Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default One dem days ...........

Sipping coffee at 0530 waiting for my Big Bubba helper. Very reliable. He
calls and is down with the crud. Damn.

So, I go out, and finish welding the second 32' joist out of 1.5" square
..065" tube. Tapers from 36" to 12". Has twelve braces.

I manage to horse this thing up there, working by myself on top of two
containers, up and down the ladders, clamping this, tying that, trying to
figure it so I don't have any crashes. No crashes, no slips, nothing
broken, no mashed fingers, just good old sore muscles. Not bad for an old
fart with a bad heart, a broken back, bad knees, failing hips, and two
shoulder surgeries.

Well, I got it up there, got it stood up, got it lashed. Some adjusting,
then take it back down and use it as a template, having all the pieces cut
out.

It sure kicked my butt. Went into the house, took a shower, then just slept
in the LaZBoy for a few hours.

Hope Aaron is feeling good tomorrow. I really wanted to get this done
before hot weather, but HoneyDew's sod trumped this hand...........

More photos as they develop, no pun intended.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default One dem days ........... oops, photo link ...........

"Steve B" wrote

Hope Aaron is feeling good tomorrow. I really wanted to get this done
before hot weather, but HoneyDew's sod trumped this hand...........

More photos as they develop, no pun intended.

Steve

Bubba just called. Sick again, going to the doctor, suspects strep. Damn.

Here's a link to pictures that show a little of my side of this planet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 05:00:02 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote

Hope Aaron is feeling good tomorrow. I really wanted to get this done
before hot weather, but HoneyDew's sod trumped this hand...........

More photos as they develop, no pun intended.

Steve

Bubba just called. Sick again, going to the doctor, suspects strep. Damn.

Here's a link to pictures that show a little of my side of this planet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Steve

Aridzona?

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 05:00:02 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote

Hope Aaron is feeling good tomorrow. I really wanted to get this done
before hot weather, but HoneyDew's sod trumped this hand...........

More photos as they develop, no pun intended.

Steve

Bubba just called. Sick again, going to the doctor, suspects strep. Damn.

Here's a link to pictures that show a little of my side of this planet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Steve

That's wild, getting around local laws, temporary structure?

Soon those days will be over. Like the wife pointed out the other day
that the ceiling is starting to crack at the peek, they made me use
'certified' trusses. Just knew I should have beefed them up.

Having a bit of trouble seeing the whole plan. There will be lots of
storage room on the top of the containers? How many trusses? Not like
ya have a snow load.

Bald eagle ! Is it lost? Never mind, I'm still in awe when I see Sea
Gulls in Nevada, Utah, & up here. I just assumed they had to have salt
water. Like whole parking lots full of them in L. V. NV..?

Last Saturday I went down to the river thinking few people would be
camping when it is so hot (for the north), but it was packed. Except
one bug haven site, so I'm walking down the path close to the water
and see a fish skull. A couple more steps and I'm maybe 5 feet from
the water and I hear the tree above me creek and a huge bald eagle
directly zenith is raising its wings for the first (stroke?) and it
was completely silent until the first push of its wings which where
maybe a foot further on each side of the length of my out stretched
arms. I watched it fly away and I looked down for my next step and the
grass was all white from bird ****. Gave me that freaky feeling like
the Predator movie with Arney.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Sunworshipper" SW@GWNTUNDRA wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 05:00:02 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote

[...]

You should see the herring gulls at Great Slave Lake in the N.W.T. They
wheel around and gorge on baitfish (alewives) as the lake trout attack the
schools on the surface. It looks just like the gulls and bluefish in NJ.

And it's one heck of a long way from salt water.

--
Ed Huntress

Last Saturday I went down to the river thinking few people would be
camping when it is so hot (for the north), but it was packed. Except
one bug haven site, so I'm walking down the path close to the water
and see a fish skull. A couple more steps and I'm maybe 5 feet from
the water and I hear the tree above me creek and a huge bald eagle
directly zenith is raising its wings for the first (stroke?) and it
was completely silent until the first push of its wings which where
maybe a foot further on each side of the length of my out stretched
arms. I watched it fly away and I looked down for my next step and the
grass was all white from bird ****. Gave me that freaky feeling like
the Predator movie with Arney.

SW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 05:00:02 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote

Hope Aaron is feeling good tomorrow. I really wanted to get this done
before hot weather, but HoneyDew's sod trumped this hand...........

More photos as they develop, no pun intended.

Steve

Bubba just called. Sick again, going to the doctor, suspects strep.
Damn.

Here's a link to pictures that show a little of my side of this planet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Steve

Aridzona?

Gunner

27 miles into Utah from the southern border. About the same distance east
of the Nevada line. Does look a lot like Aridzona, tho. 3750 elev, right
at the juniper transition. We go on ATV rides down into Aridzona, but just
during the Tri-State ATV Jamboree. The rest of the year, Aridzona requires
your ATV to be street legal, turn signals, horn, all that. Not a lot to see
in Aridzona once you've seen a few hundred cacti. Much prettier in Utah.
And cooler.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Sunworshipper" SW@GWNTUNDRA wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 05:00:02 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote

[...]

I am in an agricultural zoning, so anything is called "stock shade" by the
owner. The trusses will be open up to the sheets covering, space above
intended to take sun load off containers, not for storage, although there
may be a little up there. Roofs of containers are weak, and not a lot of
room.

