Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Can I saw some grade-2 nuts in a bandsaw?

DougC wrote:
-Like,,, without greatly hurting the blade?

I need some half-height 3/4x10 nuts. A regular nut sliced in half would
be just about perfect, but I dunno if it would ruin a bandsaw blade or
not (dry blade, no coolant). I also have an angle grinder w/cutoff
wheels, but the bandsaw would be somewhat of a more-controllable cut to do.

I also have some scrap metal and a 3/4-10 tap, but I have no method for
ensuring the tap enters perpendicular, and I need the nuts to sit flat.
I am guessing that the already-made nuts are straighter than what I
could manage to do...

What you need is called a jam nut.

http://www.portlandbolt.com/products..._jam_nuts.html

John