Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Can I saw some grade-2 nuts in a bandsaw?

"DougC" wrote in message
-Like,,, without greatly hurting the blade?

I need some half-height 3/4x10 nuts. A regular nut sliced in half would be
just about perfect, but I dunno if it would ruin a bandsaw blade or not
(dry blade, no coolant). I also have an angle grinder w/cutoff wheels, but
the bandsaw would be somewhat of a more-controllable cut to do.

I also have some scrap metal and a 3/4-10 tap, but I have no method for
ensuring the tap enters perpendicular...

Do you have a drill press? If so, several people can tell you how to do
it -- even me. g

, and I need the nuts to sit flat. I am guessing that the already-made nuts
are straighter than what I could manage to do...

I have a question here about nut and bolt grades. A lot of folks seem to
know their fasteners, so my question is this: When you talk about "Grade 2,"
are you talking about SAE Grade 2 or ASTM Grade 2? The yield strength of a
SAE Grade 2 bolt runs from about 40,000 psi to 60,000 psi, depending on
diameter. Proof stress is about the same. That's means a soft bolt. An ASTM
Grade 2 *nut* runs three times higher -- medium-high strength.

I'm not aware of an SAE grade for nuts, but I assume there is one. And I'm
not aware of an ASTM bolt grade comparable to their *nut* Grade 2. In terms
of strength, though, that would be ASTM Grade B.

There are people I could call about this on Monday. But does anyone have a
Sunday answer?

--
Ed Huntress