Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Hy-Grade Hy Grade Steel Roofing Roof Company W A R N I N G

Recently had a steel roof installed by Hy-Grade Steel Roofing Systems
Company based in Guelph Ontario, and would like to send a few words of
caution to all who are considering hiring Hy-Grade.

From the first estimator's visit we made it clear we wanted better

ventilation for our attic and asked for ridge ventilation. Estimator /
Salesman agreed to do this for free as "it is only a matter of a few
cuts while the guys are up on the roof."

We made sure that this was clearly written into the contract, and it
reads: "cut ridge vent in addition to existing 2 vents".

FF to the day the installers come.

We re-enforced to the head guy of the 3 person team that we want ridge
vents cut to help with venting the attic. The guy acts surprised to
hear that we want the ridge vents so we pull out the contract to show.

When the top portion of the steel roof is on the roof we ask the guy:
"did you remember to cut the ridge vents?" The guy replied (and I
kid you not) "no, but we will install ridge steel shakes because most
people want the ridge vent for decoration only."

For those of you who do not have a steel roof: Steel roof is installed
on top of you existing shingles. Wooded grid is built and onto it are
installed the metal shakes. The steel vents installed vent only the air
trapped between the steel roof and the shingles of your existing roof.
Nothing to do with venting of the attic.

The result: No cut was made in the roof to provide attic ventilation.

We re-enforced again: "We are not those people. We want actual, real,
working ridge vents cut in the roof."

Reluctantly the guy agreed to cut ridge vents.

Once the new roof is up, we ask: "Did you cut the ridge vents?"

Answer: "Yes, I cut the ridge vents."

Something in the guy's shifty ayes wasn't quite right, so next
morning we go up into the attic to see what it looks like.

Guess what? Nothing has been cut in the roof. No ridge ventilation!

We get on the phone to estimator / salesman who promised to find out
what happened.

His first reply: "Your existing 2 small vents are adequate enough."

"Not good enough" we reply, "because they don't vent fast
enough in the summer."

Estimator says he will have a word with the installer.

We get a second message: "the ridge vents were cut only we can't
see them."

This treatment of lies finally becomes too tiring so we log on to the
Better Business website. Guess what? A tonne of contractual disputes
are registered with BB against Hy-Grade roofing, half of them
unresolved.

I am posting this for potential customer to be wary of the Hy-Grade
Roofing Company of Guelph Ontario.

To Hy-Grade: If you want me to remove this and more such messages, you
must live up to the contract - CUT MY RIDGE VENTS!!