Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Can I saw some grade-2 nuts in a bandsaw?

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 08:46:46 -0500, DougC
wrote:

-Like,,, without greatly hurting the blade?

I need some half-height 3/4x10 nuts. A regular nut sliced in half would
be just about perfect, but I dunno if it would ruin a bandsaw blade or
not (dry blade, no coolant). I also have an angle grinder w/cutoff
wheels, but the bandsaw would be somewhat of a more-controllable cut to do.

I also have some scrap metal and a 3/4-10 tap, but I have no method for
ensuring the tap enters perpendicular, and I need the nuts to sit flat.
I am guessing that the already-made nuts are straighter than what I
could manage to do...

============
do a google search on "jam nut" 3/4 10 OR coarse for 477k
hits

a few of the top hits were
http://www.amazon.com/4-10-Jam-Nut-1.../dp/B000NC5Q2W
http://www.nutsandbolts.com/3410-nyl...-1-p-2386.html
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ex?sku=1170817
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...1136216&ucst=t
http://www.nutsandbolts.com/3410-jam...-1-p-2339.html
http://www.nutty.com/jamnut.shtml

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"