Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: It' Been One Of Those days

Today was a day to run errands.

It was 98F when I left, so turned on the truck A/C.

It didn't work. Made a mental note to stop at the shop that serviced
it last fall, on the way back home.

Stopped at Sam's made a pickup.

While there, looked for a power strip that was needed as a result of a
puter update.

Had a big display of power strips along with a $40 price tag.

Didn't need to buy the whole store, just a power strip.

Decided to pass and headed for the A/C shop.

Afternoon rush hour was beginning and traffic was heavy, but we got to
the area, but couldn't find the shop, it was GONE.

(Would learn later they had gone out of business)

Oh well, live and learn, they had been in business less than a year.

Headed to Target, found a power strip for $7.

It will fit my needs so grab one and head for the check out.

There is ONE (1) register open and 10 people in line, with no hope of
another register opening any time soon.

If Target wants to inventory their customers, that is their business,
but I choose not to participate.

Left the merchandise on a counter and walked out of the store.

Next was Home Depot.

Found a couple of power strips for $7/pair and was able to pay for
them without waiting in line.

That hasn't happened in a long time.

One "Attaboy" for Home Depot.

Next the supermarket.

Look for an ad to check out the weekly specials, but couldn't find it.

Turns out the store ran out of ads.

Based on the above, "you gotta be tough to shop", has new meaning.

Glad I don't shop often.

Tomorrow is fix the A/C day.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Today was a day to run errands.

[major snippage]

Same here.

Up at 5 and feed the pussy cats.
Off to the Lake Inn for coffee and lies with the Old Farts Club.

Head off to Running Springs for breakfast at the Deep Creek Drive In
(great Huevos a la Mexicana) with the Train Freak and the town Preacher.

Down the hill to Highland and the Wal-Borg parking lot to wait for Train
Freak's buyer who has money for him. Get the once over from at least
one security guard.

Off to the Orange Borg for some redwood boards (commission to build a
park bench for a memorial). Get gas at the cheap station for $3.90.
Twitch.

Thence to Fart and Sminal. His Reverendship also works at a nearby
church camp and needs a half ton of chocolate bars for smorze (sp?).

It's warming up (later to hit 95dF) so up the hill for us. High
yesterday in Green Valley Lake was about 64dF. :-)

Sticker the boards for acclimatization. Then some fruit, coffee and a
cookie. Read some of the paper and take a nap.

The rest of the day was nowhere near as exciting and would certainly be
anticlimactic.

mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 29, 12:51*pm, jo4hn wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
[...]

Wow... how DO you manage....?
Posted to rec.woodworking

You must ex-civil service with all that training.

jo4hn wrote:

Snipped part about doing a lot of nothing, but very
busy.

The rest of the day was nowhere near as exciting and would certainly be
anticlimactic.

mahalo,
jo4hn

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 30, 4:34*pm, Pat Barber wrote:

You must ex-civil service with all that training.

Actually... the dude *is* a rocket scientist. For real!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Apr 30, 4:34 pm, Pat Barber wrote:

You must ex-civil service with all that training.

Actually... the dude *is* a rocket scientist. For real!

Akshimally, the key word should be *was*.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 1, 12:04*am, jo4hn wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Apr 30, 4:34 pm, Pat Barber wrote:

You must ex-civil service with all that training.

Actually... the dude *is* a rocket scientist. For real!

Akshimally, the key word should be *was*.

Any of your efforts still floating up there?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On May 1, 12:04 am, jo4hn wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Apr 30, 4:34 pm, Pat Barber wrote:
You must ex-civil service with all that training.
Actually... the dude *is* a rocket scientist. For real!

Akshimally, the key word should be *was*.

Any of your efforts still floating up there?

I didn't do much in the way of rocketry either. My gig was in data
capture systems. I started with the Lunar Surveyor and Mariner projects
(moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars) doing real time operating system design and
development. I did some work on Viking (Mars), Voyager (outer planets
and beyond), Pioneer (several), Galileo (Jupiter), Ulysses (sun polar
orbiter), and system support for several others. Ended up defining
international standards for self defining data structures. Lotsa fun.
Retired in '99 and moved to paradise (kind of).
mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 1, 5:45*pm, jo4hn wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On May 1, 12:04 am, jo4hn wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Apr 30, 4:34 pm, Pat Barber wrote:
You must ex-civil service with all that training.
Actually... the dude *is* a rocket scientist. For real!
Akshimally, the key word should be *was*.

Any of your efforts still floating up there?

I didn't do much in the way of rocketry either. *My gig was in data
capture systems. *I started with the Lunar Surveyor and Mariner projects
(moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars) doing real time operating system design and
development. *I did some work on Viking (Mars), Voyager (outer planets
and beyond), Pioneer (several), Galileo (Jupiter), Ulysses (sun polar
orbiter), and system support for several others. *Ended up defining
international standards for self defining data structures. *Lotsa fun.
Retired in '99 and moved to paradise (kind of).
* * * * mahalo,
* * * * jo4hn

That sounds fascinating. I love all that crazy space stuff. I often
visit Hubbel's collection of pics and just sit there and oogle them in
awe.
And that capsule drop on Titan? You couldn't keep me away from the
NASA site...

So you weren't involved with the crew that held up the picture of the
earth, as a back-drop, when the moon landing was staged/faked?
And...wouldn't it be true, as Earth is as flat as a pancake, but you
looked at it with a fish-eye lens, wouldn't it 'appear' to be
spherical?
And... how DOES Bugs keep his carrots fresh all the way to Mars.. then
chews on them without a helmet?
I have a LOT of space-related questions...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah... I know... I was just screwing around
with him.

Robatoy wrote:
On Apr 30, 4:34 pm, Pat Barber wrote:

You must ex-civil service with all that training.

Actually... the dude *is* a rocket scientist. For real!

Posted to rec.woodworking

jo4hn wrote:

Ended up defining international standards for self defining
data structures.

Lotsa fun. Retired in '99 and moved to paradise (kind of).
mahalo,
jo4hn

Uh, Jo4hn, paradise (kind of) ain't no way 96F in April. Sounds more
like somewhere in Texas or California to me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

jo4hn wrote:

Ended up defining international standards for self defining
data structures.

Lotsa fun. Retired in '99 and moved to paradise (kind of).
mahalo,
jo4hn

Uh, Jo4hn, paradise (kind of) ain't no way 96F in April. Sounds more
like somewhere in Texas or California to me.

Would this face lie to you?? :-)
j4

Win XP goes off after 30 days [email protected] Electronics Repair 33 March 5th 08 01:30 AM
Is everything around $400 these days? MRS. CLEAN Home Repair 8 November 6th 06 08:29 PM
Those were the days! bobandcarole Electronics Repair 12 September 18th 06 06:39 PM
Vacation days ... Cliff Metalworking 2 April 11th 05 07:02 PM
$759,350.00 in 20 to 60 days!!!!!!!!! arfykins Woodturning 0 March 19th 05 12:01 AM