Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can I saw some grade-2 nuts in a bandsaw?

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"DougC" wrote in message
-Like,,, without greatly hurting the blade?

I need some half-height 3/4x10 nuts. A regular nut sliced in half would
be just about perfect, but I dunno if it would ruin a bandsaw blade or
not (dry blade, no coolant). I also have an angle grinder w/cutoff
wheels, but the bandsaw would be somewhat of a more-controllable cut to
do.

These bandsaws cut steel fine with blades rated for it at a blade speed of
around 100 feet per minute. http://cdn2.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg288/g/g0622.jpg
At that speed you can just about see the individual teeth. Woodworking blade
speed is a good 10 times faster and will burn the tooth tips off instantly.

I also have some scrap metal and a 3/4-10 tap, but I have no method for
ensuring the tap enters perpendicular...

Sure you do. Run a nut onto the tap first, then sandwich another plate (or
big washer) with a clearance hole, the tap & nut, and the piece to be tapped
together with clamps.

I have a question here about nut and bolt grades. A lot of folks seem to
know their fasteners, so my question is this: When you talk about "Grade
2," are you talking about SAE Grade 2 or ASTM Grade 2? ...
--
Ed Huntress

I mean hardware-store Grade 2, the generic unknown-strength ones you can buy
on Sunday afternoon to fix your riding mower. If I care at all about the
strength I'll use Grade 5, or metric 8.8.

jsw