Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can I saw some grade-2 nuts in a bandsaw?

On 2011-09-04, DougC wrote:
-Like,,, without greatly hurting the blade?

How does it respond to a file?

I need some half-height 3/4x10 nuts. A regular nut sliced in half would
be just about perfect,

What about with the kerf from your bandsaw blade taken out.
Would they still be good? Or would you only get one usable nut out of
it?

And how do you plan to hold these while you cut them?

but I dunno if it would ruin a bandsaw blade or
not (dry blade, no coolant).

I would at least use the dry wax lube, and run the blade slow.
Better the high sulfur oil used for threading pipes.

I also have an angle grinder w/cutoff
wheels, but the bandsaw would be somewhat of a more-controllable cut to do.

What about a milling machine? With a parallel to hold the nuts
just the right height -- part above the jaws, part below, and the
direction of cut to force a side of the nut into the fixed jaw.

Or -- with a home-made arbor in a lathe -- threaded right for
the nut, with a shoulder, so you could turn off the needed height -- and
even bevel the corners a bit so they are not nasty to work with.

I also have some scrap metal and a 3/4-10 tap, but I have no method for
ensuring the tap enters perpendicular, and I need the nuts to sit flat.

Do you have a drill press? If so -- drill the holes first for
all of them in the sheet, then replace the bit with a 60 degree center,
lower it to center the hole again, raise it, put the tap between the
hole and the center (a 3/4" tap should have a female center in the shank
end, so you can use the center reaching through the tap wrench to hold
the tap vertical, while you start it into the hole.

I am guessing that the already-made nuts are straighter than what I
could manage to do...

Then again -- what about "jam nuts". MSC has them in case
hardened steel, black oxide finish for $1.24 each, and a minimum order
of 5. They've got 393 in stock at the moment according to their web
page. They are 27/64" heigh, to compare with your needs. (That is
0.422" height, compared to a standard one at 0.640" height.) The jam
nut gives you 4.22 complete threads (minus whatever internal beveling
may take away. I don't think that you really want much less for
strength.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564