The eagle just comes here in the dead of winter, and leaves a month before
the first hint of spring.

Your encounter down on the river was uncommon. We used to go to Nelson, and
Willow Beach a lot back in the days before mankind ruined them both.

Nine trusses in 40' spaced 5' apart, chicken boards 5' O/C.

Gotta go get a roll of wire. Always run out at the worst times.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 19, 7:00*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Steve B" wrote

Hope Aaron is feeling good tomorrow. *I really wanted to get this done
before hot weather, but HoneyDew's sod trumped this hand...........

More photos as they develop, no pun intended.

Steve

Bubba just called. *Sick again, going to the doctor, suspects strep. *Damn.

Here's a link to pictures that show a little of my side of this planet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Steve

Don't Fence Me In -- no cayuse though... .
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 07:22:27 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 05:00:02 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote

[...]

My kid lives in one of the suburbs of Salt Lake City with his wife and
kids.

Ive been through Utah..but never spent more than a week there...and then
mostly in the mid 70s when I worked for an oil company.

Nice place.

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve Ackman" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 07:22:27 -0700, Steve B wrote:

Much prettier in Utah.

I'd have to disagree.

And cooler.

It was 62.6F @ 14:00 yesterday in these here parts
of Aridzona, where we got 1.02" of rain (3.09" for the
month to date). "Current" webcam capture out the
kitchen window is at
http://wizard.dyndns.org/snapshot.jpg

Utah and Aridzona are very similar in the respects that they are like three
or four different states within one state. The northern part of Arizona,
well, part of it, is heavily forested, and just beautiful. Then there are
the desert parts. Same with Utah. Lots of topographical regions, all very
different.

I would say the biggest difference is the number of illegals running through
the yards here in Utah. Much fewer here. I saw a black man yesterday. It
is an unusual occurrence when I see a black person, probably every two
months or so. There are a lot of illegals around, and they just busted a
big marijuana farm in Enterprise. Funded by cartel money. It's everywhere,
just a little less here. Salt Lake City has all the violence of LA on the
nightly news. Utah laws are a little more strict and enforced by the local
entrenched moral and religious legislators to ensure locals have first crack
at most jobs. Was just a big change in the documentation of workers, and an
increase in fines for employers who violated statutes.

And out here in the country, we just shoot prowlers, no matter what
flavor.........

Still, Utah is prettier than Arizona.............. neener, neener, neener

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 10:13:52 -0700, Steve B wrote:

"Steve Ackman" wrote in message

It was 62.6F @ 14:00 yesterday in these here parts
of Aridzona, where we got 1.02" of rain (3.09" for the
month to date). "Current" webcam capture out the
kitchen window is at
http://wizard.dyndns.org/snapshot.jpg

Utah and Aridzona are very similar in the respects that they are like three
or four different states within one state. The northern part of Arizona,
well, part of it, is heavily forested, and just beautiful.

Much of the eastern part as well... except for the
537,000 acres that just burned recently.

Then there are the desert parts. Same with Utah. Lots of
topographical regions, all very different.

Yup. I've got a bunch of pictures of southeastern
Utah. Fairly flat grasslands mostly bordering on
barren. Then around where the Mormons came across
(also SE) is much more deserty with rock formations.

I would say the biggest difference is the number of illegals running through
the yards here in Utah. Much fewer here.

~Zero here. How do you have fewer than that?

[...]

Still, Utah is prettier than Arizona.............. neener, neener, neener

I can't argue with that. That Grand Canyon thing
Utah has is just phenomenal.... Oh, wait....

More normal temperatures today.

Low Temperature 04:55 60.8
High Temperature 13:55 91.0
BUT, it was only over 90 for ~15 minutes.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 08:14:12 -0500, Sunworshipper wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 05:00:02 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:
Here's a link to pictures that show a little of my side of this planet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Bald eagle ! Is it lost? Never mind, I'm still in awe when I see Sea
Gulls in Nevada, Utah, & up here. I just assumed they had to have salt
water. Like whole parking lots full of them in L. V. NV..?

I occasionally see sea birds here (55 mi. N of YNP), eg pelicans.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61108728@N04/sets/72157627233864496/
shows a flight of them last Sunday.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61108728@N04/sets/72157627131816047/
shows an osprey nest -- on a baseball-field lightpole near the
Yellowstone River -- last weekend.

Last Saturday I went down to the river thinking few people would be
camping when it is so hot (for the north), but it was packed. Except one
bug haven site, so I'm walking down the path close to the water and see
a fish skull. A couple more steps and I'm maybe 5 feet from the water
and I hear the tree above me creek and a huge bald eagle directly zenith
is raising its wings for the first (stroke?) and it was completely
silent until the first push of its wings which where maybe a foot
further on each side of the length of my out stretched arms. I watched
it fly away and I looked down for my next step and the grass was all
white from bird ****. Gave me that freaky feeling like the Predator
movie with Arney.

--
jiw

The next ten days Steve B[_3_] Metalworking 5 January 6th 10 05:27 AM
OT-143 days Wes[_2_] Metalworking 154 July 9th 08 04:01 AM
O/T: It' Been One Of Those days Lew Hodgett[_2_] Woodworking 12 May 2nd 08 10:57 PM
Win XP goes off after 30 days [email protected] Electronics Repair 33 March 5th 08 01:30 AM
$759,350.00 in 20 to 60 days!!!!!!!!! arfykins Woodturning 0 March 19th 05 12:01 AM