Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Can I saw some grade-2 nuts in a bandsaw?

On Sep 4, 7:46*am, DougC wrote:
-Like,,, without greatly hurting the blade?

I need some half-height 3/4x10 nuts. A regular nut sliced in half would
be just about perfect, but I dunno if it would ruin a bandsaw blade or
not (dry blade, no coolant). I also have an angle grinder w/cutoff
wheels, but the bandsaw would be somewhat of a more-controllable cut to do.

I also have some scrap metal and a 3/4-10 tap, but I have no method for
ensuring the tap enters perpendicular, and I need the nuts to sit flat.
I am guessing that the already-made nuts are straighter than what I
could manage to do...

If you're in the boondocks, you could do it that way. Most halfway
decent hardwares will have jam nuts or check nuts, which is what
you're looking for. I've even seen them in some Lowe's in the over-
priced hardware section with the drawers. See if there's a Fastenal
around, too.

Stan