole again, raise it, put the tap between the
hole and the center (a 3/4" tap should have a female center in the shank
end, so you can use the center reaching through the tap wrench to hold
the tap vertical, while you start it into the hole.

I am guessing that the already-made nuts are straighter than what I
could manage to do...

Then again -- what about "jam nuts". MSC has them in case
hardened steel, black oxide finish for $1.24 each, and a minimum order
of 5. They've got 393 in stock at the moment according to their web
page. They are 27/64" heigh, to compare with your needs. (That is
0.422" height, compared to a standard one at 0.640" height.) The jam
nut gives you 4.22 complete threads (minus whatever internal beveling
may take away. I don't think that you really want much less for
strength.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 18:00:37 -0500, DougC
wrote:

On 9/4/2011 3:52 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

No mill eh?

Clamp it in a good vise and grind it down with the angle grinder till
its flat with the top of the vise. Then start a bolt into it from the
unground side.

Cutting them with a hacksaw is intirely possible. It just takes a
while. Then you will have to grind them flat cause one seldom ever gets
a square cut with a hacksaw.

I do have a mill and could just cut two of them down--but I only need
two nuts, each with one face perpendicular. If I saw one nut in half
thicnkess-wise I'd get that. The sawed faces being rough won't matter.

Trust me...if you have two nuts...stick em in the vise and mill them
down. It will be a hell of a lot easier than bandsawing
them...seriously.

Gunner